Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After sitting for the winter, my 2155 is having an issue. Sometimes it starts fine....strong battery and starter. Then the next minute, it acts like a safety switch is open. It will start fine by shorting the solenoid with a screwdriver, so there are no starter or solenoid issues.
I'm working my way through the safety switches. The neutral switch on top of the transmission is working properly. The diode connecting that switch tests OK. There is another switch in series with the neutral switch on the left side of the transmission. Can anyone tell me what that switch is for ?

A component I cannot find is the starter circuit relay. There must be one somewhere. I don't see it in the dash cluster or mounted anywhere in that vicinity. I also don't see any wires large enough to be carrying that current, so I think the relay may be located out of sight.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts
Welcome to GTT
I'm aware of only 1 neutral start switch on 2155. Sometimes one can remove the switch & then remove 1 or more sealing washers then reinstall switch & ball will make contacts function as designed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jim. The switch on top of the transmission is working OK. It's in series with another switch on the side of the transmission, whose purpose is unknown to me. Right now I am looking for the starting circuit relay. It's not under the dash where I thought I'd find it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PS I figured out the switch on the side of the transmission....It's the live PTO safety switch, and it's working OK.
I still can't find a starter relay anywhere.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
WP, If you can, follow the wire on the solenoid back. It should terminate on your starter relay...IF you have one! Bob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JD 2155 parts catalog lists solenoid below that I think will be located under the rear of hood
Thanks Jim. I was wondering if it might be under the hood.
Here's another wrinkle. My neutral switch uses a diode in it's connector plug. Oddly enough, the wires attached to the diode connector can be attached either way....they aren't polarized. One side of the neutral switch goes to a harness plug, the other goes on to the pto switch. If anyone has access to a wiring diagram, I need to know which leg should contain the diode, the leg going to the harness plug or the leg going to the pto switch. The diode will only work in one direction.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So here's how it all ended up. I finally found and tested the starter relay located under the hood. It checked out fine. While fiddling around with the key turned on, I noticed clicking when I handed one of the multi-pin harness connectors. I never would have found the problem otherwise, unless I tested continuity on every single wire while jiggling them. I cleaned the connectors, male and female as best I could. The engine started, but I still had the neutral switch jumped because I didn't trust it. Because of the diode in line, and the fact that the connectors could be attached with the diode one way, or the other, I was momentarily stumped. So I tried hooking them one way. Nothing. Tried it the other way and it worked. That's the happy ending.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.