1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Pics Added
Hi All
Thanks for having me.

I just took delivery of my first John Deere. Grew up on a farm using very old Allis Chalmers and older Deutz.

I'm not really familiar with JD and have not lived on a farm or used tractors for a long time.

The 2240 is the right size for my little 15 acre hobby farm. Just need for bush hog and future large garden / vineyard creation.

I need to have someone with some experience come out and go through the tractor with me. Lots of questions about cooling system, hydraulics and gages (none of them work). Obviously willing to pay going rate for labor to help me get up and running. I'm mechanically inclined but not confident enough to start tearing things apart yet.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jim
Tire Cloud Wheel Sky Vehicle

Plant Sky Tree Green Vehicle

Tire Wheel Sky Plant Tractor

Wheel Tire Sky Cloud Tractor

Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Cloud

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Welcome from North Texas

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Farm is in between Kaufman and Kemp. Live in Dallas. Yes the heat is on! Good luck on your new adventure.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
19,809 Posts
Hello, Jim.
Welcome to GTT.

The 2240 (20, 30, 40 series) is an absolute beast and one of the simplest tractors to work on. If you need any long-distance assistance, PM(private message) me and I'll be willing to help.

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Welcome from NW NJ.
You might want to see if a tech manual is available.

Reactions: flyweight

·
Premium Member
3,377 Posts
The 2240 (20, 30, 40 series) is an absolute beast and one of the simplest tractors to work on. If you need any long-distance assistance, PM(private message) me and I'll be willing to help.
I agree 2240 is fairly simple if one understands how closed-center hyd's operate but many people don't understand how CC hyd's function. IMHO you left out the best JD utility models of that era which would be the 50 & 55 series tractors.

·
Registered
J.D 2038r
606 Posts
Welcome to GTT from NW Ct.

·
Premium Member
10,012 Posts
Post some pictures! 🤠 (y)

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
19,809 Posts
IMHO you left out the best JD utility models of that era which would be the 50 & 55 series tractors.
Left those out on purpose, Jim.
The basic tractor is great but there are too many electrical quirks with the 50 and 55 series for the average non-mechanic wise owner.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts