Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not quite there yet, but I am about to come up on my 50 hour maintenance. I was thinking about getting a JD Kit (Just got a coupon for 20% off).
First off, is this the best was to gather all of the supplies needed? Also, the dealer has told me this maintenance is usually done at home but I was more welcome to bring it in (which seemed like an honest answer and not trying to gouge me).
Anyone have the step-by-step "directions" for the maintenance? And is there anything anyone has done/seen that I should be checking or doing?
I have been greasing all the fittings every month since I got it... Thanks in advance!

:drinks:

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
I dont think they have a kit for the SCUTs. I think that was a GT only thing.

Hate to send you to another site but think there is a good write up on MTF about the 50 hour service.

Are you getting the front U joint? I need to get a needle adapter or something as you cant hit mine with a regular grease gun.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Thats the filters for sure.

But you still need the fluids. I think its about 5 1/2 gallons of trans oil and about 5 1/2 quarts of motor oil.

I was expecting a kit like I was used to on the GTs. Oil, filters, plugs (well not for 2305) etc.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I do my own service will it still maintain the warranty? I had heard that you need to take it to a JD dealer or use their oil, filters ect!!!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Western MD Green Machine,

I have a 2005, 990 that I bought used just recently. It had 174 hours on it. the previous and original owner had only changed the engine oil at 100 hours. No other maintenance had been done before. So I have sought to do all the maintenance. I purchased all my fluids from the www.greenpartsstore.com because even with shipping the fluids and filters were less expensive then at my local dealer. However if you have that 20% off coupon then I would say you will get a better deal (unless the Greenpartsstore.com will honor the 20%) at your local dealer.

The engine oil and filter are very simple to do. The transmission/hydraulic is a little more involved but again it is not hard to do. The extra item is the suction screen and you do want to remove and clean it. It will most likely have some little metal flakes on it etc. The question I asked is what solvent should I use to clean the screen once I remove it because the manual says to use a solvent but it does not recommend what solvent to use. The metal flakes and other stuff will be stuck to it due to the surface tension of the oil etc. I asked that question about the solvent on another forum and I got several different ideas of what people use. They ranged from Gasoline, Diesel fuel, brake cleaner and water with a mild detergent. I ended up using water with shakley's basic H which is used for engine de-greasing etc. It worked out great. I just made sure that after it was all clean and rinsed and most of the water was off it that I used a hair dryer to make sure that the screen had no water on it. Some people used air from the air compressor to do that. The important point is to get all water off of it before you re-install it. Hydraulic oil and water do not mix well together . So one wants to make sure that there is no water on it when you put it back in the transmission.

The manual for the 2305 tells you how to change the oil which you can find in an electronic format here http://manuals.deere.com/cceomview/OMLVU23228_B0/Output/Index.html?tM=HO It also gives the recommendations for the type of oil you should use as well.

Here you will find the directions on how to change the transmission/hydraulic fluid http://manuals.deere.com/cceomview/OMLVU23228_B0/Output/Index.html?tM=HO This also tells about the type of transmission/hydraulic oil you should use as well.

The 2305's suction screen has 4 magnets in it. That is a great idea since they attract all of the metal chips. I wish that mine had them in it. I wonder if I could put them in it but that may not be a good idea on my 990. That would be a good question to ask when I get ready to do the next service.

it took me about a couple hours with cleaning the screen and waiting for the oil to dump. I let it drip for some time to make sure I got out as much as possible, then there is the installation of new filters and then adding the oil. The transmission fluid is a lot and takes a little more time. And then you have all the clean up after the fact. Just a note which may be helpful or not; I used a mortar mixing pan that I had for draining the oil. Especially the 990 has 5.5 gallons to empty. I looked in the 2305 manual and it only has 3.4 gallons for the transmission and 3.4 quarts for the engine oil and filter. My 990 has 5.4 quarts of motor oil. These are all located in your manual here http://manuals.deere.com/cceomview/OMLVU23228_B0/Output/Index.html?tM=HO.

Attached are some pictures of my suction screen before cleaning, during cleaning and after cleaning.

I hope that my recent experience will help you out as you go about your 50 hour maintenance.

Rob

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
MY 2 cents

Actually, your operators manual will be the best info you can follow. The whole 50 hr service routine is very simple. Just take your time and you'll be fine. Now, with that being said the suction screen removal will be the worst part of this task. But again, just take your time work throught the removal and follow the manual. You may have to flex the rubber tube alot, and be sure to use any twisting of components to get the screen in and out. Make sure you do not damage any seals or gaskets, you don't need a leak in the end. Here is the section of the manual that covers this. Oh, before you even begin, make sure you clean the area if it is dirty, keeping things clean will help prevent problems later. I find that if I use some spray-on degreaser and then hose it off works great. Hope this helps. :thumbup1gif:

Attachments

·
Banned
747 Posts
Nope, you are protected under the Magnuson-Moss Act, a U.S. Statute:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson%E2%80%93Moss_Warranty_Act

And in particular:

Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty.[2] This is commonly referred to as the "tie-in sales" provisions,[3] and is frequently mentioned in the context of third-party computer parts, such as memory and hard drives.

If I do my own service will it still maintain the warranty? I had heard that you need to take it to a JD dealer or use their oil, filters ect!!!

·
Administrator
23,173 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Western MD Green Machine, I am sure you will enjoy it. I believe that you get a sense of accomplishment when it is all done. It always seems like the machine runs better after I have done it myself!:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Rob and Randy thanks for the great information. May sound strange, but I am actually looking forward to doing my own service...
Western MD Green Machine, I am sure you will enjoy it. I believe that you get a sense of accomplishment when it is all done. It always seems like the machine runs better after I have done it myself!:thumbup1gif:
Actually, I like the fact that I know the work has been done to my quality standards. That kind of thing is hard to find, even in the best dealerships. Though I do have extremely high expectations.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.