Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a new 2038r and would like to get a 3pt. chipper. I have read previous posts. I am interested I the WoodMax 8800 and 9900 and also Woodland Mills. Wanted to know if anyone has had any new experiences with any of these chippers? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I use my MX-8800 quite a bit and still highly recommend it. My newest experience with it is that when you forget to set the parking brake and engage the pto, it'll snap the shear pin. Since the pto starts and stops real quick, bye bye pin... That's pure operator error, though... :laugh:

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
I have the MX-9900 chipper. It's a beast!! If it will fit inside the 9" intake chute, it will chip it!!

In my opinion, whatever you get, make sure you get something that's hydraulic feed. There are differing opinions on this, but I've found the hydraulic feed allows me to do 2-3 times the amount of work in the same amount of time with the same amount of effort on my part.

I'm pretty sure that Woodland Mills is a Canadian company that imports chippers. This is pretty much what WoodMaxx's model is/was before they started making the 8800 and 9900 models.

You will pay a premium for the WoodMaxx models you've listed, but I think that the product is top notch!

Reactions: rtgt

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. Seems to go through that pine quite well, 90% of what I need to chip is pine. Do your blades get gummed up with sap? Do you feel the 8800 is pretty well matched to your tractor? Does it lug your engine down easily? Do you expect to have abnormal wear of your PTO? Sorry for all the questions, Ive used rental units and I’m trying to determine if this would be a viable alternative. Thanks

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
I have the 9900 and do feel that it's pretty well matched for my 3520.

I'm not sure what size Bubber's tractor is - if it's more closely aligned to yours.

I don't expect any unusual wear on the PTO. It's doing what it's supposed to be doing - powering an implement. Unless something is out of whack on the PTO shaft, you shouldn't have any problems.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have a Woodland Mills WC-68, and it's first class! I also own a Woomaxx snowblower.
You can't go wrong with either company!
As mentioned hydraulic or mechanical feed with reverser an absolute must.

When I was young ,trimming every shrub and tree on my property, the "Old" guy livin next door said "cuttin is the easy part, cleaning up takes work". So true! (now I'm the Old guy)
With a chipper it is so easy to clean up. Cut an area, move on to the next, put it in the barn :good2: Love this thing!

The woodland mills I have weighs about 700lbs. Some of these chippers can easily get over 900lbs. The backhoe on my 2520 weighs about 750 so this is a good match I believe. Don't know its back there. It handles 4 in. stuff easily. Doesn't bog the engine at all as the PTO spins a hydraulic pump on the chipper and if it bogs down it simply stops feeding.

It loves soft green wood and pine, much easier on the blades IMHO.

Here is a thread you may want to look at...
http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/implements-attachments/116330-wood-chipper-question-5.html

Would post pics but site doesn't let me anymore.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Seems to go through that pine quite well, 90% of what I need to chip is pine. Do your blades get gummed up with sap? Do you feel the 8800 is pretty well matched to your tractor? Does it lug your engine down easily? Do you expect to have abnormal wear of your PTO? Sorry for all the questions, Ive used rental units and I’m trying to determine if this would be a viable alternative. Thanks

I had the feed rate pretty slow in that video, It'll chip a branch that size quite a but quicker than that. Everything stays pretty clean, gumming hasn't been an issue so far. I like the 8800 and feel it's well suited to the 2032r Classic. With hydraulic feed (a must have IMO), you can vary the intake speed so that you won't bog it down. It will amaze you how much it can take and how fast. That giant flywheel is there to keep things moving and take the shock out of the system. I don't foresee any issues with the PTO.

Pluses of the 8800 vs the 9900 (<- as it applies to me, this is not a statement of one being "better" than the other)
  • Price - I was approaching the top of my budget after I added the complete maintenance kit and premium pto shaft.
  • Weight - It's 850 lbs and it is pretty high and far back. My property isn't flat and since my tractor weighs ~2,000 lbs, 850 is enough back there.
  • Hydraulic fluid capacity - 2 quarts. Even if you lost the entire system, it isn't that much (motor) oil.
  • 2 blades instead of 4 - Less to have sharpened, or replace. Less cuts per rpm, keeps the speed up (This may be considered a minus is some respects too, ymmv)
Really for me, it was price and weight mostly. From my experience and mark02tj's feedback, I don't think you would go wrong with either of these animals.

If I can answer any more questions for you, fire away.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a Woodland Mills WC-68, and it's first class! I also own a Woomaxx snowblower.
You can't go wrong with either company!
As mentioned hydraulic or mechanical feed with reverser an absolute must.

When I was young ,trimming every shrub and tree on my property, the "Old" guy livin next door said "cuttin is the easy part, cleaning up takes work". So true! (now I'm the Old guy)
With a chipper it is so easy to clean up. Cut an area, move on to the next, put it in the barn :good2: Love this thing!

The woodland mills I have weighs about 700lbs. Some of these chippers can easily get over 900lbs. The backhoe on my 2520 weighs about 750 so this is a good match I believe. Don't know its back there. It handles 4 in. stuff easily. Doesn't bog the engine at all as the PTO spins a hydraulic pump on the chipper and if it bogs down it simply stops feeding.

It loves soft green wood and pine, much easier on the blades IMHO.

Here is a thread you may want to look at...
http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/implements-attachments/116330-wood-chipper-question-5.html

Would post pics but site doesn't let me anymore.
Thanks for the link, I think I missed this one. In the future I may have some WoodLand questions for you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had the feed rate pretty slow in that video, It'll chip a branch that size quite a but quicker than that. Everything stays pretty clean, gumming hasn't been an issue so far. I like the 8800 and feel it's well suited to the 2032r Classic. With hydraulic feed (a must have IMO), you can vary the intake speed so that you won't bog it down. It will amaze you how much it can take and how fast. That giant flywheel is there to keep things moving and take the shock out of the system. I don't foresee any issues with the PTO.

Pluses of the 8800 vs the 9900 (<- as it applies to me, this is not a statement of one being "better" than the other)
  • Price - I was approaching the top of my budget after I added the complete maintenance kit and premium pto shaft.
  • Weight - It's 850 lbs and it is pretty high and far back. My property isn't flat and since my tractor weighs ~2,000 lbs, 850 is enough back there.
  • Hydraulic fluid capacity - 2 quarts. Even if you lost the entire system, it isn't that much (motor) oil.
  • 2 blades instead of 4 - Less to have sharpened, or replace. Less cuts per rpm, keeps the speed up (This may be considered a minus is some respects too, ymmv)
Really for me, it was price and weight mostly. From my experience and mark02tj's feedback, I don't think you would go wrong with either of these animals.

If I can answer any more questions for you, fire away.
Thanks for the helpful info. I may contact you again for info during the decision process.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,123 Posts
We have chipped a lot of pine here and the only problem I have ever had is with the chute clogging up with pine needles.
With out a doubt our chipper has been a blessing to have.

Reactions: rtgt and Bubber

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
GREAT post by Bubber on his reasons for getting the 8800 over the 9900!! :good2: I did have to chuckle though, because many of his reasons for favoring the 8800 were the same reasons I favored the 9900! Perfect example of "what's right for one guy isn't right for another!".

Like Bubber, I was considering budget as part of my decision, but decided to go with the extra expense. I was fortunate that business was good when I made the decision and the cash flow was available to go with the increased "investment". I also bought the USA made PTO shaft and the "spare parts kit" which added to the cost.

I liked the 4 blades vs. 2 blades - the WoodMaxx guy said that it was more efficient. Didn't really consider the cost and effort of replacing the extra blades.

I liked the adjustable legs on the 9900. I was able to perfectly align the unit so the PTO shaft was almost perfectly horizontal. I thought that I might use the adjustability of the legs when storing the unit, but that hasn't been the case.

I liked the fact that the intake area could be closed for a smaller storage footprint. Space is at a premium so I wanted the smallest footprint that I could get to maximize my storage space.

The 9900 weighs in somewhere in the 900 lb range. My tractor is a bit bigger than yours so it's a good fit.

I think that the hydraulic system is pretty much the same on the two units. It's pretty nice and very self contained!

One thing to consider when looking at the chippers is the height of the discharge chute. The chute on my old Bearcat was too high to let me get it through the garage door so I had to store it outside. I made sure the that the chute on the WoodMaxx would go through the door. I didn't consider the height when I bought my Bearcat so I thought I'd point it out for your benefit.

The only downside of my purchase experience with WoodMaxx was that the delivery took a while longer than I was initially told. Part of the delay was due to late spring snow storms that they had in the Buffalo area, so I understand that. Part of the reason was also that they underestimated their workload. Overall, it was OK as I had a lot of flexibility, but I was still anxious to get it.

Looking forward to seeing what you decide!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Budget is somewhat of a consideration after buying the tractor,fel,mmm and blower and having to get a tiller and chipper yet, I don’t think I can swing the 9900.

Storage is a concern, the way it is I just about have to build another building just for attachments. I was leaning toward the Woodland Mills because of the flip up intake. What confuses me about the ratings that these companies use to determine tractor hp needed. Woodland Mills tells me their 8” chipper would be to large for the tractor and recommends the 6”. WoodMax recommends the 9900 and 8800 for the tractor. The flywheel weight of the WoodMax is much heavier than the WoodLand Mills. I’ll have to rethink this a bit. Thanks for all your input.

·
Premium Member
1,914 Posts
I am leaning towards the MX-9900. I like the efficiency of the 220lb 4-badaed 26 1/2" flywheel. I have a lot of land clearing ahead of me and already have an enormous pile of brush that needs chipping..... I think BadAss will handle the MX-9900 without issue.....

Sincerely,

Deere 2038R 145.jpg

Deere 2038R 144.jpg

Deere 2038R 142.jpg

Deere 2038R 141.jpg

Grapple 032.jpg

Grapple 026.jpg

Reactions: Jep and rtgt

·
Registered
778 Posts
Great thing about the large models- the feed chute is horizontal! Easier to feed the large stuff!
You will love it!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I still haven’t decided on the WoodMax or the WoodLand Mills. I’m undecided because WoodLand Mills says their 8” chipper is to large for a 2038r and WoodMax says the 8800 would work out. Will the 8800 actually chip a 8” piece using
a 2038r or is that unrealistic.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
I still haven’t decided on the WoodMax or the WoodLand Mills. I’m undecided because WoodLand Mills says their 8” chipper is to large for a 2038r and WoodMax says the 8800 would work out. Will the 8800 actually chip a 8” piece using
a 2038r or is that unrealistic.
I will say that my 9" 9900 will chip a 9" log. I do turn the feed rate way down, but it does it. If it will fit through the chute, it will come out in tiny pieces! Beware - it is possible to get something stuck in the chute! :banghead:

I am leaning towards the MX-9900. I like the efficiency of the 220lb 4-badaed 26 1/2" flywheel. I have a lot of land clearing ahead of me and already have an enormous pile of brush that needs chipping..... I think BadAss will handle the MX-9900 without issue.....
According to TractorData, your 2038R is 37.3 engine HP and 30 HP at the PTO. According the TractorData, my 3520 is 37.0 engine HP and 30 HP at the PTO. My 3520 handles the 9900 without complaint. :good2:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts