Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, I recently bought my first tractor, a JD 2305. I got it used with about 300 hrs (2006) and it came with a belly mower. The problem is that I can't get the belly mower to hook up correctly and lift. To me it seems like I am missing some kind of bar or something that spreads the hitch arms apart. The problem is that they sway back and forth and do not engage the lever that lifts up the mower deck. Could someone please help me figure out what I am missing?

·
Premium Member
16,473 Posts
Did you try loosening the two turnbuckles?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you try loosening the two turnbuckles?
I did. the turnbuckles do not seem to make much of a difference, or maybe I am just doing it wrong. I need to figure out a way to spread out the lift arms so that they stay put underneath that bracket that lifts the mower deck.

·
Premium Member
16,473 Posts
I did. the turnbuckles do not seem to make much of a difference, or maybe I am just doing it wrong. I need to figure out a way to spread out the lift arms so that they stay put underneath that bracket that lifts the mower deck.
You need to turn them so they get longer. Also rotate those silver collars so welded loops face towards the back. Do you have a simple drawbar you can attach to act as a spreader?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You need to turn them so they get longer. Also rotate those silver collars so welded loops face towards the back. Do you have a simple drawbar you can attach to act as a spreader?

View attachment 740422
I really appreciate you taking the time to make the graphic! I will try all of those things. I do not have a draw bar. Would a 24" draw bar be sufficient? I will order one

·
Premium Member
16,473 Posts
I really appreciate you taking the time to make the graphic! I will try all of those things. I do not have a draw bar. Would a 24" draw bar be sufficient? I will order one
I believe the 2305 has a Cat-1 3PH so as long as you get a Cat-1 drawbar it should work. Most Cat-1 drawbars are advertised as having a 26-inch lift arm spacing.

I'd be surprised if loosening the turnbuckles and rotating those collars doesn't give you enough spacing. Normally folks have trouble with the lower arms swinging out and contacting the tires and they use a bungie cord to keep them together. Not having them spread apart is very uncommon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe the 2305 has a Cat-1 3PH so as long as you get a Cat-1 drawbar it should work. Most Cat-1 drawbars are advertised as having a 26-inch lift arm spacing.

I'd be surprised if loosening the turnbuckles and rotating those collars doesn't give you enough spacing. Normally folks have trouble with the lower arms swinging out and contacting the tires and they use a bungie cord to keep them together. Not having them spread apart is very uncommon.
Thank you, again I appreciate your help and I think your solutions will fix my problem. It isn't so much that they won't spread apart, it is more so that they won't STAY spread apart and when you go to lift the deck the L bracket slips off the lift arms and won't raise the deck. I am 99% sure that the 62C mower deck is sold with a spreader bar (Installing marked as C), but since I bought it used and the guy was shady I didn't even know he didn't give me what I needed. I can't find a part number for the spreader bar for the life of me, but I think your solution with the adjustment procedure and draw bar will get me where I need to be. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
9,402 Posts
Your 2305 with mechanical deck lift originally included a spreader bar to maintain draft link spacing. This also allows the bellcrank to rest on the upper edge of the left draft link and actuate the deck lift mechanism properly.

·
Premium Member
16,473 Posts
Your 2305 with mechanical deck lift originally included a spreader bar to maintain lower draft link spacing. This also allows the bellcrank to rest on the upper edge of the left draft link and actuate the deck lift mechanism properly.
Makes perfect sense. Do you have a reference to the spreader bar? It's not shown in the lift linkage parts. #25 below is what the bell crank pivots on.

·
Super Moderator
9,402 Posts
Makes perfect sense. Do you have a reference to the spreader bar? It's not shown in the lift linkage parts. #25 below is what the bell crank pivots on.
I couldn't find the part number. It is shown in the photo that Coaltrain posted. It would probably be cheaper and easier to source a piece of round stock and fabricate the part or better yet use a drawbar as you suggested.

An iMatch Quick Hitch or a Heavy Hitch would also work just fine!! :rolleyes:

The illustration below shows the correct orientation of the 3PH parts including the turnbuckle position relative to the cross shaft.

Reactions: jgayman

·
Premium Member
16,473 Posts
That's exactly what I need!! Does anyone know if these are for sale anywhere? I have spent hours and hours trying to figure out where to get one
If it bears any resemblance to item #25 above, which is just a 30-inch rod, JD wants $117 for that!! A Cat-1 drawbar will accomplish the same thing for $30 from Tractor Supply and you'll gain a drawbar for towing things. :)

EDIT - on second look... The parts illustration is misleading. #25 in the drawing IS the bar you are looking for. It is 30-inches long and has a lynch pin on the outside and a hairpin on the inside. Only $117 (not including the pins).

Part Number:
LVU14316
Part Price: 117.73 USD
Description: Rod - ROD, ROD, ENDS W/HOLES

Specification
Weight: 4.70 LBS 2.13 Kg
Rod Diameter0.813 IN
Length30.984 IN
Material12L14
FinishB
NoteA

Reactions: kylew

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You guys are awesome! Thank you so much for the info. Yeah I am missing the strap to keep the arms together too, and I noticed JD wants $50 for essentially a bungee cord. Crazy. Thanks again!

·
Registered
26,831 Posts
Just go to Tractor Supply and buy a piece of round stock - measure the diameter you need. Then a couple minutes with a hack saw and a drill and you'll be good to go.

Or as jgayman said - a great opportunity (excuse?) to buy an iMatch hitch.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts