Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my loader on and off quite a few times, and recently I've had an issue where the left side loader tower won't sit down on the mounts and binds up. The only fix seems to be if I wiggle the tractor back and forth until it slides down on the mounts. I believe it only happens when the ground I am parking the loader on isn't perfectly flat; it is very flat, but not flat like a cement pad. I prefer to park it on grass to be easier on the paint on the loader stand, but should I be using a totally flat surface to park the loader? Or should the loader mount normally on fairly flat ground?

As a side note, the bosses at the top of the loader stand seem to be cam-ing inwards, away from the loader. That doesn't seem correct to me either, and it does not change when the stand is up or down.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,002 Posts
I have had my loader on and off quite a few times, and recently I've had an issue where the left side loader tower won't sit down on the mounts and binds up. The only fix seems to be if I wiggle the tractor back and forth until it slides down on the mounts. I believe it only happens when the ground I am parking the loader on isn't perfectly flat; it is very flat, but not flat like a cement pad. I prefer to park it on grass to be easier on the paint on the loader stand, but should I be using a totally flat surface to park the loader? Or should the loader mount normally on fairly flat ground?

As a side note, the bosses at the top of the loader stand seem to be cam-ing inwards, away from the loader. That doesn't seem correct to me either, and it does not change when the stand is up or down.
Any time the loader and tractor are not on flat even ground, mounting and dismounting are going to be problematic. I would say side-to-side level is more critical but to be honest unlevel ground in any direction will only lead to trouble as you have discovered.

I wouldn't give the paint on the loader stand a second thought. It can easily be touched up if you feel the need. You could always wrap it with something.

As for the bosses cam-ing in. I think I see what you mean on the photo. Are you sure all the bolts are tight? Several folks have reported the bolts breaking that attach the parking stand to the loader. Which, I think are the same bolts running through the bosses. This cam-ing action may be what is causing the bolts to break.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bolts are tight, and they don't go through the bosses, they secure about 3" forward of the bosses. Based on the illustrations of the loader stand, I would say only about 50% of the boss is left in to support the loader.

·
Premium Member
11,002 Posts
The bolts are tight, and they don't go through the bosses, they secure about 3" forward of the bosses. Based on the illustrations of the loader stand, I would say only about 50% of the boss is left in to support the loader.
Hopefully some other folks with 220R loaders can post what their parking stand attachment points look like.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I broke the bolts that hold my parking stand to the loader last week. The bolts look like they run thru the hydraulic cylinders. Don’t know if I am capable of fixing this.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
My parking stand looks like that as well. Works fine. I'm like the OP though, should be a better fit.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I broke the bolts that hold my parking stand to the loader last week. The bolts look like they run thru the hydraulic cylinders. Don’t know if I am capable of fixing this.
If it's on the tractor still, I would think you relieve the pressure in the lines, block the loader stand so it's in a fixed position, and just replace the bolt. If it's off the tractor, you will need to support the loader.

·
Premium Member
11,002 Posts
According to JD Parts the bolt that secures the parking stand just threads into the support tower. The only thing running through the hydraulic cylinders are the greasable bushing pins.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,983 Posts
When the bolt is broken, how do you get it out? I have the dealer coming in to fix mine next week.
Same way you get any broken bolt out.

The typical method is to drill it and use an extractor.

Take the weight / pressure off of it if you can.

Drill it with a left hand drill bit. Sometimes the bit will catch and the bolt will back right out.

If it doesn't come out with the drill bit, CAREFULLY attempt to remove it with an extractor. You don't want to break the extractor.

There are other methods that get a little more complicated. My guess is if you sheared the bolt, it shouldn't be that hard to remove compared to a bolt that is stuck from age & corrosion.

·
Premium Member
11,002 Posts
When the bolt is broken, how do you get it out? I have the dealer coming in to fix mine next week.
Can you take a photo a bit farther away so we can see exactly which bolt broke and what the surroundings are?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I used a chisel, and was able to turn the bolt with the chisel to loosen it...and thread it out of the hole. Once I got it one turn, I was able to get to it with pliers.

(I broke this bolt via user error. )

·
Registered
142 Posts
Can you take a photo a bit farther away so we can see exactly which bolt broke and what the surroundings are?

Thanks!
No room to get further away to take a picture. It's between the loader arms and tractor.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I will try to get some pics of mine.

·
Registered
24 Posts

Would have to agree 100% with the original post. Was actually thinking of posting the same scenario after trying to connect my 220r loader on slightly uneven ground---and I do mean slightly. Have taken my loader on and off many times with no problem but this was a first. Normally park the loader on the lawn but wife wants it hidden from view so I put it behind the shed where it is still is flat and gets mowed but not quite as flat as regular lawn. Had the same problem as original poster with loader not dropping into mounts and subsequently noticed camming issue. Hey, this is a tractor---shouldn't need to pour a slab just so loader can be parked perfectly level

Not happy about the camming out either. Originally grew up on a farm over 50 years ago and been happily using Deere equipment for years but some of their engineering designs.... you have to wonder.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine is like that as well. Not a fan. It seems like it would be causing extra stress on the bolts. I'll be checking with the dealer to see what they think before too long. If hate to have them snap off entirely and drop the loader or something like that.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts