Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
Unit
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone ever add food coloring or a pigment to make it easier to see fluids when checking levels?

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
4,229 Posts

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
It's strong! I think it takes about 5 drops per gallon of oil maybe?

Reactions: Upset264

·
Registered
2,247 Posts

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,802 Posts
The JD Hydro Oil dye is especially handy in the winter. Often when backing up while plowing, you will leave a trail of drops on the pavement, which are usually water drops from snow melting due to exhaust, etc. But when you have a hydro leak, you also drop the same drops. Having them red with the dye has made seeing the leaks much easier. I can't tell you how many times with the front quick hitch I would bend or break a 90 degree fitting on the angle cylinder on the plow and it makes spotting the red drops MUCH, easier........Before the dye, I would get off the tractor from time to time to make sure the drips and drops weren't a hydro leak. Now, no need unless you see the blood trail.................from the dye.

Also, the 1 series shoots the exhaust at the front hitch area and between a top flap on the plow and the exhaust heat, no ice forming to bend the 90 degree angle cylinder fitting to cause the leaks..........On my 455, I bent the fitting so often, I kept 4 in stock. I have yet to damage one on the 1 series even after 300 hours of snow plowing..........

·
Registered
649 Posts
This ties into one of my threads in the SCUT forum. One word of advice that I didn't follow. That stuff dries up in the jar as it sits on the shelf. I bought a jar, took it home and when I opened it a couple of weeks later there was maybe 1/10 of what I had expected to be there. Word of advice, if you pick it up from a parts counter, open it before walking away.

Other word of advice is that it stains everything it touches....but WD40 will wash it off of your skin pretty effectively.

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
4,229 Posts
This ties into one of my threads in the SCUT forum. One word of advice that I didn't follow. That stuff dries up in the jar as it sits on the shelf. I bought a jar, took it home and when I opened it a couple of weeks later there was maybe 1/10 of what I had expected to be there. Word of advice, if you pick it up from a parts counter, open it before walking away.

Other word of advice is that it stains everything it touches....but WD40 will wash it off of your skin pretty effectively.
The jar is only about 1/4 full to begin with. I just bought some and I filled the jar with Hy-Gard to keep it from drying up.

·
Registered
649 Posts
The jar is only about 1/4 full to begin with. I just bought some and I filled the jar with Hy-Gard to keep it from drying up.
I should have done the same. Still have the jar, might try diluting the residue to get a bit more out of it.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.