Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2305. The battery was bad, so I boosted it off, and mowed for a while. All of a sudden the PTO stops working. I shut the tractor down, and installed a new battery. Now, every time I turn the key to "on" there is a click and the 40 amp fuse blows. I replaced the glow plug relay, because it was making a weird sound. Now, there is now sound, but the fuse blows every time in the on position. HELP!! I've checked wires all around, haven't found anything wrong with them. Where is the starter relay? I'm at my wits end here. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
:wgtt:
From CT

Sounds like you might have a short to ground?

I am sure a member with more electrical knowledge than I will be along with ideas as to what to look for

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
46,352 Posts
Probably not helpful but I will say it any way, battery hooked up correctly?

Reactions: etcallhome

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found the problem!! After unplugging every plug in on the tractor, I now know its the solenoid on top of the injector pump. I started by plugging every thing back in one plug at a time, when I plugged in the wire for the solenoid, the fuse popped. Anyone know where I can get a solenoid? Other than the John Deere place??

·
Administrator
22,604 Posts
Green Farm Parts would be my choice. :good2:

·
Premium Member
20,454 Posts
Glad you found the problem, hate to hear the price of the solenoid.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Green Parts wants $180. I found them a whole lot cheaper at other places. The lowest price I've found so far is $27 dollars from a place in California. FYI that solenoid fits a lot of other brands, so don't just search for green tractors.

·
Administrator
22,604 Posts
Green Parts wants $180. I found them a whole lot cheaper at other places. The lowest price I've found so far is $27 dollars from a place in California. FYI that solenoid fits a lot of other brands, so don't just search for green tractors.
Nice! Did you have a p/n or a link so others may be able to do the same thing?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Installed the new solenoid today. It ran for about 10 minutes, then the PTO shut down, and shortly after that the tractor died again. I'm thinking I might also have a PTO problem to. Everything was fine until she started mowing. Still digging for the answer to the problem. Anybody else have any ideas???

·
Administrator
22,604 Posts
Check your PTO solenoid. It may be internally shorted and pulling more current than the circuit was designed for. :unknown:

·
Administrator
22,604 Posts
I'm not sure exactly,but it's somewhere on the main transmission case. The solenoid is an electrical hydraulic valve.

I'll get on JDParts and post a diagram when I can get on my computer.:good2:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Burnt out diode in the alternator shorting to ground?[/QUOT

I unplugged the PTO solenoid. Installed a new fuse. Unplugged the injector pump solenoid, turned the key on, everything worked. Plugged in the injector pump solenoid, back to square one, turned key on, took about 3 seconds and fuse blew. This thing is driving me nuts!! Why would it work fine yesterday for a few minutes, and then go back to its old tricks again??? In reference to the diode question. No that's not it. I had everything unplugged the other day and started reconnecting things until the few blew, that's how I arrived where I am now. I'm beginning to think it might be that timer switch. Although it checked good, it could be intermittent. BTW, I'm a licensed aircraft mechanic and inspector with 28 yrs of maintenance, this thing is gonna be the death of me LOL. Thanks for the wiring diagram I think it will help. Paul

·
Administrator
22,604 Posts
Just thinking out loud here, but maybe both coils within the fuel shutoff solenoid are energized at the same time. The start coil is a high current, strong coil, while the run coil is much weaker, less current, just enough to hold the solenoid in. Maybe not both coils, but the start coil could be energized anytime the ignition is on?

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.