Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have 165 hrs on my 2210 and it's been great. Got on the other day and battery was dead. Needed to cut, so I jumped it with the truck. Cut for about an hour and a half. Had to stop for about two minutes so I let it run. Got back on and pulled the PTO swich and no blades. Nothing. Moved the PTO selector to different settings and no rear PTO rotation either. Hydralic is 3/4 way up the glass and no leaks. Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Once you turned off the machine, did the battery have any power? I know nothing about this, but I will venture a guess that you did not have enough voltage to get the PTO turned on.

·
Administrator
17,250 Posts
Welcome to DT...

Need more info please:

When you wrote
Got back on and pulled the PTO swich and no blades. Nothing.
I assume the tractor was still running?

Is this the original battery? If so-then that is probably the problem...Deere batteries are well know for dieing fast like that. If the battery is dead enough-or a shorted cell than there won't be enough voltage to pull the PTO solenoid on to engage the blades.

Do you have a voltmeter?

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
WELCOME to Dt Martin. Brian and Kenny are pointing you to the right place to start. It is funny how that battery can effect all kinds of things.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
If your battery and charging system check out, move on to fuse #2. It feeds power to your PTO switch, turn signals and instruments. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Back to the battery

Thanks for the help. It makes sense that the battery has a dead cell and is completely gone. I put it on the charger and got nothing. It is original - the date on the side is May 03. I don't think this battery owes me anything. This makes sense - the battery may have had enough juice at first to kick in the solenoid, but then it ran down completely and wouldn't take a charge, so when I tried to start again I was out of luck. I live 30 miles from the first real town so I haven't been able to get a new battery to see what happens. Will keep you posted. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Look at the Sears Die Hard Platinum. They are re-badged Odyssey batteries. They have a full 4 year full replacement warranty and then after 4 years the partial replacement kicks in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Installed the new battery and it solved the problem. The hours on my tractor are actually 365 not 165 as I said earlier, I bought it new so it's no surprise the battery gave up. You guys were right, the battery didn't have any juice to engage the blades. The old battery was 435 CCA I moved up to a 500 CCA and it starts great.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
With the tractor running, the alternator should supply enough power to run the tractor. I would check to make sure that you have 13+ volts when the engine is running.
Sent from Kev's EVO.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts