Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other night, the transaxle on my 212 took a crap on me. It sounded like it just kind of exploded on itself. It started running really shaky and before I could get it back up to the barn something popped and it wouldn't move...sounded like a shaking can full of bolts. JD quoted me $900 for a rebuild, so I looked around and found a guy that's got a 212 and a 214 that he is selling together for an attractive price and they come with a front snowblower attachment. They both run but he said the 214 has a rod knocking. I'm going to pick them up in the morning and basically part them out so I have a stash of replacement parts for my 212. I hope to swap the transaxle out in a matter of a couple hours, but I was wondering if there is anything I should look out for. I've yet to have this specific model torn apart but it looks pretty simple and straight forward at a glance.

Also, I'm reading where a lot of guys are putting 80w140 in them, saying it quiets them down and helps them run smoother. Would you all agree with that or should I use JD's recommended stuff?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
There are 2 generations of 200 series. Transaxles and bodies are interchangeable. A lot of stuff for the pto and engine is not.

Yes to w140 oil.

·
Registered
424 Posts
So the other night, the transaxle on my 212 took a crap on me . . . . I'm reading where a lot of guys are putting 80w140 in them, saying it quiets them down and helps them run smoother. Would you all agree with that or should I use JD's recommended stuff?
Are you referring to the recommended from the original manuals? Lubricants and their specifications have changed a lot since the days of the 200 series garden tractors. I would not hesitate to put the 80w140 in mine. In fact I may as it's due for a transaxle lube change.

Reactions: jeverts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses.

There are 2 generations of 200 series. Transaxles and bodies are interchangeable. A lot of stuff for the pto and engine is not.
I would have the earlier generation I assumed because mine was manufactured in '77. If his are the later generation (which I assume they probably will be because they have the more modern looking plastic steering wheel), would the engine from his 212 not be interchangeable with mine? I'm getting a 212 and a 214 in fair condition with a snowblower attachment for $300 or $250 (pending negotiation)...it seems to me like that is still a decent deal for what I need to do, right? I think I'm getting a good deal but I dont want to go through the hassle of hauling and storing two of these tractors for their parts if I cannot use any of them.

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
Thanks for the responses.

I would have the earlier generation I assumed because mine was manufactured in '77. If his are the later generation (which I assume they probably will be because they have the more modern looking plastic steering wheel), would the engine from his 212 not be interchangeable with mine? I'm getting a 212 and a 214 in fair condition with a snowblower attachment for $300 or $250 (pending negotiation)...it seems to me like that is still a decent deal for what I need to do, right? I think I'm getting a good deal but I dont want to go through the hassle of hauling and storing two of these tractors for their parts if I cannot use any of them.
That’s correct, engines with a 2 piece cradle don’t fit the one piece, and if it’s manual pto and you modify it to fit, you won’t be able to make the pto work.

Check JDparts for serial number breaks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts