Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new 2038R (and tractor in general) owner and I'm looking for a good heavy duty box blade for leveling rocky soil and I want one that would last for years. I came across Everything Attachments which seemed to be better than what I could get at Tractor Supply. I was looking at one weighing 660 pounds at 72", but it says it's for 50-70HP. It's model EA Severe XTreme Box Blade Category I & II V2.0
(https://www.everythingattachments.com/Severe-XTreme-Duty-category-I-II-Box-Blade-p/eta-cati-ii-xdbbv2.htm)

Would the 2038R be capable of pulling this, or is the extra 100 pounds over similar 72" box blades really going to cause me problems?

·
Registered
4 Posts
2038 r tractor

I'm a new 2038R (and tractor in general) owner and I'm looking for a good heavy duty box blade for leveling rocky soil and I want one that would last for years. I came across Everything Attachments which seemed to be better than what I could get at Tractor Supply. I was looking at one weighing 660 pounds at 72", but it says it's for 50-70HP. It's model EA Severe XTreme Box Blade Category I & II V2.0
(https://www.everythingattachments.com/Severe-XTreme-Duty-category-I-II-Box-Blade-p/eta-cati-ii-xdbbv2.htm)

Would the 2038R be capable of pulling this, or is the extra 100 pounds over similar 72" box blades really going to cause me problems?
I have th jd 60 bought it used nut looks new.well satisfied. I use it for ballast when using bucket for med. to light work. Also when using bucket I use box blade to loosen soil. It does a good job.

·
Registered
83 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts

I have a frontier BB2072 box blade that I pull with my 2038R and it works like a charm. You can also find my video on YouTube of me pulling the box blade with my 2038R by searching “HomesteadJoe 2038R”.

Sincerely

Attachments

·
Fit Rite Hydraulics
641 Posts

Here's a heavy duty unit. Most likely last longer than the tractor.

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
IMHO, 72" is a bit large for these machines. You may be OK with it though, depending on what you do with it.

I have less HP but my 2520 has no problem with this. It is definitely heavy duty too.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for all the information.

Would more weight of a heavier duty unit (900+ lb) be fine, if I stayed with a narrower unit (60-65")? I assume it is mostly the width that causes problems?

Edit: Looks like that was operating weight which I am assuming includes the weight of dirt? I was looking again and most of the 60-65" units are in in the 450-600lb range.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Do you have any weight on the rear tires like wheel weights or filled tires? Like I said before my tractor loses traction before it runs out of horsepower. For me a lighter implement means I can drag more dirt before having the tires spin. The weight shown on web sites is the actual weight of the implement not working weight of dirt and implement.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you have any weight on the rear tires like wheel weights or filled tires? Like I said before my tractor loses traction before it runs out of horsepower. For me a lighter implement means I can drag more dirt before having the tires spin. The weight shown on web sites is the actual weight of the implement not working weight of dirt and implement.
I don't at the moment due to using a mid-mount mower and wanting to protect my lawn as much as possible.

So it sounds like if I have wheel weights, I would have a better chance with a heavier blade, which I would prefer since heavier is like built tougher and I have rocky soil which could be tough on a lighter duty frame.

Assuming traction wasn't an issue, is a 900lb box blade + dirt a challenge for a 2038R? Or would a 550lb blade + dirt be all the load I should put it under?

·
Fit Rite Hydraulics
641 Posts
I don't at the moment due to using a mid-mount mower and wanting to protect my lawn as much as possible.

So it sounds like if I have wheel weights, I would have a better chance with a heavier blade, which I would prefer since heavier is like built tougher and I have rocky soil which could be tough on a lighter duty frame.

Assuming traction wasn't an issue, is a 900lb box blade + dirt a challenge for a 2038R? Or would a 550lb blade + dirt be all the load I should put it under?
Why wheel weights? Thinking that you would take them off and on? You won't, no one does other than to service the tractor when required for that part of the tractor.

Without paying BIG $$$$, you won't be getting that 900lb box blade, new anyway. Second choice would be at a minimum of 120lb per foot width, so 600lbs for a 5' BB.

Weight is your friend when it comes to grading, so as long as the tractor will handle it, that is what you would be best off IMO. Probably nothing over 700lbs for your 2038R and have no issues. I really good box blade for the 2038R would be this unit, an RO 650.

Being able to get all the rippers in the ground with a tug on a lever is almost as good as hydraulic actuated units.

Attachments

·
Fit Rite Hydraulics
641 Posts
I'm intrigued by the roll over design and will probably go this route. I appreciate all the help!
The roll over box blades are what was used for many many years commercially before the hydraulic actuated box blades came about. They were built by Gannon originally (until 2005) and a bit heavier than the ones available today.

We have 3 of them, a 36" for the garden tractor, a 65" unit for the 32 HP and an 81" unit for the 75 HP tractor. They are not as heavy as the industrial units with hydraulic rippers, but typically heavier than the std type box blades. All work very well and are quite a bit less $$$$ than the box blades with hydraulic actuated rippers.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
697 Posts
You'll notice the manufacturer's rating is for 45hp and up tractors. They're matching up power to yesteryear's models, in which a 45HP tractor was in the 3 or 4 series sized tractors. There's definitely a reason for that. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I asked about box blades not too long ago, for my 2520. You can search for the thread by my ID. Lots of good info there. Short summary was: don't go too big - stick with 60". After getting mine I'm glad I did. When I loaded the blade up with gravel it was all the 2520 could do to maintain traction pulling it on level ground.

Rob

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I think I've decided a 60" would be perfect for my 38HP. It doesn't look like people get rid of box blades, so probably going to have to look for a new one.

Has anyone bought a new rollover blade that they could share their price on?
It looks like RhinoAg, Bush Hog, and Dirt Dog all make/sale them, with no prices listed online.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts