Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a 2040 serial 227,975 that I’ve tried three fuel gauges in and a new sending unit and all three gauges read full as soon as the key is turned on and stay there no matter fuel level. I’ve ohmed both the new and original sending units and both read between 0-200 depending on position acting as if they are working properly. Really don’t know what to do

·
Premium Member
8,894 Posts
What P/N are the gauges?
The 0-180 OHM gauge P/N is AL24187 subs to AL24294
There are gauges that are 0-30 OHM (30 OHM = Full) , P/N AT20175, AR65444, AT149002, these would read full all the time with a 0-180 OHM sender.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The first one I am not sure as it was on the tractor when I bought it but the other two were AL24294 or claimed to be. They were both new aftermarket. All three do the same thing with two different sending units, the original factory unit and AT31619.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Test it with both parts assembled together, out of the tractor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tested it outside moving the sending unit and no change still reads full.

·
Premium Member
8,894 Posts
Disconnect the sender, gauge should read full, ground wire it should read empty. Sounds like bad gauge or wrong gauge OHM range.

Reactions: farmer52

·
Premium Member
8,894 Posts
Is it possible gauge is wired backwards?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It operates as you said full no matter if the sender unit is connected or not and empty with ground disconnected. I don’t think it’s wired backwards there’s a G beside top pin, a + beside bottom pin, and three lines beside left pin for the sender wire.

·
Premium Member
8,894 Posts
It operates as you said full no matter if the sender unit is connected or not and empty with ground disconnected. I don’t think it’s wired backwards there’s a G beside top pin, a + beside bottom pin, and three lines beside left pin for the sender wire.
So the gauge has three wires? Ground, 12v + , and sender?
I was expecting two wires; 12v + and sender.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That’s right three wires. I was also expecting two and had to add a ground to the frame in the battery compartment. I thought it would ground through the sending unit and the gauge but then again there are rubber seals on both so I don’t know

·
Premium Member
8,894 Posts
Different than what my 2030 has. 12v to gauge then wire to sender. Sender varies OHMs to ground.
Maybe disconnect the gauge ground?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts