Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed the snowblower on my 1986 212 this morning and everything went great. Did a test run and everything worked fine including the electric lift and pto. Parked it (with blower lowered) and installed the wheel weights and tire chains. Started it up and the electric lift does nothing, no clicking, no nothing. Its like the lever is a dead switch just moving back and forth without doing anything. It just died......

It is moving the cam and switches under the battery tray/solenoids but nothing is happening. The troubleshooter in the service manual says to check the fuse first but I don't see any fuse by either of the solenoids. I am totally lost when it comes to electrical stuff so any help regarding this fuse issue (identification/location) and knowledge of what usually causes this to happen would be appreciated.

I do have the walk behind snowblower ready to go so no emergency but still need to have this tractor running since it is my only lawn tractor.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can't anyone help me identify this fuse and its location? I am hoping to work on it this weekend and would like to check the fuse before moving on to other components. Thanks

·
Registered
872 Posts
Jeff, I couldn't find a location for a fuse in the lift circuit, but I found a schematic showing a fuse in the ground wire for the lift.
Hope this helps! Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I saw that, thanks!

But I don't see a fuse on my tractor so figured I was reading it wrong. Like I said, electricity is not my strong suit. I'll jump into it this weekend and see what I can come up with.

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
Have you pulled the battery tray for a better view?

·
Registered
872 Posts
Hmm, did they have fusible links in '86? If so, "fuse" could look like a bubble in the wire! Bob

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
The fuse is In the electric lift wiring Harness Not the tractor's Main wiring Harness Item 11 or 12 depending On which Electric lift kit You Have John Deere FUSE M46427 :bigthumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, now we're making headway. I have the lift in the top diagram and don't have the view of the fuse so I did a search using the part number and think I have it figured out. I looks like that little piece of metal (that looks like a mini open end wrench) is attached to the solenoid at the bottom mounting bolt on one end and the other end attaches to the area of the solenoid terminal with the black wire on it. Whether it is attached on the solenoid or the ground to machine I will check next. Thanks!

Will keep you posted as to my progress when I get to work on it.

·
Registered
872 Posts
You got it! You may find both ends attached, but the middle missing! This probably means one or both solenoids are shorted out...internally. It can also mean the ground wire from one side of that link came off. Bob

Reactions: jeepjeff

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did quick check when I got home last night and the fuse is complete and in good condition. And it is attached to the black lead on the solenoid. Time to use the right side of the Diagnosing and Testing Chart. Oh the joy!

·
Registered
872 Posts
Jeff, You said electrical is not your strong point. Do you have a VOM (Volt/Ohm/Meter)? If not, get a Harbor Freight, or such, el cheapo meter...should run around $20-$30.

I'd disconnect the plug from the motor. Set scale to DC volts (15 scale?) and put one lead in each opening of the connector coming from the solenoid(s). Activating your raise lower switch and you should see 12 volts+/- on the meter...+12 one direction, -12 the other direction. If you have this voltage, motor is either jammed mechanically or shot! If no voltage, keep checking back until you find it and let us know where you have it and where you don't. We'll get ya up & runnin' Bob.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now remember everything was working fine after initial install of blower.

Okay, good news and bad news. Good News is I found a loose wire and got the lift working. Bad news is it won't raise the snowblower off the floor. Almost like it didn't have enough juice. I adjusted the deck stop (knob by shifter quadrant) all the way up to all the way down with no luck. Even tried the deck adjuster in multiple spots (the wheel on the side of the hood) without luck. Then the lift completely stopped working again. I quit for the day it is football time.

And by the way, +/- 12volts to solenoids.

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
Now remember everything was working fine after initial install of blower.

Okay, good news and bad news. Good News is I found a loose wire and got the lift working. Bad news is it won't raise the snowblower off the floor. Almost like it didn't have enough juice. I adjusted the deck stop (knob by shifter quadrant) all the way up to all the way down with no luck. Even tried the deck adjuster in multiple spots (the wheel on the side of the hood) without luck. Then the lift completely stopped working again. I quit for the day it is football time.

And by the way, +/- 12volts to solenoids.
There should be a helper spring. The adjustment is accessible from the rear by the top of the left tire.

It doesn’t lift high when properly working.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Jeff, I am now TOTALLY confused!! Having never work on a 212 or electric lift, I can only go by diagrams in the JD parts catalog(s).

In you first post, you said the cams are moving. Looking at the parts catalog, it looks like the cams are attached through linkage to one end of your lift motor. If the cams are moving, the motor is working...unless I'm really cross-eyed! Verify cams are moving, then look for movement on other end of lift motor. Although I doubt it, it could be as simple as a pin fell out. Keep us informed, Bob

Oops, sorry. I was in catalog and typing when/while you posted! Bob

Reactions: rydplrs
1 - 15 of 15 Posts