Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just purchased a 1987 2155 that I knew it was not working prior to the sale. I started playing around with it and what it’s doing is when I turn the key to the left the lights go on on the instrument cluster but I get nothing when I turn the key to the right. I thought maybe the starter might be bad but I was able to crank the engine by jumping the connectors on the starter relay on the firewall. I’m wondering if there are any safety switches on the tractor that might disengage the starter switch?

I have an owners manual coming but I’m super excited to get it running.

Any help would be nice. Rick

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Welcome to GTT
There's a neutral start switch located under cowling(key 6) that one straddles when seated on tractor that screws into very front of rockshaft housing. Sometimes switch can be removed then a sealing washer or 2 can be removed then switch re-installed & operate correctly

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. For testing purposes only can I short the wires coming from the harness to see if that’s my problem?

·
Premium Member
7,943 Posts
Thanks. For testing purposes only can I short the wires coming from the harness to see if that’s my problem?
You could jumper the two wires that connect to the neutral start switch, but be aware the tractor will be able to start in gear.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK so that's not my problem. The neutral safety switch is working just fine. But there is another switch located on the left side of the tractor just below the foot rest on what I think is the transmission that is connected in series to one of the wires that is part of the newtral safety switch that I cannot figure out if it's working or what it's for.

It looks like one of the wires coming up from the neutral safety switch connects to two small black relays.

My big question is the connections on the back of the starter switch. I cannot seem to get any power other than when I turn the key to the left and the indicator lights go on the instrument cluster.

Rick

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My tractor was built in 1987 so it has a very low SN. I'm not sure where this diagram is located on the tractor? Also I'm trying to figure out the purpose for the other switch on the left side of the transmisson case just below the footrest. This switch is also connected to the neutral safety switch.

Thanks, Rick

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Depending on your tractors serial number there are several ground connections encircled in blue that could be open causing electrical problems
The other switch might be the one connected to wire #7? What is this for and does it connect to the same safety switch

·
Premium Member
7,943 Posts
My tractor was built in 1987 so it has a very low SN. I'm not sure where this diagram is located on the tractor? Also I'm trying to figure out the purpose for the other switch on the left side of the transmisson case just below the footrest. This switch is also connected to the neutral safety switch.

Thanks, Rick
Maybe parking brake switch? :dunno: Key 19 in the drawing.

Attachments

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Premium Member
7,943 Posts
OK so that's not my problem. The neutral safety switch is working just fine. But there is another switch located on the left side of the tractor just below the foot rest on what I think is the transmission that is connected in series to one of the wires that is part of the newtral safety switch that I cannot figure out if it's working or what it's for.

It looks like one of the wires coming up from the neutral safety switch connects to two small black relays.

My big question is the connections on the back of the starter switch. I cannot seem to get any power other than when I turn the key to the left and the indicator lights go on the instrument cluster.

Rick
How do you know the neutral switch is fine?
Did you determine the switch, left side, below footrest, IS in series with the neutral start switch?
Relays or solenoid? IIRC these have start solenoid (not the one on the starter).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How do you know the neutral switch is fine?
Did you determine the switch, left side, below footrest, IS in series with the neutral start switch?
Relays or solenoid? IIRC these have start solenoid (not the one on the starter).
I put an ohm meter on the two wires that come out of the neutral safety switch and normally it's open and when I put the trans in gear it closes.

As for the other switch, one wire that comes out of the neutral switch goes down under the footrest to the other switch and then up to the multie pin connector.

I know the starter solenoid on the upper firewall works becuase i put it on my bench and connected the ohm meter to the BIG connectors and energized it with a 12 battery and i could hear the CLICK and the connection closed between the BIG connectors.

I'm very confused to the how the wiring is coning into the back of the starter key.

·
Premium Member
7,943 Posts
Nopeit'snottheswitchontheparkingbrake.I'mguessingthatonejustgoestoanindicatorlightintheinstrumentcluster?
I was going by where you said it was located. A picture would help. Also what transmission it has and if MFWD.

·
Premium Member
7,943 Posts
I put an ohm meter on the two wires that come out of the neutral safety switch and normally it's open and when I put the trans in gear it closes.

As for the other switch, one wire that comes out of the neutral switch goes down under the footrest to the other switch and then up to the multie pin connector.

I know the starter solenoid on the upper firewall works becuase i put it on my bench and connected the ohm meter to the BIG connectors and energized it with a 12 battery and i could hear the CLICK and the connection closed between the BIG connectors.

I'm very confused to the how the wiring is coning into the back of the starter key.
Exact opposite of how I would think a neutral switch should work. I am thinking closed in neutral (to let it start) open in gear, (to prevent it starting).

·
Premium Member
7,943 Posts
Do you have JD dealer close? They MIGHT be willing to print out the starting wiring diagram for you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts