Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

First, my tractor has the reverser transmission so I shift the tractor into forward/reverse by a lever just to the left of the steering wheel. What is working fine is the range I position for gears 1-4. I cannot seem to locate the gate or get to work range II for gears 5-8.

I'm still trying to figure out my new (used) tractor so hopefully, this is just user error.

I also did double-check the clutch travel and it looks like it's adjusted as far as possible.

Rick

·
Premium Member
7,898 Posts
It; the Reverser, is not supposed to work in Range II. The reason being the tractor will be going too fast in reverse.

The thinking must have changed (or the engineering), newer tractors with reversers, will reverse in any gear.

I have, knock on wood, NOT reversed my 6415 in top gear :laugh: I can't imagine the ride, going from 18mph forward to reverse :mocking:

Unless I read your post wrong and you have no gears at all in range II or can't shift into range II? :flag_of_truce:

Reactions: Herminator

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Correct. I cannot shift into range II and get gears 4-8. I can only find the range I and gears 1-4

Please note that I'm not trying to get range II to work in reverse.

Are you saying that because I have the reverser trans I cannot use the range II position at all?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Are you saying that you do not no where high range is, or it will not go into high range. So take range selector to neutral push over to leftside, then push down/ or back towards the seat. Thats where range II is at.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you saying that you do not no where high range is, or it will not go into high range. So take range selector to neutral push over to leftside, then push down/ or back towards the seat. Thats where range II is at.
That is exactly where the diagram shows the location. Range I is upper right and range II is down to the lower left. The problem is there is no gate there. The lever goes into neutral fine but when I pull it to the left there is nothing there to go to.

No range II.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
picture may help..... this "something" is either a easy fix or you have something very unusual with your tractor.

·
Administrator
20,969 Posts
picture may help..... this "something" is either a easy fix or you have something very unusual with your tractor.
I agree. Some pics will help us help you. :good2:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree. Some pics will help us help you. :good2:
I'm sorry but a picture of what? I cannot see into the transmission? I'm sure if you own a John Dreere tractor and it has a range lever to select between I or II you will understand?

My tractor does not seem to have the gate for range II. So I only can shift into range I and use gears 1-4.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Did some research...Can't find a free manual I'm willing to download as I'm sure it won't be a useable link.

What I did discover...May or May not apply to yours.

The shift in To HI range is Hydraulic on a 2955...Yours may share this same technology.
Many issues with this set up.

Without seeing anything.... Sometimes a pic helps. Shifter area side of trans case..anything to get the Members brain cells stirring may help your problem.

:munch:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found this online. On the left side is what my manual calls the ranges and what I cannot get to work is range II

Screen Shot 2019-07-28 at 7.41.31 PM.png

·
Administrator
20,969 Posts
Just some general pics of your shift levers and trans area can of huge help to us.

And yes, I own several JD tractors and have repaired many machines. Trust me, we are trying to help, not slow you down. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
OK. I remember you rebuilt the 2150. When you are sitting on the seat there are two shift levers in front of you. On the left is the range lever and on the right is the gear lever.

On my tractor, I cannot find the gate for the position II for the range.

I do not have the tractor by me to take a picture. I know you should understand because I've seen your youtube videos and the post of you restoring the 2150.

This is from your post. See the shift lever on the left? It does not go into the gate for range II

Screen Shot 2019-07-28 at 8.06.51 PM.png

·
Premium Member
13,801 Posts
Have you contacted the previous owner, maybe he knows something about it. Our 2555 is not a reverser, it is left/up for low, left/down for high and right/up for reverse, when you drive the tractor enough it's second nature but when you haven't been on it for awhile it's a very very tight pattern that can make you stumble.

·
Administrator
20,969 Posts
The 2150 doesn’t have a reverser. At least the one I had here doesn’t. We need to examine your tractor to see what’s up. :good2:

There were several different flavors of these tractors and transmissions. You’d be surprised at what we can find and fix over the internet.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Heres a 7 page thread about Hydro issues.

Your problem is NOT described here.

What may be of use is the HYDRO Flow charts you will see..... 1 is posted below. there are a few more.

Another JD 2155 Hydro Thread - Page 3

While not perfect..it may lead down the right path as it appears the Hi/LO function may be Hydro operated.

Is the fluid level up? are there any other hydro issues with your tractor?

It will take a bit of reading but there are many articles out there on your tractor with hydro problems.

I'm hoping yours is Not one of them as it looks to be a troublesum dealio to get to the bottom of

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
The 2150 doesn’t have a reverser. At least the one I had here doesn’t. We need to examine your tractor to see what’s up. :good2:

There were several different flavors of these tractors and transmissions. You’d be surprised at what we can find and fix over the internet.
This tractor came from a large mall and was used to plow snow and do landscaping work. It's been sitting at a local John Deere dealership for 3 years and I purchased it not running two weeks back. I did get it running so that's great. But the shift issue is a mystery to me. Regarding the JD dealership, they are not an Ag dealer and they are claiming they have no mechanic that knows that large of a tractor.

I did find an image from when I purchased it and it shows the shift lever on the left side of the image below the shifting reverser lever to the left of the steering wheel.

I'm starting to wonder if this is a linkage issue or a fork out of alignment? The fact that the gate is missing seems to me to be a mechanical issue not hydraulic.

IMG_0678.jpg

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Is it possible it was some special order deal?
Was this a state owned unit and they dummed it up so no one could reverse in high speed.

Is the missing "gate" part look factory or perhaps shop built?

just spitballing.....Give it all a good look.

IDK if google images can provide a reference ..but maybe.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I might have a really good lead to my issue. See the image below, #23 is ARM,HIGH SPEED LOCKOUT and it looks like it is loaded with a spring and is actuated by a cam on the reverser lever.

I'll look at that tomorrow evening, it might be a tired spring.

Screen Shot 2019-07-28 at 9.15.33 PM.jpg

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Do you have the factory Operators manual?

Maybe theres a clue in there.

I didn't have a bunch of luck looking for a manual but there were a couple maybe sites.

Golftech or something similar has some good free ones..I'll do some more digging.

Looked like 1 manual covered many machines from 2050 and up iirc.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do you have the factory Operators manual?

Maybe theres a clue in there.

I didn't have a bunch of luck looking for a manual but there were a couple maybe sites.

Golftech or something similar has some good free ones..I'll do some more digging.

Looked like 1 manual covered many machines from 2050 and up iirc.
I have a copy of the operators manual but it lacks the details to that function.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts