Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

New to the forum and I just want to say thanks to everyone who posts tips. I just bought a John Deere 2210 a few weeks back and am very pleased. I upgraded from a 445 (also a great machine) and the loader and 4x4 has been very helpful.

I noticed that my deck was a little out of adjustment so I am trying to level it. I get it pretty close to level, but the front left wheel always seems to be out of sync with the others. When I drop the deck, the two back wheels are about 1/8" off the ground and the front right is 1/4" to 1/2" off the ground, but the front left is stil touching the ground with some pressure. Is it OK to have one of the wheels on a different setting to correct this? They are all set at the 4th hole down from the top. If i move the front left to the 5th hole, the height will be good on all sides.

I tried adjusting the front bracket too, but I get to the point where it has uneven pressure and rattles, so there's not enough adjustment there. Please let me know if you have any tips, your info is much appreciated!

·
Administrator
21,541 Posts
:wgtt:

Do you have one of John Deere's mower height measuring tools? They are inexpensive and great to have.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339642129.249276.jpg

This tool would go a long way in your pursuit of a level mower. For optimal performance the deck should be 1/8"-1/4" lower in the front and level side to side within 1/8". When measuring your blades, check both sides of the blade in the same spot at least once to insure the blade isn't bent. Obviously you want to complete this on a flat and level surface.

Hopefully the issue you have is just an adjustment or bent blade. :good2:

·
Registered
489 Posts
River,

I also had a 445 prior to buying my new 1026R a couple of months ago.

When setting the deck wheels, I've never paid any attention to which hole I'm using for any particular wheel. I merely set each wheel a finger thickness above the concrete driveway with the mower lowered to cutting height. You don't want any wheel dragging across the lawn unnecessarily. Wheels should only contact the ground where the ground has contours in it such as a slope up to a tree.

I think leveling the deck using the JD tool is a good idea but I haven't bought one yet. Too many irons in the fire right now. Enjoy your new tractor.

·
Administrator
20,633 Posts
Welcome to GTT

It does not sound correct to me...can you post a few pictures?

You are not trying to have the deck ride on the wheels are you? The deck should float or hang from the linkage/tractor, the wheels are only to prevent scalping.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It does not sound correct to me...can you post a few pictures?

You are not trying to have the deck ride on the wheels are you? The deck should float or hang from the linkage/tractor, the wheels are only to prevent scalping.
I'm not trying to make the deck ride on the wheels. I'm basically asking if all the deck wheels need to be set at the same hole setting. In order for all my deck wheels to run 1/4" off the ground, 3 of them are on hole #4 and 1 of them (front left) needs to be on hole #5. I was wondering if this is OK, or if it means there's a problem with my deck. Maybe the front left is just bent? Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ended up just leveling the deck and putting one of the wheels on a different setting than the others. The wheel that is different must have got knocked out of place or bent. I have a lot of obstacles in my yard, so that's not surprising, haha. I bought a deck leveler too, those are pretty cheap for such a neat tool! Thanks for everyone's help.

Also, when I was putting my deck back on, I noticed that the linkage bar that connects to the 3-point hitch had a big bend on the threads. After messing around with adjustments, it actually broke! I bought a new one and installed it correctly, so no more problems. I guess that's what I get for buying used. Just wanted to let everyone know that can happen with the linkage bar, so be careful with your adjustments!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts