Green Tractor Talk banner

Which way should I go?

2038R Options / Buying Advice

4K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  BobbyG81 
#1 ·
Hey all, just looking for some insight as I go through the buying process. Ideally I’d like the “TTWT” package: MSL loader, radials, all the hydraulics, backhoe. I have two nearby dealers who can each get me some of what I’m looking for, but neither can get all of the components in a reasonable time frame. No, they won’t cooperate, I’ve asked a couple times!

For background, we’ve got 13 woody acres and some animals to care for. I previously had a B2650 with R4s which was a good size but too light and a little underpowered. We got a lot done with it but am upgrading to a heavier and more capable machine. The tires tore up the area around the house, so hoping the radials help with that. Most of my loader work was with forks, so I think the MSL will add convenience, safety, and capacity.

Here’s what my choices have come down to:

A: Radials, NSL and backhoe, available mid-November, 84 month 0%, package price ~$1,500 lower
B: R4s, MSL, available now (in stock!), backhoe at some point in Jan, 60 month 0% (84 available with up-front financing fee)

Neither had the third function or remotes on hand, so I mayadd those in the spring. The big dilemma is whether to go with the MSL loader or radials. Either could theoretically be swapped out later, but I’m guessing tires would be easier?

Any advice would help, looking to make a decision this weekend.

See less See more
#7 ·
What Trav said is 100% correct.
Unless your dealer is willing to work some sort of crazy special deal to swap loaders later at super cheap price and I can't imagine they would, since what are they going to do with a used loader other then have to sell it as a used one which would mean at much cheaper price.

I have had an 440R MSL loader on order for my 4066R that was supposed to have arrived in 3 months. which now has been 3 months plus and was recently bumped out another month , so who knows when it might get here, it could easily get bumped out further next month.

To trade in my NSL for the MSL plus adding LSS is costing me about $3500 trade difference. My other area dealer I trade with really didn't want my loader on trade and after 3 weeks of messing with them, they never did come out and give me a trade value for the old 440R NSL loader, which is not that old 2019 about 200 hours on the whole tractor. So used loaders are not an easy trade to deal with.

If the core of what you want is there on the ground today, and you can build it into what you want over time, that is likely your best bet in this crazy world we live in these days.

Plus who knows, that is not a tire size I have really ever researched, but I know with my 2025R there is now better tire choices out there then what Deere is currently offering, same goes for most all my tractors. There is lot of tire choices on the market these days and more coming out all the time. Seems the hybrid turf radial is really gaining market share/popularity these days. Some dealers are just use to ordering the same old R4s and don't realize the market has shifted to the radial hybrids now days.

Reactions: BobbyG81 and trav
#3 ·
Get the msl now. R4s are the best tire anyway (y)

#5 ·
R4s are the best tire anyway (y)
Did you hit your head when you were younger? :unsure: :LOL:

The best all-around tire for these machines are the R3 radials. They really need to be the standard tire offered by Deere.

#4 ·
Get the MSL now.

#6 ·
Sounds like you have an actual use case for the MSL and not just "because it's better". Get that. If you wait a bit there's a chance Galaxy's newer Garden Pros will become available that aren't as skinny as the current Deere size. I have MSL and radials, and while I just got my machine I do kind of wish the OEM sized radials were a bit wider.

#14 ·
FWIW, I am waiting for a mower deck to arrive for my tractor, but the SCV and 3rd function kits were easy for the dealer to get.
I would expect that if you are already waiting for the backhoe then those shouldn't weigh your decision.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

#17 ·
My radials i waited 6 months for. I was the first at my dealer to order them. Glad i have them. Has far has the third function kit I went with the WRLong kit and it was very easy to install and Easy to operate. Homestead Joe has a video on You Tube on his install. I don't use my loader much so i have no thought on the MSL or not.

Reactions: BobbyG81
#18 ·
It really seems like replacing the tires/wheels would be a lot easier to deal with. You could keep a second set or probably find someone to sell them to easier than selling the NSL...have having 2 loaders around doesn't sound great when it comes to storage versus another set of tires.

Reactions: BobbyG81
#19 ·
Seems like there’s an obvious way to go here… just called dealer B and will be signing the paperwork Saturday.

May still be a few days for delivery, the tractor was ordered sans loader so they have to install the frame and all.

Will either wait until backhoe comes in to add hydraulics… or do an epic video walkthrough of me installing factory third function, remotes AND power beyond at once!

#20 ·
I had the dealer install my extra remotes and power beyond like most people do. My backhoe is late just like yours will be, and had I known, I kinda wish I'd have just done the install myself. As it is I had to go fix a few issues that the dealer screwed up, and while I didn't get the factory third function, that looks like a somewhat involved install.

#24 ·
Just wanted to post a shout-out to my dealer. They got everything in at the dealership and started to prep the tractor, only to realize a part was missing from the dual remote kit! They ordered a new kit, but instead of waiting they got creative and were able to make a trade. They started assembling today and should be able to deliver next week!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.