Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I was going to say yes, but it is your thread on MTF I've been following. It is a bit unsettling, to say the least.

Reactions: Gizmo2 and JD4044M

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
What are we looking at here? Is this the axle housing where it bolts to the differential housing?

And sweet Jesus the metal shavings... Something was grinding.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yeah there is metal shaving (how many more inside scary?)and it is the right rear axle housing and right rear side where axle attaches. I cleaned the shavings on the side before the photo. The shavings are most likely from a piece of the housing the final drive gear destroyed. See pic. Basically need to replace the Diff housing. I posted here as well hoping to find some others that may have had this problem. I have only seen one other but no reply. Machine only has 540 hours on it. Goign to dealer in the morning before going other futher. I suspect I will find whole bolts in the sump and some damaged ones.

Attachments

·
Registered
673 Posts
I just have to ask did you not have any leaks before it all broke loose?

Doug

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Machine only has 540 hours on it. Goign to dealer in the morning before going other futher. I suspect I will find whole bolts in the sump and some damaged ones.
Im sorry for your troubles and sadly this looks to be a big one. I do not have a 2305 and can offer no help to you but I do appreciate you posting about your tractor. This is not the first post I have read regarding bolts missing and/or loose on different JD models. I own a 3520 and I have regularly combated loose/missing bolts on my tractor since purchasing it with 60ish hours on it. I know my post is offering nothing to help your situation however your post certainly helps mine (and maybe others as well) when the time comes to choose the next tractor. Reading about tractors literally falling apart with so few hours plus seeing things within my own model will be factored into my decision next time. I can deal with loose screws holding on various pieces of plastic, no big deal. I can see an occasional loose bolt fastening the fuel bowl, exhaust, or other such components, it sucks but tighten it and move on. However loose, missing, or broken bolts/hardware in critical areas of any machine resulting in these kinds of issues, expenses in repairing, and in some cases potential hazards for the operator is not the kind of things I thought I would be reading about JD products. These are the types of posts that makes me wished I had read more into compact tractors as a whole rather than just 3x20 machines when debating my last purchase.

Again, I am sorry for your troubles and wish you luck on the repair. I hope you keep your thread updated with the progress, I will be following along.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I'm going to speculate that the bolts were either not torqued correctly, had no thread locker applied or both. I'm assuming it is out of JD warranty. It maybe worth reaching out to the transaxle vendor about it and maybe they would step up and make it right. You may want to look and see if you could come across a used assembly.

With the amount of shavings ground up, you're pretty much looking at a complete tear down to not only clean the shavings & grind particles, but to inspect the bearings and other surfaces for accelerated wear from being lubricated by oil with the shavings & grind particles suspended in it.

I don't know if I would quite be shaking my finger at JD, as ky_shawn. Most of the items he reported issues with are assemblies built by someone other JD. JD dislikes these issues as much as we do as they pay warranty claims on them and it impacts product reputation. Moreover, you'll find the same vendors building sub-assemblies for other brands. It isn't any different with on-road vehicles. Pretty much every 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck I've seen has a Dana/Spicer rear axle.

Quite a number of years ago, I purchased a used "project" step van for my business. The BIG issue with the truck was the company doing the maintenance on it. The rear differential had a LOT of slop and was noisy. The ace stroke mechanic that did a rear brake job, had interchanged the primary and secondary brake shoes, didn't press the hub seals into the drum (they were sitting on the hub when I pulled the drums). This allowed all the differential flow out of the drum spindle, coating the brake shoes and running the differential dry. The differential spider gears seized to their shaft, causing it to twist of the pin/retaining bolt. This allowed the spider shaft to spin in the carrier housing, oblonging the holes. The only thing I salvaged from the rear axle was the ring & pinion, the housing (thank God), and the axle shafts. Of course, this was just one of many issues with that truck. It was a year of nights and weekends making it right and I spent almost 10 time what I paid for the truck in parts.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Ky_shawn - Reminds me of when I used to own Harley’s. You could literally watch parts fall off when sitting there idling.

540 hours seems like nothing on a unit like this. They should be built to 3000 hours before you talk replacing parts. Sadly I can’t blame Deere of all the members on here most of their posts are of the bad. I think they just don’t share the good times as much as they should.

Fix it and trade it back to the dealer. That would be my suggestion, also what I did with my 6.0 Ford F-350. (In the end not sure who screwed who)
I

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
This kind of failure is completely inexcusable... Who goes over every piece of equipment they own and check every bolt with a torque wrench??

If the vendor can't supply an assembly that is correctly torqued together with thread lock to avoid FALLING APART, they should find a new vendor. This is still on JD.

Hope you can fix it without excessive costs, I'd be looking for a used unit from a salvage tractor.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
This kind of failure is completely inexcusable... Who goes over every piece of equipment they own and check every bolt with a torque wrench??

If the vendor can't supply an assembly that is correctly torqued together with thread lock to avoid FALLING APART, they should find a new vendor. This is still on JD.

Hope you can fix it without excessive costs, I'd be looking for a used unit from a salvage tractor.
I agree, the quality control is fully on JD

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update:
This tractor was bought new by my father in law now me, but I looked after it. It is 2008 so warranty yeah right. Was at the dealer this a.m. who is just 5 mins down the road, where it was bought. Service people were not happy. Service manager has/had a diff from tractor that had another problem. We will be discussing. He did give the TM pages no problem from the JD and was told to finish the tear down to see what else was required and if need any other info to stop back in.(He seems reasonable.) I will remove the sump and check for the bolts. If they are intact then it is on JD and will work with dealer hopefully. The 10 bolts that are gone are 17 dollars each plus diff housing and seals. Min figure JD should supply the bolts and diff housing if no lock tight found and they came loose as well as the new gaskets, fluid and filter. Warranty or not. I am doing all the work. Taking lots of pics and notes of steps taken to do the work. I can post once I am finished. Maybe should have called in the big guns to do the work, but.... Love the tractor and look after it but know that **** happens and would hope that JD/dealer would work with customers to make it right. It is man made it will break and mfd mistakes happen. Going to be a long week-end of bolt turning and snow called for on Sunday. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For those following:) Here is what I found as I started to get the trans axle housing cover off. Not completely off yet. Ran out of gusto after seeing this last night. Yip five fully intact bolts three sheared ones still two missing might be in the metal filings. Time to drive out a roll pin and get that cover out of the way this afternoon. BTW definitely no lock tight on the bolts. Can reuse 3 bolts is that free parts? j/K BTW no to the leaks before it happened.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
For those following
Here is what I found as I started to get the trans axle housing cover off. Not completely off yet. Ran out of gusto after seeing this last night. Yip five fully intact bolts three sheared ones still two missing might be in the metal filings. Time to drive out a roll pin and get that cover out of the way this afternoon. BTW definitely no lock tight on the bolts. Can reuse 3 bolts is that free parts? j/K BTW no to the leaks before it happened.
I'd cry if that came out of my rear axle... Hoping for the best for you!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Crying began as I have 7 of 10 bolts fully intact. Knowing whole rear end has to come out. More crying.
First cut at possible parts costs 6K plus tax. Tractor was only 12k new. New Tranny is 10k. Fine if I had broke it, but clearly manufacture failure not mine. Hello river of tears.
$2 dollars of lock tight JD.(Large Double Double) The bolts in question are about 1" long and are $17.35 each and need 10 of them. Titanium plated with platinum?
Taking suggestions on where to get parts cheaper than the dealer. Just online from JD parts?
Local dealer offered 6k trade with my current loader, 54 mmm and hoe for the 22k purchase for new 1025r with loader 54 MMM and hoe. I can bust a lot of knuckles and swear even more to save 16k and know the job is done right.
I am responsible for my mistakes for forever; even dead and in the grave, however JD 2 years it appears then they can charge 50% of original price for their failure. Hey boss!! I screwed up, you fix it and pay me double to watch you fix it.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I'm fairly confident John Deere does not build that transaxle, but it comes from an outside vendor. Have you been able to identify who that is and reach out to them?

Often, when you look up parts, such as fasteners, on JD Parts online; it displays the specifications for those fasteners, such as your ring gear bolts. I would start there and gather the specs for those bolts. At that point, a bolt & nut house can likely supply those fasteners at a fraction of the JD price.

For the rest of your parts, try site sponsor Green Farm Parts. Their online prices are discounted from MSRP and when you specify "GTT" in the promo/coupon box, you'll receive an additional 7% discount. Free shipping. No sales tax.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm fairly confident John Deere does not build that transaxle, but it comes from an outside vendor. Have you been able to identify who that is and reach out to them?

Often, when you look up parts, such as fasteners, on JD Parts online; it displays the specifications for those fasteners, such as your ring gear bolts. I would start there and gather the specs for those bolts. At that point, a bolt & nut house can likely supply those fasteners at a fraction of the JD price.

For the rest of your parts, try site sponsor Green Farm Parts. Their online prices are discounted from MSRP and when you specify "GTT" in the promo/coupon box, you'll receive an additional 7% discount. Free shipping. No sales tax.
Martin,
Did some googling. Seems Transaxle Manufacturing of America likely is the builder of the transaxle. It is basically a US base plant(SC), that belongs to subsiduary of Yanmar, that make the transaxles for the gator and SCUTs. I have reach out on their contact page. We will see where that gets me.
Green Farm Parts is about 20 percent cheaper than JD parts(after exchange factor at 80 cents Canadian dollars) the extra 7% will take care of the duty to get it north of the line. Will have to contact for shipping if free north of the line or else I see a trip state side coming up real soon. Thanks for the information. Tomorrow I start removing the green stuff and getting the rear end out. Of course I will take pics and post.
More baggies and notes to come. Ie. each steps' bolts are put in a labeled baggie and numbered.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update:
Heard back from Transaxle America they are not the manufacturer of the 2305 transaxle. Suggested local dealer should address the problem. Just looking for someone at John Deere to step up and meet somewhere in the middle not full list price on the parts. Kinda of insulting as I am already do the labor. Going to be a warm week end. Finish the tear down this week end. No back to paying the bills.

·
Administrator
18,351 Posts
1 - 20 of 48 Posts