Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
Tator
15,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yesterday I installed the radiator screen kit from a 3038E, it was a very simple and straight forward install. The kit comes with the screen, the two guides and hardware. The radiator shroud already has the four holes in it for the guide bolts and the right side guide as a bracket already on it for the radiator overflow hose. The radiator overflow on mine was bolted to one of the guide holes, so I simply had to move it about an inch to mount it to the included bracket. I did shim the top main brackets to move the tranny/fuel coolers out, but this was only to give me a little more room. The screen comes with a lip, probably about 3/16" on the bottom of the screen, I actually ground this off carefully. Now the screen slides in and slides out with ease. It is a bit more work getting the screen in and out than it was on my 1023 and 2025, however, this screen is at least twice the size of them screens. I'm hoping for this to be a game changer come brush hogging season, that is honestly the only reason I wanted this.
The entire install took about 45 minutes, the only tools needed are a 10 & 13 mm wrench, and a ratchet with 10 & 13 mm sockets.
My intention was to show the bulk of this in the video, but it is a small work area. By the time I got my arms, a flashlight and wrenches in there I think the only thing you would have seen in the camera was the back of my hands and arms. But, this is a very simple and straight forward install and I am certainly not a JD tech.

·
Registered
25,345 Posts
Are you talking about a debris screen between the radiator and hydro cooler?

My tractor has one - I find it hard to believe they eliminated it especially on an R model.

·
Premium Member
Tator
15,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you mind posting a couple pictures? And do you happen to have the part numbers and cost?
The link is in the video description and my opening post.

·
Premium Member
Tator
15,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

My tractor has one - I find it hard to believe they eliminated it especially on an R model.
Yes Stan, a little disappointed myself when knowing this tractor didn't have one.

Reactions: Herminator

·
Registered
25,345 Posts
Yes Stan, a little disappointed myself when knowing this tractor didn't have one.
Nice that you could retrofit one in. That screen is a must in my opinion.

I’ve never had much of a build up on the front of my radiator thanks to that screen. And mowing with the belly mower throws all kinds of thatch into the front of the tractor.

I’ve seen some posts where some guys had debris really compacted in there and never knew it until prompted to take a very close look.

·
Registered
25,345 Posts
Pat - not seeing a video link. Just a link to the parts diagram for the screen.

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts

They eliminated the radiator debris screen on a lot of the newer tractors. The theory is that the mesh in the grill is fine enough to prevent debris from getting into the radiator. Unfortunately a lot of owners find that a lot of debris still sneaks its way into the radiator. JD should probably offer a retrofit kit for these tractors.

·
Premium Member
Tator
15,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Pat - not seeing a video link. Just a link to the parts diagram for the screen.
Sorry about that, I've edited my original post, thanks Stan.

The video is not the best, once I got in there with wrenches, two arms and a flashlight it would have made for some pretty bad views with a camera, but it's honestly a very simple install.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
That's a worthwhile upgrade! Nice.
Something that should still be OEM standard.

·
Premium Member
7,940 Posts
Thank you for posting this.

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
I purchased one of these screen kits this past winter and I have not yet had a chance to install it. I think it cost around $50 or thereabouts.... I was just cleaning up BadAss last weekend getting ready for a Spring Servicing and I noted how dirty and clogged my radiator was... I used high pressure water to clean it out. Thanks for sharing the video! I will be sure to post photos of my screen installation once it is installed.
Sincerely

·
Premium Member
Tator
15,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Premium Member
Tator
15,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
It has been brought to my attention that the parts link I posted is only for the screen itself. If one were to purchase all the pieces individually it is around $180. The kit itself is $50+/-, the part number for kit is pictured below.

Here is the correct link

Sorry for the mislead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
Tator
15,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Still not the correct link.
It works when I pulled it up, but, the internet is still not perfected, that's why I also included a photo of the box w/part number.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts