Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All -

Finally settled on a 2038R and feeling really confident after a major back and forth!

Now I am faced with the dilemma of the backhoe. I really want to get it and have plenty of need for it, but I can't figure out what's best. I can buy it in the initial order and roll it into the payments, but it would add an extra $100 a month which is no small bit of change.

My other option is to wait and just buy it outright when I have the money, but even then it will be tough to swallow laying out $8,500.

Probably not the best idea, but does anyone have any experience buying one used from a reputable dealer? Any pointers or advice?

Many thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
6,526 Posts
Buy it now with the tractor. Every time someone says "Oh, I'll get the tractor now and buy a backhoe later when I need it!" ends up finding out that Deere has changed backhoe models and the model they need are few and far between in the used equipment market. Used backhoes, by themselves, pretty much don't exist. Look through the "Wanted to Buy" section here on GTT and you'll find numerous people looking to buy a backhoe. Very few of them find one. If they do it's always on the other side of the country. Safe yourself some grief. Buy now.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
If you have that much use for it, buy it with the tractor. If you aren't sure, but you think you have some use for it, save the money and rent a mini ex when you have work for it. Don't try to buy it later.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Buy it now with the tractor. Every time someone says "Oh, I'll get the tractor now and buy a backhoe later when I need it!" ends up finding out that Deere has changed backhoe models and the model they need are few and far between in the used equipment market. Used backhoes, by themselves, pretty much don't exist. Look through the "Wanted to Buy" section here on GTT and you'll find numerous people looking to buy a backhoe. Very few of them find one. If they do it's always on the other side of the country. Safe yourself some grief. Buy now.
Thanks Jim, appreciate the reply!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have that much use for it, buy it with the tractor. If you aren't sure, but you think you have some use for it, save the money and rent a mini ex when you have work for it. Don't try to buy it later.
Thanks for the reply. I keep going back and forth with it. Ugh.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Buy it now as I can't tell you how many guys I have heard say they would wait and buy something like a loader later only to find that the dealer changes them or discontinues something. You will only find something later if you are very lucky AND live a very long time.

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
The one piece of of advice I would give you is to make sure whatever 270B you purchase, make sure it comes with the upgraded bucket cylinder so this doesn’t happen to yours.
Sincerely

Reactions: JD3

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
NOW NOW NOW. Got it?

I waited two years, looking for a used 270B which I never found, and finally paid out of pocket. Ouch.

This backhoe is so interesting and the level of engineering is superb. Get it new. Get it installed.

Reactions: JD3 and scooterman

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The one piece of of advice I would give you is to make sure whatever 270B you purchase, make sure it comes with the upgraded bucket cylinder so this doesn’t happen to yours.
Sincerely
View attachment 756212
Thanks Joe! Now the bigger problem is do I pull the trigger on the 2038R or figure it out to get the 3039R... UGH very hard process.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Unless you are going to use it a lot... Save your money... rent a mini excavator when you need to dig.

That said.. sounds like you made that decision already

If you are going to use it a lot.. buy it with the machine for sure.
If you buy it with the machine.. the warranty on the hoe is longer (2 years)... matches the tractor comprhensive warranty..
If you buy it separate.. its only 1 year.. yuck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts