Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2950, my uncle owns a 2755. His tractor shows made in Mexico. The hp is the same on his but not the rear lift, tractor weight or the pto hp. Is his tractor in a different category I saw some were made in Mexico. Here’s some pictures I found with stats. I don’t believe his has the front headlight like mine but I’m not to sure.

Also is my tractor a 85hp or a 94hp? I see several different things that say both.

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
Engine Horse power is what the engine has by its self. PTO HP is what the same engine has at the PTO shaft. It'll always drop several horses because it's operating the PTO along with HYD pumps, transmission shafts, cooling fan, even water pump and alternator. Kind of like air-conditioning it's a draw on the engine.

Your tractor is showing 85.3 at PTO (tested) so that tractor was checked. You could have a 94 horse engine.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
HP on a 2755 with a 3.9L 4 cyl engine isn't the same as a 2950 with a 5.9L 6 cyl engine!!!

Please take a look at your uncles 2755 serial number tag. It wouldn't surprise me if serial # tag states built in Mannheim,Germany not Mexico. I remember picking up the NEW 50 series tractors that had been built in Mannheim at the Houston,Tx port of entry

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HP on a 2755 with a 3.9L 4 cyl engine isn't the same as a 2950 with a 5.9L 6 cyl engine!!!

Please take a look at your uncles 2755 serial number tag. It wouldn't surprise me if serial # tag states built in Mannheim,Germany not Mexico. I remember picking up the NEW 50 series tractors that had been built in Mannheim at the Houston,Tx port of entry

I’ll take a look next time I’m around it. His tractor is the reason I wanted a older John Deere. I borrowed it as a kid, driving it vs the Massey furgeson 230 was night and day. Now I’ve got a 5055 2wd that’s tight and turns on a time and that dinosaur 2950 that’s strong as I need... just need AC, I’m about to message you on the other thread.

·
Premium Member
7,935 Posts

I was going to post the same thing; you're comparing a 4cyl to 6 cyl.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I was going to post the same thing; you're comparing a 4cyl to 6 cyl.
That but I was really wondering if mine was a 94 engine hp or 85. Then just seeing why his was a 55 because they don’t pull up much in the series list.. not really comparing comparing because I see I have his beat in pto and drawbar power but just trying to figure out his tractor and where it fit in because it’s around the same year mine was made.. different stats say different things. If his motor is smaller cubic Inches and is 88 engine hp... idk seems like mine would be 94 like some sites say just because of cubic Inch.

I’ve just seen both 85 and 94hp for my tractor on listing and some stats, I’m looking at engine, not pto or drawbar. More cubic inch... idk I think I’m just gonna start saying it’s a 94hp tractor. Might help if I ever sell it one day after restoring.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
2950 & 2955 utilize the same engine so you can state your 2950 has 97 engine HP. One reason 2755 shows as much HP as it does is because it's turbo-charged & 2950 is naturally aspirated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,935 Posts
I am going to say yours (2950) is 94HP. When John Deere changed to the 55 series, the engines had changes. Compression was raised, piston ring placement was higher to reduce compression loss, and peak HP came in 200rpm lower. There may have been many other changes :dunno: JD claimed up to 10% better fuel economy than the previous 50 series model.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I almost purchased this 3155 instead of the 2950 but didn’t because it didn’t have a loader. It has the same 5.9 motor but 95pto hp instead of 85... guessing it’s got a little turbo on it.... after seeing the issues with mine and the broken hr gauge it may have been work getting and buying a loader from salvage. I know my tractor has a pretty expensive cab kit in it tho... not sure why the rmps work but the hr gauge doesn’t move ?

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/004/0/5/4052-john-deere-3155.html

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I am going to say yours (2950) is 94HP. When John Deere changed to the 55 series, the engines had changes. Compression was raised, piston ring placement was higher to reduce compression loss, and peak HP came in 200rpm lower. There may have been many other changes :dunno: JD claimed up to 10% better fuel economy than the previous 50 series model.
If 55 series utility tractor engine was updated as you suggest wouldn't the pto HP reflect increased HP in this update? one cyl head between 2950 & 2955 is the same part number AR76241. Piston/liner kit(RE24458) is the same for 2950/2955.

Granted I understand fuel inj pumps are different & can make a difference in HP BUT this leads back to my 1st question.

·
Premium Member
7,935 Posts
If 55 series utility tractor engine was updated as you suggest wouldn't the pto HP reflect increased HP in this update? one cyl head between 2950 & 2955 is the same part number AR76241. Piston/liner kit(RE24458) is the same for 2950/2955.

Granted I understand fuel inj pumps are different & can make a difference in HP BUT this leads back to my 1st question.
The info I posted came from JD's claims when the 55 series first came out. It may not have applied to every 55 series, as you know when JD changes series all models get changed even if every model did not get every change. Tractor Data stated different compression ratios. I did not try to confirm by checking P/Ns. Tractor Data also stated 94 HP at 2500rpm for the 2950 and 97HP at 2300rpm for the 2955. Could it all be cam, injection pump, and/or injectors? :dunno:

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Dang I over looked where TD stated 94 engine HP for 2950. I know my 4255 has a different air flow cylinder head compared to earlier models.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I went to get my front end seals. JD tells me to run 30w tough guard motor oil.... I’m gonna just get 5 gallons of rottella 15-40 so I can change the oil in my truck to for 69 bucks.... any objections?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts