Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening all... I have a bit of an odd question & hopefully yall can provide some input. I'm in the process of building my "mini farm" on about 5 1/2 acres & have been back and forth between a 2038R or its bigger brother, the 3039R. For my use and after watching several videos on youtube from Elk Creek Acres (great channel in my opinion), I'm somewhat sold on the 2038R except for one thing...

I'm 6'5 and am concerned if I'll have enough room or will be comfortable enough running a 2038R. I've been able to sit in 3R & 3E series tractors in the past and have felt fine in those seats & had adequate room. I've sat on a 2025R and felt a little cramped. Have yet to be able to sit in a 2032 or 2038.

With what I intend to use the tractor for (running a disk, tiller, compact manure spreader, fertilizer spreader, rotary mower, and the occasional front ender loader work) and with only having 5 acres & seeing the tractor in action, the 2038R really has my attention.

Any thoughts or input on if the 2038R would be a good fit for someone of my height? I'm guessing most don't have the height thing to worry about, but any input would be welcome! Hopefully I'll be able to come across a 2038R and see first hand, but haven't been able yet.

·
Premium Member
Tator
17,263 Posts
Thanks for the kind words, I am Mr. Elk Creek Acres btw. (y)

As you know, I've had a 2025 and a 2038R, the 38R is definitely roomier than the 25R was. There might be a minimal increase in room on the 3R, they are a little wider. I honestly can't remember, and yes, I've sat on all of them at one time or another

As you know, I'm quite biased towards the 2038R, but from what you plan to do it would be a good choice for you. Make sure if you do that you get it with the 220R MSL, that will give you about 1400#'s of lift. I would also recommend the R3 radial tires, or R1's if you don't plan on doing much yard work/mowing with it. The R4's are terrible for traction on anything other than dry conditions.
I do think the 3R's are a very nice capable tractor, but they are also in need of an updated operator's station, especially compared to the 2R's.

·
Premium Member
10,339 Posts

·
Premium Member
Tator
17,263 Posts
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

As you know, I've had a 2025 and a 2038R, the 38R is definitely roomier than the 25R was. There might be a minimal increase in room on the 3R, they are a little wider. I honestly can't remember, and yes, I've sat on all of them at one time or another

As you know, I'm quite biased towards the 2038R, but from what you plan to do it would be a good choice for you. Make sure if you do that you get it with the 220R MSL, that will give you about 1400#'s of lift. I would also recommend the R3 radial tires, or R1's if you don't plan on doing much yard work/mowing with it. The R4's are terrible for traction on anything other than dry conditions.
I do think the 3R's are a very nice capable tractor, but they are also in need of an updated operator's station, especially compared to the 2R's.
Nice to meet you! It's pretty rare for me to comment on youtube videos, but I certainly do enjoy the content you put out there and your first hand knowledge on the 2038R. Thanks for the input on the 2038R and 3R series as far as space goes as well. All the video & pictures I've seen, the 2038R looks like a good fit. I'm keeping my eyes and ears open for one I can test sit in before pulling the trigger though. I'll be going with the R1 tire option when the time comes since all the work it'll be doing is "farm" related. Semi off topic from the tractor... I've seen a Colorado or Canyon pick up in some of your videos. Have you pulled the tractor and trailer with it and if so, how'd it pull? I have an 18 Chevy Colorado Z71 myself thats been a good truck.

13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm 6'5" as well, and have the 2032R (same size, lower horsepower). It's very comfortable for me, I would sit on one if you can, but I don't think you're going to be cramped. As Pat said, the operator station on the 2Rs is a huge improvement.
Great to see someone the same height as me running a 2R series. Glad to hear you find it comfortable. I'll be doing my best to locate one to sit on before purchasing but it's good to hear someone my height likes it. I haven't thought much about it until now, but if I can mow grass for an hour or two on a "cheap" John Deere mower from Lowes, I should be comfortable in a 2038R lol. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
The 2032/38R are on a larger frame than a 2025R. In my opinion ,They shouldn't all be in the 2 category together.
I'm 6 ft and have a 1025 and have plenty of room in the operator station.

I think a large 2 sounds like a good match for you! If I were buying one, I would take Pat's advice on the MSL. It's incredible lift capacity on a small machine.

Next time you are at a dealer, ask if they have any large 2's in for service. My dealer has no inventory so they have to show off models that are in for repair. The only downside is you can't test drive them.

13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The 2032/38R are on a larger frame than a 2025R. In my opinion ,They shouldn't all be in the 2 category together.
I'm 6 ft and have a 1025 and have plenty of room in the operator station.

I think a large 2 sounds like a good match for you! If I were buying one, I would take Pat's advice on the MSL. It's incredible lift capacity on a small machine.

Next time you are at a dealer, ask if they have any large 2's in for service. My dealer has no inventory so they have to show off models that are in for repair. The only downside is you can't test drive them.
Everything I see, read, and watch regarding the 2038R, has me hooked and thinking the same thing that it'll be a good match! Next time I take a drive, I'll have to stop by a dealer and see if they have any in for repair where I can do a sit test. Down here is peanut & cotton country and John Deere has the market, unfortunately my nearest dealer is a 45 min drive lol.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Great to see someone the same height as me running a 2R series. Glad to hear you find it comfortable. I'll be doing my best to locate one to sit on before purchasing but it's good to hear someone my height likes it. I haven't thought much about it until now, but if I can mow grass for an hour or two on a "cheap" John Deere mower from Lowes, I should be comfortable in a 2038R lol. Thanks for the input!
I don't blame you for wanting to test sit one before pulling the trigger but I wouldn't wait around too long. If you think you want one you should probably start aggressively searching for any available around you and get the ball rolling with a sales person. From what I hear and read these compact tractors are getting really tough to come by. Especially the 2 series tractors.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have never been on 2 series. I’m 6’8” and have no problems on my 1025r open station I suspect you will be fine on any of them. I realize there isn’t anything in the world that was designed to fit me.

·
Premium Member
Tator
17,263 Posts
Have you pulled the tractor and trailer with it and if so, how'd it pull?
Yes, I had an '18 Colorado. I trailered it just one time, when I went to swap out the NSL for the MSL. The truck handled it with no troubles, plenty of power and ride to spare. If I were to trailer it on a regular basis I would definitely move up to a full size truck, I think a HD (2500) would be overkill, simply a little more truck like a 1500 would be better IMO.

·
Registered
2038r
391 Posts

I’m in the process of making a deal on. 2038r, how do you know if the tractor is equipped with the MSL option?

·
Premium Member
Tator
17,263 Posts
I’m in the process of making a deal on. 2038r, how do you know if the tractor is equipped with the MSL option?
You will need to clarify that with your salesman. It should state that in your paperwork, but unless you specifically asked for the MSL chances are your quote is for the NSL.

·
Premium Member
Tator
17,263 Posts
AKA, Hollywood.
Oh yeah, I forgot about the TV commercial. ;)

Still airing today, guess they haven't gotten tired of me yet. :ROFLMAO::LOL:

·
Premium Member
4,978 Posts
Oh yeah, I forgot about the TV commercial. ;)

Still airing today, guess they haven't gotten tired of me yet. :ROFLMAO::LOL:
Of course they won't get tired of ya. They're waiting on you to buy a fourth tractor :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.