Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So below is from the manual, which is so well worded. "Exit seat for rear PTO operation without the operator on seat." How do you exit the seat WITHOUT the operator on seat? Anyhow my issue is I can get the SECOND way to work but not the first way. I always have to engage the PTO and HOLD the override while exiting the seat, based on these instructions I should be able to engage the PTO AFTER I leave the seat. STEP 7 below is a very confusing step I read the first sentence as just an FYI which should not be there in instructions on HOW TO as labeled as a STEP. But then the second sentence I take as "Exit the tractor seat", not sure why they worded it in such a confusing manner.

FROM MANUAL:

Operate Rear Power-Take-Off (PTO)—Operator off Seat

1. Sit on the operator seat,
  2. Lock the park brake.
  3. Move the 2-speed range lever to the N position.
  4. Start the engine.
  5. Set engine speed to 1500 rpm or less.
  6. Move the PTO control lever (A) to Position (B) - Rear PTO only.
  7. If the seat switch is engaged (operator sits in the seat) and then disengaged (operator leaves the seat) during PTO out of seat operation, the PTO will automatically disengage and “Operator Out of Seat” will display on the information display.
    Exit seat for rear PTO operation without the operator on seat.
  8. Push PTO/RIO switch forward to the engaged/on position.
  9. Adjust the hand throttle lever forward to the desired speed for the implement used.
Another option to operate the PTO with the operator out of seat is:

1. While rear PTO only running, set park brake.
  2. Press and hold PTO/RIO switch while exiting seat.
  3. PTO will remain running without the need to restart the engine.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
If you have the parking brake on and you are standing beside it you should be able to walk over to it and start and stop the rear pto at will. Both ways work with mine.

Reactions: The Satch

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you have the parking brake on and you are standing beside it you should be able to walk over to it and start and stop the rear pto at will. Both ways work with mine.
Hmm that does not work for me.

Question for you, I noticed that i have to PUSH the PTO engage switch all the way forward to engage the PTO no matter what. Is that normal or should the PTO engage by just flipping the switch to run. I wonder if my switch is not working properly.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Hmm that does not work for me.

Question for you, I noticed that i have to PUSH the PTO engage switch all the way forward to engage the PTO no matter what. Is that normal or should the PTO engage by just flipping the switch to run. I wonder if my switch is not working properly.
This is normal, you have to push it into its momentary position to start the PTO.

Herm's method always works for me as well, emergency brake set, rear PTO only, gear selector in neutral (which it has to be for the tractor to run without you in the seat) and the PTO spins right up.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep i checked all those settings and it does not work for me :(. It does work if I do the hold PTO switch while exiting, just not turning it on and off from the tractor seat which would be so much more convenient. I wonder what could be wrong to cause this issue.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Yep i checked all those settings and it does not work for me :(. It does work if I do the hold PTO switch while exiting, just not turning it on and off from the tractor seat which would be so much more convenient. I wonder what could be wrong to cause this issue.
What do you mean "from the seat"? It sounds like you are turning it on from the seat? Did you mean from out of the seat?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only way the rear PTO turns of for me is with me seated in the seat. If I need to exit the seat and keep the PTO running I have to hold the PTO switch while getting up. This works, this is the SECOND version of how you can run the rear pto without being in the seat. The other way is to turn it ON AFTER you get out of the seat, this method does not work for me.

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
1,109 Posts
  • If the seat switch is engaged (operator sits in the seat) and then disengaged (operator leaves the seat) during PTO out of seat operation, the PTO will automatically disengage and “Operator Out of Seat” will display on the information display.
  • Push PTO/RIO switch forward to the engaged/on position.

You must exit the seat BEFORE enabling the PTO.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I try turning on the rear PTO when not seated I get the "Operator out of seat" error.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
  • If the seat switch is engaged (operator sits in the seat) and then disengaged (operator leaves the seat) during PTO out of seat operation, the PTO will automatically disengage and “Operator Out of Seat” will display on the information display.
  • Push PTO/RIO switch forward to the engaged/on position.

You must exit the seat BEFORE enabling the PTO.
I am doing this, this method does NOT work for me. I have to engage it BEFORE exiting the SEAT and HOLD the PTO switch while getting up (you can release it after you are up). ( this is the second method for keeping the PTO running when you leave the seat).

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
1,109 Posts
Does it display an error message on the dash?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Does your machine shut down if you have the emergency brake set and the gear selector in neutral and then you leave the seat? I'm wondering if your seat switch is faulty

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does your machine shut down if you have the emergency brake set and the gear selector in neutral and then you leave the seat? I'm wondering if your seat switch is faulty
Nope that is fine, I can exit the machine with it running with no issues. So I think the seat switch is working, if i do not have it in N it will kill the machine, but in N with brake it is fine.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I plan to remove the front snowblower this weekend, maybe the RIO sensor on the snowblower interfere someway, not sure why it would

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I plan to remove the front snowblower this weekend, maybe the RIO sensor on the snowblower interfere someway, not sure why it would
This triggers a memory, I think that is the case, the snowblower circuit affects how the PTO operates. Hopefully someone else can confirm

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
This triggers a memory, I think that is the case, the snowblower circuit affects how the PTO operates. Hopefully someone else can confirm
Maybe, I did the RIO delete so I never use the front switch. However it worked the both ways before I did it.
If it is in warranty I would ask the dealer why if it still does it after you remove the snow blower and switch

·
Registered
336 Posts
Is your PTO selector set to rear PTO only? I don't think it will work if you it set to mid PTO or both PTO. Rear only...
And it works fine for me to engage the PTO while off the tractor, like others have said...

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is your PTO selector set to rear PTO only? I don't think it will work if you it set to mid PTO or both PTO. Rear only...
And it works fine for me to engage the PTO while off the tractor, like others have said...
yes rear only

Reactions: Jarrod32

·
Registered
2032r
186 Posts
Mine is similar but not quite the same. It will not start the pto at all if I'm not in the seat. If I'm seated with the pto running, I press the switch again and get a "hold" message. I have to release the switch, press and hold at that point until I get an "exit" message. Then I can release the switch and get off.

If I just press and hold while getting out of the seat without the multiple press process above, it dies.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So just tested without the blower attached. Same issue, the first method does not funciton I have to be in the seat to start the PTO.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts