Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone else seen corrosion inside their fuel tank in the threaded area of the filler neck? Every time I remove the filler cap it seems to be more corroded. Not sure if it's just mine, or are others seeing the same type of issue. I'll tell you, it urks me just a little bit more each time I see it..... I would appreciate some feedback on this annoying issue.... I am thinking about submitting a warranty claim on this, especially if others are not observing the same issue.....

Sincerely

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,203 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I guess I’m confused, what in the fuel filler neck or the cap is a ferrous metal that can rust? Aren’t these filler necks and caps all plastic :unknown:

Reactions: Herminator

·
Premium Member
13,672 Posts
I guess I’m confused, what in the fuel filler neck or the cap is a ferrous metal that can rust? Aren’t these filler necks and caps all plastic :unknown:
They were plastic on the Gen-1 2-series but it appears JD is mirroring the issue that recent 1-series owners are having. According to the parts illustration JD is putting a threaded insert and chain in the top of the tank just like on the 1-series (which is also experiencing rust and corrosion issues).

Attachments

·
Registered
459 Posts
Has anyone else seen corrosion inside their fuel tank in the threaded area of the filler neck? Every time I remove the filler cap it seems to be more corroded. Not sure if it's just mine, or are others seeing the same type of issue. I'll tell you, it urks me just a little bit more each time I see it..... I would appreciate some feedback on this annoying issue.... I am thinking about submitting a warranty claim on this, especially if others are not observing the same issue.....

I will post a photo of the area in question later today when I get home....

Sincerely
i havent noticed anything but i will take a look when i get home.
I'll take a look as well. Haven't noticed anything to date but to be honest I haven't looked too hard.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Mine had the issue pretty bad. I ordered a replacement metal neck and it hasn't started again yet. Maybe the new parts are better quality plating.

2017 2038r, 220r loader, 72" MMM, 66" EA Box blade, Woodmax FM-62 flail mower, Artillian forks, JD KBL 6' 1950s discs, subsoiler

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
No issue with mine. 2018 model about 18months old

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine had the issue pretty bad. I ordered a replacement metal neck and it hasn't started again yet. Maybe the new parts are better quality plating.

2017 2038r, 220r loader, 72" MMM, 66" EA Box blade, Woodmax FM-62 flail mower, Artillian forks, JD KBL 6' 1950s discs, subsoiler
How do those metal sleeves come off? It appears to be crimped onto the plastic filler neck?

Any info on replacement is appreciated. Did they give the part under warranty?

Thanks

Sincerely

Reactions: rtgt

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts

Sincerely
Man that looks awful Joe. Mine doesn't show any corrosion at all. I have probably 220 hrs on my 2017' 2032R. Stored indoors. Maybe it's a northern/snow issue. Whatever the case it's definitely not something that you caused. I would have a discussion with my dealer and see what they say.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Man that looks awful Joe. Mine doesn't show any corrosion at all. I have probably 220 hrs on my 2017' 2032R. Stored indoors. Maybe it's a northern/snow issue. Whatever the case it's definitely not something that you caused. I would have a discussion with my dealer and see what they say.
Same Big, no issues with mine. About the same amount of hours as yours.

·
Registered
626 Posts
How do those metal sleeves come off? It appears to be crimped onto the plastic filler neck?

Thanks

Sincerely
There are 4 metal tabs you just bend up so they stop catching the plastic tank. Then the metal insert unscrews (normal direction). I had to tap on one of those tabs with a screwdriver and hammer to initially loosen it. 2 min replacement.

I didn’t bother with warranty. I know I should have, but the part was cheap enough that I just ordered from GreenPartsStore since that’s so easy.

You want the metal insert and a replacement o-ring that goes under it. L80418 and L112337.

Looking at my records I replaced it 3 months ago and it hasn’t started rusting yet.

I also removed the chain while I was at it. Otherwise I would have needed to replace the rusting chain too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 2038r 72” MMM Command Cut 220r loader

·
Premium Member
10,601 Posts
I have the same metal insert on my 3039R, two years old, 280 hours.

I haven't seen any signs of corrosion and since the 1025R thread, I have been looking.

·
Premium Member
6,371 Posts
No rust at all but it never sees the cold either.

Reactions: PJR832 and rtgt

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Thanks

Sincerely
There are 4 metal tabs you just bend up so they stop catching the plastic tank. Then the metal insert unscrews (normal direction). I had to tap on one of those tabs with a screwdriver and hammer to initially loosen it. 2 min replacement.

I didn’t bother with warranty. I know I should have, but the part was cheap enough that I just ordered from GreenPartsStore since that’s so easy.

You want the metal insert and a replacement o-ring that goes under it. L80418 and L112337.

Looking at my records I replaced it 3 months ago and it hasn’t started rusting yet.

I also removed the chain while I was at it. Otherwise I would have needed to replace the rusting chain too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 2038r 72” MMM Command Cut 220r loader
Great info. Thanks! I will also be replacing both parts!

Sincerely

·
Super Moderator
5,709 Posts
I mentioned in another thread, why in the h*#l does JD feel using metal parts in newer 2 and 3 Series tractors' fuel tanks is necessary! Maybe it was intern engineers that decided the design!:mocking:

I assume the 1 Series is still all plastic.

·
Premium Member
13,672 Posts
I mentioned in another thread, why in the h*#l does JD feel using metal parts in newer 2 and 3 Series tractors' fuel tanks is necessary! Maybe it was intern engineers that decided the design!:mocking:

Nope! The newer 1-series also have the metal insert and owners have been complaining about the rust. In fact, it was the 1-series owners who first exposed the corrosion problem.

·
Administrator
18,832 Posts

Nope! The newer 1-series also have the metal insert and owners have been complaining about the rust. In fact, it was the 1-series owners who first exposed the corrosion problem.
Correct, see the link in post #2.

Reactions: kylew and PJR832

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Are those who are experiencing rust using additives for diesel fuel. Like anti gelling additives?

1 - 20 of 71 Posts