Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advise on FEL shopping and installation. Can anyone steer me in the right direction? I am interested in attaching a FEL to my 2150. What JD models (past or current) would fit? What about other manufacturers? I’d prefer little to no modification, if possible. Is there anything I should look for or avoid? Are there any specific issues that should be an absolute deal breaker if I were to find a reasonably priced unit? How difficult are they to attach?
Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
JD FEL models that will fit with correct mounting brackets that come to my mind are 37, 48,145,175, 240. Difficulty to attach FEL to tractor will be determined by one's mechanical skills. In my life I've mounted many FEL's so to me it's relatively easy if brackets were designed for the tractor. Photo below shows correct way to attach ind valve to a JD utility tractor such as your 2150

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JD FEL models that will fit with correct mounting brackets that come to my mind are 37, 48,145,175, 240. Difficulty to attach FEL to tractor will be determined by one's mechanical skills. In my life I've mounted many FEL's so to me it's relatively easy if brackets were designed for the tractor. Photo below shows correct way to attach ind valve to a JD utility tractor such as your 2150
Thanks Tx Jim. I’ll be on the hunt for something on your list.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tx Jim, you supplied a pretty good list of FEL’s that would be compatible. I spoke with my local Deere dealer to find out about spare parts availability if I was to purchase any of the listed loaders and he was adamant that only a 175 would work, and no, no spare parts.
My question is, if the other units you listed do work, is it a matter of getting a machine shop to fab up attachment brackets, etc or was this guy just in error?
And if I would need to get a fab shop involved, is there a certain model that would be the easiest (cheapest) to get operational?
Any and all input from y’all is much appreciated since I can’t fathom that only one loader will ever fit this tractor and since no spare parts are available for it, I might as well toss out the tractor.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I was employed by a JD dealer from '65-'87 serving the last 13 yrs as the dealer service manager. I assisted/supervised/installed loaders on JD tractors for 20 yrs. Most all models of JD utility tractors with 3cyl/4cyl engines built from '65-'92 will accept the same FEL's.

Tell your local JD dealer that you know someone that will """"bet him whatever he chooses to LOSE that more JD FEL models than model 175(Manufactured 1981-1992) will fit as designed by JD engineers on a JD model 2150(manufactured 1983-1986)"". No mounting fabrication required other than maybe shortening mounting bracket due to you having a tractor with a 3 cyl engine.

I agree with your local JD dealer JD FEL spare parts & mounting brackets are scarce.
The ad below states 2150 with 520 loader which I didn't include that model in my list

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the clarification. That helps a bunch. It seems like no matter what it is I am trying to do these days, the standard answer is to just throw it away and buy in something new. Whatever happened to the concept of “ use it up or wear it out, make it do or do without”? The folks on GTT have been great help in keeping me out of trouble. Thanks again all.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
You're welcome
My '91 JD 4255 with 11,600+ hrs on speed hour meter & '11 Kubota M7040 will be at my place until after I'm gone. I refuse to own one of the newer electronic nightmare tractors.

·
Premium Member
9,213 Posts
Two considerations; Is your tractor 2wd or MFWD? Do you plan to leave the loader on all the time or take it off a lot?
If MFWD, 520 will not work, boom arms were designed for 2wd and will interfer with the front tires (unless you have small turfs). 540 will work with MFWD and 2wd, different design. Boom designed to clear R1 front tires of MFWD.
If plan to leave the loader on, a mute point, but if you will be taking on/off a lot, look at how that is done. I don't care for how JD does this with the 175 (just my opinion). I would probably look for a 520 or 540 loader.

Another consideration is how the bucket attaches. Quik Tach is nice if you will be changing the bucket. I had to build mounts on my grapple to make it work on JD 245 loader on my JD 2030. Another reason to consider a newer model loader like the 520 or 540. Finding the correct mounts will be hardest part, any loader you get.

Parts would not be major worry for me. Hydraulic shops can replace seals, and hoses. Machine shops can make pins.

Reactions: Tx Jim

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Zebrafive makes valid points. MFWD tractors were rarely sold at dealership where I was employed so I don't include MFWD in my thought process.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Zebrafive for filling in some more of the gaps for me. This is 2 wheel drive and I would probably leave the FEL on. Ive got a kubota Bx23s with the quick attach and it is extremely convenient, so I would love to have something similar on the JD, but finances being what they are, I’ll take what I can get. I do appreciate you sharing your preferences, cause to a newbie like me, buying something sight unseen from half a country away could very well end in disaster. At least y’all are helping me narrow my search. And truthfully, I am not in a hurry, so I have time to shop and wait for the right piece. Appreciate all the knowledge you guys are willing to share. Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,213 Posts
It took me 2-3 years to find a JD 245 loader for my 2030...........close enough to look at and get in a single afternoon.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yup. I’m in no hurry. Just want to make wise decisions. Gathering as much wisdom as I can as I go.
By the way, why is it so difficult to find any JD info for anything on line? Seems like the internet would be full of all the old promotional stuff. Ive googled FEL’s, etc and it’s like the info is kept in Ft Knox. Does JD have a death grip on everything, or am I just really incompetent in my google searching?
Not to keep sounding like I’trying to flatter the GTT crowd, but you guys are about the only source of JD info I can find. Keep it up & thank you all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts