Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, new to the forum and this is my first post here - I picked up a 2007 2305 last year as my main mule for my 8 acre hobby farm. Got it with 222 hours and put an additional 40 on it last year. I wanted to do a full fluid service on it for piece of mind so went to the local stealership and picked up 1 gal Cool-Gard II, 1 gal Plus-50, 5 gal Hy-Gard, and 3L of GL-5.

The trans & engine fluid/filter swaps were straight forward. after filling and checking sight glass/dipstick, both amounts jived with the specified amounts on the JD site. However, after draining the coolant and flushing once with water, the amount of coolant I put in was about 0.5L less than what's called for. Also - it's filled right up to the rad cap, and after engine was brought up to temp it only burped a few times and not much is going through the overflow tube into the reservoir (showing less than "fill" line at temp).

Aside from that after draining all 3 points of the front axle, it will only take about 1.75L and it is completely full, specs call for 2.5L?

Any light that can be shed my way is much appreciated!

BTW - going to tackle greasing this thing tomorrow - someone mentioned 31 zerk fittings, is that right?? Anyways, sounds like the driveshaft is a treat, wish me luck!

·
Registered
26,634 Posts
Those quantities sound about right.

With the coolant you didn’t drain what was left in the block - that’s why you couldn’t add the entire amount called for.

Pretty much the same for the front axle. It’s almost impossible to get every bit out of it.

Also - liquid quantities in the manuals are sometimes off a bit.

You did everything right - tractor on!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those quantities sound about right.

With the coolant you didn’t drain what was left in the block - that’s why you couldn’t add the entire amount called for.

Pretty much the same for the front axle. It’s almost impossible to get every bit out of it.

Also - liquid quantities in the manuals are sometimes off a bit.

You did everything right - tractor on!
Ok thanks!

As for the grease fittings - any idea where they all are on this machine? All I can find is one on the front side of the front axle and two on the ball joints - someone mentioned there being over 30 zerk fittings on this thing including two on the driveshaft, I had the tractor lifted 2’ off the ground today and looked under there for half hour and couldn’t find any...

·
Registered
26,634 Posts
Ok thanks!

As for the grease fittings - any idea where they all are on this machine? All I can find is one on the front side of the front axle and two on the ball joints - someone mentioned there being over 30 zerk fittings on this thing including two on the driveshaft, I had the tractor lifted 2’ off the ground today and looked under there for half hour and couldn’t find any...
Hopefully some other 2320 owners will chime in as I don’t know. I think there may be a hidden hard to get to zerk on a driveshaft that is very important.

Here’s a sticky thread about that one zerk -

And the job required to change out that U-joint if it doesn’t get greased -

·
Premium Member
18,545 Posts
Stan, 2305 not 2320 unless you'll just given him the # of fittings on your 2320... Either way gives him an idea of where to look.

Looked up 2305 manual at JD have it posted below.

Shozilla I'm thinking 8-10 fittings ,, been two many years
Two should be on each drive shaft , , manual only shows main driveshaft having fittings.
Then shows the other grease points.
Be careful when using the tractor out in the high brush or hard packed snow. You can break the fins off the cooling fan on driveshaft ; and worse case , can take the needle bearings off the bracket that hold the fan to the driveshaft. Very costly item to replace. Years ago just the bracket was close to $200.

Hi Everyone, new to the forum and this is my first post here - I picked up a 2007 2305 last year as my main mule for my 8 acre hobby farm. Got it with 222 hours and put an additional 40 on it last year. I wanted to do a full fluid service on it for piece of mind so went to the local stealership and picked up 1 gal Cool-Gard II, 1 gal Plus-50, 5 gal Hy-Gard, and 3L of GL-5.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I haven't counted the number of zerks on my 2305 but the number you are hearing could include the FEL and Backhoe if you have one. I haven't seen any zerks on the front Driveshaft but the main shaft does have 2 - perhaps I need to look harder on the shaft to the front. On the main DS, the back zerk is semi easy to grease with a normal head on the grease gun but the front zerk is a royal PITA to grease and mine required me to modify a needle to grease it from underneath. I had to grind down the tip of the needle a bit so I could get it to push into the zerk ball - probably because of the angle of the needle to access the zerk. I had an arm type grease gun and had to buy the handle type so one hand could hold the needle in place and the other one to pump grease. I wish I had an extra arm with an extra elbow on each arm for this job!
One thing to be careful of is to ensure you turn off the flashing (and all lights) lights once you stop the tractor (obviously) but if you do forget as I did once, not only does the battery die but because as the battery voltage drops (no undervoltage protection), the amps rise to handle the load and this burns out a diode in the circuits behind the dash which is a PITA to trouble shoot and find.
Fortunately no other problems with my Johnny and it is nice to have around when doing stuff. As I say to my friend - things go better when there is some green paint around.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.