Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2021 John Deere 2038R, 220R NSL Loader, 60D MMM
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. Just upgraded to a 2038R and took delivery about a month ago. Tractor has just under 14 hours on it. Was doing some work in the yard today, put the tractor in neutral, applied the parking break and hopped off to grab something. Turned around and hydraulic fluid was leaking down the center console. Shut the machine off immediately to do some investigation, photos below.

I haven’t looked at a parts diagram yet, but I’m assuming must be something to do with power steering. Anyone have any tips/pointers for an easy solution, or this pretty much a shop job? Anyone experience the same issue on their machine?

Obviously machine is still under warranty… quite perturbed to say the least with so few hours on the machine. Only issue I ever had with my 1025R was the “falling 3 point hitch” problem.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Green Motor vehicle Hood

Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood

Green Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,941 Posts
The only thing up there with hydraulics is the steering. I would get in there with a light and a wrench to see if one of the hose connections is just loose. If not then unfortunately ta call to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
3,632 Posts
If you have a "Blue Ultra violet " light it is helps to find oil leaks. Good luck keep us informed on what you find out.

Reactions: Yank and CJSteves

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Hi All. Just upgraded to a 2038R and took delivery about a month ago. Tractor has just under 14 hours on it. Was doing some work in the yard today, put the tractor in neutral, applied the parking break and hopped off to grab something. Turned around and hydraulic fluid was leaking down the center console. Shut the machine off immediately to do some investigation, photos below.

I haven’t looked at a parts diagram yet, but I’m assuming must be something to do with power steering. Anyone have any tips/pointers for an easy solution, or this pretty much a shop job? Anyone experience the same issue on their machine?

Obviously machine is still under warranty… quite perturbed to say the least with so few hours on the machine. Only issue I ever had with my 1025R was the “falling 3 point hitch” problem.
Product Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive air manifold

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
question is why you are wrenching on it its all-warranty work
I’m guessing probably because if he doesn’t have a trailer to drop the tractor off, the dealer will try to charge him a pickup and delivery fee which isn’t covered under warranty. And if its just a loose fitting, why not try to fix it yourself?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’m guessing probably because if he doesn’t have a trailer to drop the tractor off, the dealer will try to charge him a pickup and delivery fee which isn’t covered under warranty. And if its just a loose fitting, why not try to fix it yourself?
Got a nice trailer, dealer is 40 minutes away, if it was just a loose hose I’d rather fix it myself than haul it up there and wait for god knows how long to get it back. I use my machine every other day and certainly every weekend so it will really mess up my plans to lose it for several weeks. Last time I spoke to someone there, it was 3-4 weeks out to even look at something.

I did end up removing the hood cowl and the body panel below it, but I was not in any way interested in tearing out the floor panels etc.

Didn’t see anything telling, looks like the oil is coming directly from the seal on top of the hydraulic control valve near the interface where they steering wheel mounts to the control valve. Will post a pic below. Didn’t look like any loose hoses could be tightened to solve it unfortunately.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The only thing up there with hydraulics is the steering. I would get in there with a light and a wrench to see if one of the hose connections is just loose. If not then unfortunately ta call to the dealer.
Thanks Herminator! I did some looking hoping to get confirmation that it was just a hose, but looked like it was more serious when I got the lower body panel removed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Got a nice trailer, dealer is 40 minutes away, if it was just a loose hose I’d rather fix it myself than haul it up there and wait for god knows how long to get it back. I use my machine every other day and certainly every weekend so it will really mess up my plans to lose it for several weeks. Last time I spoke to someone there, it was 3-4 weeks out to even look at something.

I did end up removing the hood cowl and the body panel below it, but I was not in any way interested in tearing out the floor panels etc.

Didn’t see anything telling of exactly what might have caused the failure, looks like the oil is coming directly from the top side of the hydraulic control valve right below where the steering wheel universal joint connects to the valve.

Thanks 414Concrete! Very helpful schematic, I’ll have to find one that gives more detail of the steering assembly/valve interface.

Did you purchase a repair manual somewhere, or are you using Deere’s online resources to find these schematics? Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
9,941 Posts
I agree. I was hoping it was not the valve. I have not seen a lot of issues on any of the tractors with this valve leaking, especially new. A loose hose would not have surprised me but it certainly looks like it’s coming from the highest point.

Reactions: kylew

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Likewise, I was really hoping it was a loose hose, but when I saw it coming from the highest point I figured there wasn’t much point in looking at the bottom of the valve assembly. Bummer.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Thanks 414Concrete! Very helpful schematic, I’ll have to find one that gives more detail of the steering assembly/valve interface.

Did you purchase a repair manual somewhere, or are you using Deere’s online resources to find these schematics? Thanks all!
I bought the Tech Manual from JDparts. A must have.

This is as detailed of a schematic I could find in the TM. Maybe there is more information in JDparts for the specific part G101 Steering Valve.
Font Parallel Screenshot Line art Paper

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi All, figured I’d post an update. Tractor has been with dealer for 3 weeks now and have not had a call back with a status update.

I know they are busy this time of year with big $ equipment for their large ag customers, so I was trying to be patient and not call them at all. Figured I’d have heard something by now at least with a diagnosis and an ETA.

I gave in and called earlier this week, was told that the tech working on it was out in the field and no paperwork had been turned in on it yet.

Thankfully I put a GPS tracker with a vibration sensor on the unit when I bought it (peace of mind) and I can tell when someone so much as sits down on the machine or opens the hood. I know they have been working on it or at least moving it because I have seen some activity from the tracking device.

Hopefully I’ll get it back soon, lawn is already green where we are and will need first mow of the season soon…

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Hi All, figured I’d post an update. Tractor has been with dealer for 3 weeks now and have not had a call back with a status update.

I know they are busy this time of year with big $ equipment for their large ag customers, so I was trying to be patient and not call them at all. Figured I’d have heard something by now at least with a diagnosis and an ETA.

I gave in and called earlier this week, was told that the tech working on it was out in the field and no paperwork had been turned in on it yet.

Thankfully I put a GPS tracker with a vibration sensor on the unit when I bought it (peace of mind) and I can tell when someone so much as sits down on the machine or opens the hood. I know they have been working on it or at least moving it because I have seen some activity from the tracking device.

Hopefully I’ll get it back soon, lawn is already green where we are and will need first mow of the season soon…
I hope they get it repaired for you soon; I wouldn't be happy either, with equipment setting at the dealer for a month.
But I also interested to know which make/model GPS tracker you installed. I know there a many out there, but you picked one and are apparently satisfied with it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I used a brand called Scout. Here is their website:

I purchased the sort of “industrial” model, it included a 12v wiring setup so I could wire it directly to my battery and never had to worry about charging it. I’ve been very happy with it, you can set up alerts for when it goes outside of a specific zone and it has some other features that I like, without being overly complicated.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Thanks for the link. Looks like the links are not working, but they do offer an email contact form. I wanted it to pass along to a friend who has a high-dollar jobsite construction trailer (think tool$$$$$).

Let us know what the dealer does for you on your tractor service ticket.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
It looks like there is no Frame on this model from that pic up several posts.

Is drive shaft from motor to trans non existant on this model or whats going on there?

·
Premium Member
9,941 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I went back and found my original order in my email, it was $99 for the tracker itself, and it was $149 for the service. The only problem is I can’t tell you how many years that was.

I know it’s at least two years of service because this is about the time I bought it back in 2020 and I don’t think I’ve been charged since then.

Despite the website appearance, it was evident they were a small company when I placed my order. I had a couple questions on setup and I emailed the contact form.If I remember correctly, the name on the email address I was corresponding with was the same name of the sender on the package that the unit arrived in.

I was very satisfied with the build quality, and it works impressively. I was actually thinking of getting another one of their mini battery versions for one of our dogs who is a little bit of a wanderer 😂

Oh, and I think they are all still made in the USA, so that’s nice. Although I’m sure it’s not all domestic content, at least it’s designed and assembled here it seems.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts