Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, newbie here from Wisconsin and BIG THANKS to this community I have narrowed down my tractor selection to the 2038R. However, I am struggling with attachments and where to buy. TTWT and Good Works suggest buying all your attachments from JD with your tractor, but then also suggest buying 3rd Party attachments. If I had an endless budget I would love to buy everything directly from the JD dealer, i.e. 220R Front Loader, 60" or 74" mower deck, 3-point quick attach, tiller, dethatcher, brush hog, forks, grapple, and front-end snowblower but looking at nearly $40k that way. I like saving money by buying good products from the 3rd Party "small guys" and NOT paying for the name!

So is there a one-stop-money-saving-shop to buy all of your attachments? Or do you follow TTWT discounts and buy 1 thing here and 1 thing there?

Thanks so much in advance for your time! Happy New Year!

·
Registered
849 Posts
If you buy JD attachments at time of purchase you can finance them all at one time.

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Buy as many attachments as you can afford when you buy new, if using JD finance. Then buy used if you can find them. Then buy what you want, where you want, when you can afford them.

I screwed up and bought a backhoe two years after I bought the tractor. DON’T be like me!!

·
Super Moderator
5,665 Posts
The advantage to buying them through Deere when you buy your tractor is that they roll all the attachments into the price and it all gets financed at 0% interest. So it makes sense for implements you know you need right up front (i.e. loaders, mower decks, etc..) If you are going to buy them anyway, why not get free financing?

But most people find they want/need some other implement at a later point in time. Some folks insist that it has to be Deere as well. Others but strictly on price, where it's made, etc...

I don't follow TTWT so I don't see his discounts. I end up buying most of my implements at Tractor Supply. They may ne be top of teh line but I've found everything I've bought there to be more than good enough and the costs are competitive with most other places (if not better than...). But they don't carry every possible implement either so...

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I would buy a front end loader and backhoe from Deere at the time of purchase. Same with a midmount mower. Rear mowers, box blades, rear blades are all interchangeable within size and will fit any tractor with the same size 3 point hitch so you can buy those from any supplier.

If you are financing, it does make some sense to roll as many attachments that you are sure you need/want into the purchase but at least get the tractor specific things like a FEL, mid mount mower or backhoe at purchase. Then this group can help you spend more money until it's all gone. . .

Treefarmer

·
Registered
744 Posts
Buying with your tractor from the dealer gets you a good bang for your buck. They should give you some good deals on pricing if you buy all that with your tractor. Sometimes if you find the original manufacturer of Frontier branded attachments you can get them from one of their dealers. I’ve picked up a lot of attachments from Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace and auctions. Those are good sources if you’re not in a hurry and willing to be patient and look for deals. Farm stores like Rural King, TSC or Farm and Fleet have some decent stuff too. Everything Attachments is also a great place to get well made USA made attachments shipped to you. Their Wicked grapple and box blades look to be really good.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
When I bought mine the quick hitch was 120$ cheaper if you bought it with the tractor. also the Mid mount mower and endloader and backhoe. are cheaper has a package than one at a time. Also get the tires you want and perhaps the dual rear SVC's Good luck I love my 2038R

Reactions: JTG and 414concrete

·
Registered
731 Posts
...They should give you some good deals on pricing if you buy all that with your tractor. ..
That, and being able to finance it all at 0% is the advantage to buying it all up front. I think a dealer is going to put a lot more effort in closing a $40k deal than working with someone who walks in every 2 years buying a single implement. I'd have them work up the package with the stuff you know you want from JD (loader, deck, snowblower, etc.) and negotiate from there. The generic stuff (like box blade, brush hog, etc.) you can buy anywhere as needed.

·
Premium Member
2020 2038R w220R MSL
113 Posts
Assuming you don't already have a tractor, I think you will find that like many us here, after you have had a tractor for awhile you don't really use it for what you thought you would use it for before the purchase. When I bought my 1026R back in 2012, I really thought I would use it 80% for mowing and 20% for loader work. The reality had turned out to me the reverse of that. At that time I didn't know they made grapples for tractors that small (again a mowing mindset...) Now I have a bunch of stuff. (That darn TTWT is completely to blame!)

I wouldn't worry about it too much at this stage. A big part of the fun is determining new uses and what it takes to accomplish the new use.

Time to go plow the driveway. Something I used to pay to have done...

·
Premium Member
3,173 Posts
The only thing I bought with my tractor was a loader, mid mower, and quick hitch. If you take a look at my signature you'll see I shop around. I was able to double the amount of 3 point attachments I own by buying used. Sometimes they require a little elbow grease to get them QH compatible but saved allot of money. I had to totally rebuild a set of disc but in the end I still payed half and ended up with practically a brand new set.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for your information! I understand the 0% financing is a great option; however, you are still paying more for the attachments through a JD dealer than if you were to go through a third party with other attachment brands. Is Everything Attachments the best comparison site?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am debating whether or not to purchase a backhoe due to the amount of use. What are some consistent uses for the backhoe? Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
602 Posts
I am debating whether or not to purchase a backhoe due to the amount of use. What are some consistent uses for the backhoe? Thanks in advance!
Very expensive ballast. ;)

Reactions: JTG and Roger47

·
Registered
517 Posts
With a thumb you can use it to pick things up! Rocks, small logs, Like a mini grapple on the back. It will be sad but useful to bury animals and pets. I've used mine to tear down fences, will soon dig post holes since i dont have a PHD. I've dug a lot of stumps, A grinder would be better probably but I dont have one. When I'm cutting wood, It's actually my chainsaw, log chain, and tool carrier. I have a 150 ft Electric bury to do after spring, I have about 50 ft water line bury to do sometime in the future. A septic leachfield repair coming up too. (n) In the spring I also have a 100 ft electric bury job waiting for me on someone else's property, kinda exciting. An unusual tasks is I used the outriggers to lift my rear end for wheel removal and spacer install. There are lots of tasks if you're creative. I never want to live without one again !

Reactions: JTG and Roger47

·
Registered
601 Posts
Very expensive ballast. ;)
With a thumb you can use it to pick things up! Rocks, small logs, Like a mini grapple on the back. It will be sad but useful to bury animals and pets. I've used mine to tear down fences, will soon dig post holes since i dont have a PHD. I've dug a lot of stumps, A grinder would be better probably but I dont have one. When I'm cutting wood, It's actually my chainsaw, log chain, and tool carrier. I have a 150 ft Electric bury to do after spring, I have about 50 ft water line bury to do sometime in the future. A septic leachfield repair coming up too. (n) In the spring I also have a 100 ft electric bury job waiting for me on someone else's property, kinda exciting. An unusual tasks is I used the outriggers to lift my rear end for wheel removal and spacer install. There are lots of tasks if you're creative. I never want to live without one again !
I agree wholeheartedly with both these posts. We have used the backhoe to dig holes to plant trees, bushes, rhubarb, etc. Dig for footings for a greenhouse. Dig large rocks from the garden and strawberries. Put in a "culvert" through the road leading into our place to eliminate a major mud hole. Other projects as well. Many of which would not have happened without the backhoe. And of course as expen$ive balla$t.

·
Registered
211 Posts
When I bought mine the quick hitch was 120$ cheaper if you bought it with the tractor. also the Mid mount mower and endloader and backhoe. are cheaper has a package than one at a time. Also get the tires you want and perhaps the dual rear SVC's Good luck I love my 2038R
And if you're ordering the tractor, the mounting and hydraulic plumbing will be done at the factory during the build saving you even more. Not an issue for a box blade.

Reactions: JTG

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
602 Posts
And if you're ordering the tractor, the mounting and hydraulic plumbing will be done at the factory during the build saving you even more. Not an issue for a box blade.
Only power beyond for the backhoe. Any other hydraulics for SCV's, the MMM, etc, are dealer installed options, as are the attachment kits for the MMM.

Reactions: JTG

·
Registered
140 Posts
I bought my 2032r from an individual, so I have not purchased directly from a dealer. I understand the thought of 0% when purchasing, but if the frontier implements are $100-$200 more per attachment, then 0% is actually costing you more out of pocket, easily $1k more (essentially 10% or more interest) with what you have listed. Now, I would purchase the loader, backhoe, deck, and rear scvs at time of purchase. I just wouldn't purchase everything else at once because chances are you don't need them all at once and unless they are the same price as Rural King, or Titan Attachments, marketplace, or others, it doesn't make financial sense. I have gotten my backhoe buckets from bxexpanded for $150 cheaper than JD, wheel weights were $60 less per weight from Taylor foundry (and suitcase weights are less as well), pallet forks from titan attachments were $150 less. When I priced a tiller, it was $300 less at RK. TKV20 was $700 or more from dealer. You get the point. With a backhoe, I cleared out 10 stumps for neighbors this year at $150 each, which helps to pay for it not to mention the 7 I took out of my yard so far that they wanted $250 each to stump grind when they cut the trees down. I have the harbor freight quick attach which was $130 less than dealer and I have no issues. I could have bought 2 for what JD wanted for theirs. And regardless of popular belief, my Tractor seems to work and run the same despite the implement manufacturer.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I think you need to watch the specific implements a bit more closely when comparing. I just bought a BB2060 after looking at a variety of brands. They list it at 465 lbs. If you compare other BB's in that weight range it was actually cheaper to buy than many of the other options. If you want a light duty box you certainly can spend less, but I have found with both a disk and a BB now that when comparing like to like the frontier implements were competitively priced.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts