Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my sever all 212s just started backfiring at high throttle. It will run smooth as silk at low and mid throttle but as soon as I crank it all the way up it starts sputtering and backfiring like crazy. Am I looking at a carb problem or could it be something deeper? Tearing into it today, so I'd appreciate any pointers.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
1st- try adjusting the carb a little. Go rich and see if it gets worse or better, then lean it until it runs smooth at 3/4 to full. If that doesn't work, return it to present setting and....
2nd-look at the points
3-maybe a bad coil.

My 318 would run just fine at idle and up to mid throttle, but would cut out and backfire at full throttle. Turned out the coil was bad.

Reactions: tommyhawk

·
Premium Member
10,344 Posts
I am guessing points, condenser or coil but usually a coil starts stumbling when they are hot.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Sticky and or burnt exhaust valve. Would be my first guess. Pull the valve out and run a 5/16" drill bit in the guide BY HAND.
That brings back some memories along with my 2¢.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.