Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Problems started with tractor being able to start out of neutral.
Today Tractor would not start. Some suggested Battery so I eliminated that first by boosting it.

While holding the key in start position, moving the selector to Hi and back to Neutral just so and the Started kicked in.

But even in neutral I cannot get off the seat as it thinks the tractor is in gear.

So I conclude faulty (or dirty) Neutral switch? Thoughts?

My problem is that I cannot readily see the switch near the lever pivot pivot on the right hand side behind the rear wheel (at least I assume its there from the parts diagram I saw).
Seems it might be behind the frame.

Q: Has anyone changed it and if I remove the rear right tire do I stand a chance of getting at it without too much trouble? Does anyone have a procedure they can send me in a PM? Seems simple to replace if I can access the part.

Thanks for your help

...Ray
2004 2210 54" Deck

·
Premium Member
15,070 Posts
Problems started with tractor being able to start out of neutral.
Today Tractor would not start. Some suggested Battery so I eliminated that first by boosting it.

While holding the key in start position, moving the selector to Hi and back to Neutral just so and the Started kicked in.

But even in neutral I cannot get off the seat as it thinks the tractor is in gear.

So I conclude faulty (or dirty) Neutral switch? Thoughts?

My problem is that I cannot readily see the switch near the lever pivot pivot on the right hand side behind the rear wheel (at least I assume its there from the parts diagram I saw).
Seems it might be behind the frame.

Q: Has anyone changed it and if I remove the rear right tire do I stand a chance of getting at it without too much trouble? Does anyone have a procedure they can send me in a PM? Seems simple to replace if I can access the part.

Thanks for your help

...Ray
2004 2210 54" Deck
Lift the seat disconnect the seat switch , put a jumper wire on wires coming to switch. Now check to see if tractor will start.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lift the seat disconnect the seat switch , put a jumper wire on wires coming to switch. Now check to see if tractor will start.

Just a thought.
I will certainly try that but am not hopeful. I can start the tractor if I am sitting on the seat and find a sweet spot with the shift lever just around neutral.
If I get up from the seat the tractor will turn off (normal behaviour of the circuit if the neutral switch is off)
I conclude from this behaviour, that the neutral switch is defective stay on only on long enough to allow the starter to kick in but does not stay that way for long.

Has anyone had to replace or reset the neutral switch on this model? I am wondering how hard it is to get to.

Thanks
...Ray

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Here is the check procedure from my 2305 manual. I did not see anything in the manual to suggest there is an adjustment. I am pretty sure it is the same as your 2210. I suggest that you do remove the wheel for easier access. Also, there is a check procedure in your Operator's Manual to test all of the safety switches. I think you'll just have to tear into as I don't think that it should be too difficult to get at. I hope some of this helps, good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Removing the wheel will give you some access and it's worth a shot but you may have to remove the seat pan. That is a bit of a PIA because you have to remove the ROPS. My experience with my 2210 is just go ahead and bite the bullet and remove the pan if you have to anything that is underneath it. That is one issue, I have not had with mine. Please keep us posted on how it goes.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fixed

It was the neutral switch in the end, just needed connections sanded on the switch side and connector.
Switch is located on the right hand side, low enough that your best to remove the Right Rear Tire.
There is an access hole in the frame.
Grab connector with a pair of needle nose vise grips and slide it towards reat of tractor to disconnec.
Switch is removed with (don't quote me on this) a 22MM deep socket I believe.
Sanding connector and the posts on the switch and the multi-meter showed NC in Neutral (Ball out) and Open in gear.
Photos attached to pay it forward. Once you've figured it out is seems so easy.
Thanks for your help
...Ray

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
It was the neutral switch in the end, just needed connections sanded on the switch side and connector.
Switch is located on the right hand side, low enough that your best to remove the Right Rear Tire.
There is an access hole in the frame.
Grab connector with a pair of needle nose vise grips and slide it towards reat of tractor to disconnec.
Switch is removed with (don't quote me on this) a 22MM deep socket I believe.
Sanding connector and the posts on the switch and the multi-meter showed NC in Neutral (Ball out) and Open in gear.
Photos attached to pay it forward. Once you've figured it out is seems so easy.
Thanks for your help
...Ray
I'm having issues with my tractor not starting, it just died on me as I was getting ready to remove a stump, spun the seat around, slid it back to give me more leg room, and bam, died! I'll check this switch today, you never know, thanks Simers....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm having issues with my tractor not starting, it just died on me as I was getting ready to remove a stump, spun the seat around, slid it back to give me more leg room, and bam, died! I'll check this switch today, you never know, thanks Simers....
If it just stopped while in gear or with PTO on I would suspect the switch under the seat. Its easy to test for that by simply disconnecting that connector under the seat and using a wire to complete the circuit (as if you were seated) . If the tractor runs then its z faulty seat safety switch or conneciton.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts