Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum and have a 2040 that’s getting oil in the coolant. Machine runs fine, starts fine, and there’s coolant in the oil. I don’t see any type of oil cooler anywhere on the machine. Anybody have any issues like this on the 3cylinder diesels? Any help is appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
972 Posts
Most likely it is cavitated cylinder liners. I have seen this before. When the liner gets pitted, And is very thin in a spot, the action of the piston ring scraping past the pit will push the oil through the porous metal. After the pitting gets worse, the coolant will start leaking through the liner also. If you send oil sample out for testing, it may show coolant in oil now. Possibility of head gasket also but in my experience, that is rare.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Welcome to GTT
If your 2040(later models) has an engine oil cooler then I'd suggest to renew the seals on oil cooler before engine is disassembled to replace linings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the responses. I’m going to guess it’s a liner as well seeing how when I got it, it had the dirtiest coolant I’ve ever seen in it. And there is no oil cooler on this motor. So I will get to tearing it down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts