Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just snapped a bolt on the loader. I think it affects the loader stand only. Any ideas on how to fix this? Have a call into the dealer, hopefully covered under warranty.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,913 Posts
Drill into the bolt and use an extractor. If the machine is under warranty the dealer should be able to take care of it.

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts
Now that the head of the bolt is off it should be easy to remove the rest like said above. Before you try let it soak for a will using a penetrating oil. If I was removing the left over bolt I would take a small sharp punch ago about 2/3rds off center and use the punch to hit it the direction it turns. If it is loose just do that till you can get ahold of it. I made a chisel with a 45% angled tip so it is easy to do this on busted bolts. If it is not rusted in place it should twist out easy this way or using a extractor. I just never have one when I need it! On easy one I drill a hole and drive a chisel into the hole and use a wrench to turn it.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
looks like with the spacers removed there should be plenty to grab with visegrips.....depends on the sequince of pics.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This has happened to me twice, all I used to was a pick tool to screw it out.
I don't understand why they break but it is easy to replace and less than $1.50. I bought a few extras.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
If it's tight I weld a nut on the stub and turn it out. The heat from welding helps loosen it.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
So I don't understand what I'm looking at. It looks like a bolt to hold the larger loader pin in place. I thought the pin should extend to the outer edge of the parts on both sides and only a washer and smaller bolt to keep the pin centered in the joint.

So why is there a "spacer" under that washer that looks like it is the same thickness of the "moving" arm section of the loader? If that "spacer" is the same thickness of the loader arm, isn't the entire weight of the arm on that bolt alone?

I can't see the surfaces of the remaining pin and the under surface of the spacer in that pic. Did the end of the loader pin break off and put the entire load on the keeper bolt? I also cannot figure out why that bolt snapped like it did.

Just looking for more clarification. (I didn't get a chance to look up the exploded view on JD parts).

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I don't understand what I'm looking at. It looks like a bolt to hold the larger loader pin in place. I thought the pin should extend to the outer edge of the parts on both sides and only a washer and smaller bolt to keep the pin centered in the joint.

So why is there a "spacer" under that washer that looks like it is the same thickness of the "moving" arm section of the loader? If that "spacer" is the same thickness of the loader arm, isn't the entire weight of the arm on that bolt alone?

I can't see the surfaces of the remaining pin and the under surface of the spacer in that pic. Did the end of the loader pin break off and put the entire load on the keeper bolt? I also cannot figure out why that bolt snapped like it did.

Just looking for more clarification. (I didn't get a chance to look up the exploded view on JD parts).
It's actually a bolt that keeps the loader stand connected to the loader frame. I can continue to use the loader but cannot remove the loader due to this issue. Dealer is supposed to come out and fix it.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
It's actually a bolt that keeps the loader stand connected to the loader frame. I can continue to use the loader but cannot remove the loader due to this issue. Dealer is supposed to come out and fix it.
OK Thanks, so it not on of the heavily loaded/main joints of your loader. That explains a lot.

·
Registered
401 Posts
As a rule if a bolt was sheared of an easy out will work. On the other hand if it’s so tight or rusted that you broke it off trying to remove it an easy out might not work and break off making it a nightmare to drill out.

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Any idea why it broke? Seems like an odd bolt to break while the loader is on the tractor.
These bolts typically break when the operator does something wrong while attaching or removing the loader. For example if you are removing the loader and your tractor is parked with the emergency brake on and unable to roll back when the loader stand comes in contact with the ground and the bucket or loader frame fails to move (slide) forward, this will cause an increased load on that pivot joint and potentially shear that bolt off. I have done this myself - once! I learned from it and it hasn't happened again. If this happens to you, be careful the loader stand does not bend on the opposite side and collapse. That can happen, and that loader frame is too heavy to pick up by hand. This 5/16" diameter bolt is fine if everything is perfect, but if overloaded it will shear off. A larger bolt diameter would prevent such occurrences.

As for removing the sheared bolt, it should back right out using a sharp pointed pick. If not, a screw extractor will get it out.

Sincerely

·
Registered
14 Posts
The pin can be removed from the outside. There is a snap ring on the side opposite the broken bolt. Remove the snap ring and tap the pin on the broken bolt side and it will slide out toward the outside. You can then take the pin out and work on it on the bench. I had this happen and I found that the broken bolt was easy to tap out using a small hammer and a prick punch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I've had success with just left handed drill bits (in preparation for using an easy out), but I haven't found a set of reasonably priced good quality ones yet.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
These bolts typically break when the operator does something wrong while attaching or removing the loader. For example if you are removing the loader and your tractor is parked with the emergency brake on and unable to roll back when the loader stand comes in contact with the ground and the bucket or loader frame fails to move (slide) forward, this will cause an increased load on that pivot joint and potentially shear that bolt off. I have done this myself - once! I learned from it and it hasn't happened again. If this happens to you, be careful the loader stand does not bend on the opposite side and collapse. That can happen, and that loader frame is too heavy to pick up by hand. This 5/16" diameter bolt is fine if everything is perfect, but if overloaded it will shear off. A larger bolt diameter would prevent such occurrences.

As for removing the sheared bolt, it should back right out using a sharp pointed pick. If not, a screw extractor will get it out.

Sincerely
:bigthumb:Ah, could be what happened, thanks will be more attentive from now on when removing/attaching the loader. I usually set the brake on before getting off the tractor.

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
I came in here expecting to see one of those main big arse loader arm bolts broken off. Mainly because there would have to be an epic story leading up to such a failure. This was disappointing, but for the best.

·
Registered
1 Posts
220 FEL storage stand bolt sheared off

Interesting forum on this issue. I have a 2032r tractor with a 220 loader and the same thing happened to me, but on the right-hand side so was hidden by the hydraulic hoses. Didn't realize it and the stand collapsed and bent the connector plate on the left side. Since its a 3/8" thick plate, I took it to a local welder who will bend it back and I will purchase the bolt and spacer as the spacer either was lost or never installed. One of you recommended up-grading the bolt or bolts from M10's to what... an M12 grade bolt? As I looked at the parts list drawing, I noted the round cusps that fit into a cup-shaped recess/hole, the cusps are not bent properly to mate fully in the cup recess as the drawing indicates. The 3/8" plate needs to be bent slightly outward beginning about an inch above the hole for the bolt so the cusps can mate fully in the cup-shaped recesses. I'm guessing this is the problem with the small bolt shearing problem. My JD dealer had no idea what was going on. Told me he works on too many models of loaders to know each one in detail. Plus his operation is about 150-miles away, so not easy to schedule a field trip and know what parts to bring. I am inclined to view this as a John Deere design issue, not an 'abuse' issue. I've had my FEL off maybe all of 3 times since I bought the tractor in April of this year.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Let us know what he says is the reason it broke. Not what i would expect from JD

1 - 20 of 23 Posts