Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever cut a access port thru the floorboard for the purpose of greasing the elusive front drive line zerk?

·
Registered
365 Posts
fdmars,

There was just such a thread about a month ago, where someone did cut an access hole. I can't remember who posted it, but it came out then.

Dave

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I saw that thread, but not sure it was a 2305

·
Premium Member
8,818 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
All the pictures on the thread were removed.

Here is a link to another forum which has the pictures.

JD2210 upper driveshaft service/grease
The best way to service a 2210 is to trade it in! I went through the destroyed driveshaft. There is a panel on the side of the steering column that may allow you to get at it. Honestly you might have better luck with the seat pan off. It's a bit of a bear because you have to remove the ROPS and other stuff but worth it in the end. It's just a real PIA to get at so you need to decide how much it is worth to you to do an depth procedure for a routine service.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did spring service on tractor yesterday, had the tractor up on 4 stands, went underneath and used the grease gun attachment with the cupped end. With one hand pushed tip hard against zerk, with other hit the trigger in Milwaukee m12 grease gun.
Of course some grease went all over, but I swear I saw some come out of the knuckle. Happy with that, but ya just never get the “i got it” confidence with that zerk

·
Premium Member
8,818 Posts
I did spring service on tractor yesterday, had the tractor up on 4 stands, went underneath and used the grease gun attachment with the cupped end. With one hand pushed tip hard against zerk, with other hit the trigger in Milwaukee m12 grease gun.
Of course some grease went all over, but I swear I saw some come out of the knuckle. Happy with that, but ya just never get the “i got it” confidence with that zerk
How many hours are on your machine?

Does your grease gun have the needle tip? I have found those help but they can also be tricky to keep centered on the zerk to depress the "button" and grease it, but with several attempts it usually achieves the result.

One thing for sure, having the Milwaukee Battery Powered Grease gun, you have an advantage as its harder to get the gun on the zerk and having to pump the old style grease gun handle.

I just received the Northern Tools big catalog and sale sheet and they have several different battery grease guns on sale. I really need to add one to the tool box as it makes the tougher fittings even easier to service........

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
300 hrs on tractor. And yes battery powered grease gun make the task almost fun.
I do have a needle tip as well but figured 50/50 chance with either tip, guessing the one I used as a bit easier

QUOTE=SulleyBear;3224302]How many hours are on your machine?

Does your grease gun have the needle tip? I have found those help but they can also be tricky to keep centered on the zerk to depress the "button" and grease it, but with several attempts it usually achieves the result.

One thing for sure, having the Milwaukee Battery Powered Grease gun, you have an advantage as its harder to get the gun on the zerk and having to pump the old style grease gun handle.

I just received the Northern Tools big catalog and sale sheet and they have several different battery grease guns on sale. I really need to add one to the tool box as it makes the tougher fittings even easier to service........[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was going to do that exact same thing. You also have to cut one in the right side of the steering column cover and remove the plate behind it to get at the u joint on the engine side.

I just replaced both of those u-joints on my 2210. The rear one you have to do in the tractor. It is major surgery to get that driveshaft in and out.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know it’s a 2305 issue, betting the 2210 was just as bad.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts