Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I had a fun time last night. :thumbsdown: I got to experience the lubing of the universal joints on the drive shaft of my 2305. This is the shaft from the engine to the trans. Deere actually did put a fitting on these joints and it is a 90 degree fitting just pointed in the wrong direction. So first problem was to turn the fitting to the right postion. I managed this by using a screw driver as a pry bar on the fitting and ujoint itself. I did luck out on both fittings and they did not break off.

Now, next issue, the fitting on the end of my gun did not have clearance in the ujoint to connect to the zerk. I solved this problem with a needle injector. Similar to one of these: http://www.usahardware.com/inet/shop/item/04140/icn/20-860494/edelmann/05_025.htm Mission accomplished. :yahoo: Don't for get to do this service because the replacement of those ujoints does not look like a fun job.

·
Banned
747 Posts
Thanks Randy, will have to double check mine, but pretty sure mine doesn't have the fittings. Apparently, some came with, some without, according to the other forums, if I recall correctly. My Ford F-350 is like that, some U-joints have fittings, some don't, they are sealed.

Well, I had a fun time last night. :thumbsdown: I got to experience the lubing of the universal joints on the drive shaft of my 2305. This is the shaft from the engine to the trans. Deere actually did put a fitting on these joints and it is a 90 degree fitting just pointed in the wrong direction. So first problem was to turn the fitting to the right postion. I managed this by using a screw driver as a pry bar on the fitting and ujoint itself. I did luck out on both fittings and they did not break off.

Now, next issue, the fitting on the end of my gun did not have clearance in the ujoint to connect to the zerk. I solved this problem with a needle injector. Similar to one of these: http://www.usahardware.com/inet/shop/item/04140/icn/20-860494/edelmann/05_025.htm Mission accomplished. :yahoo: Don't for get to do this service because the replacement of those ujoints does not look like a fun job.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Randy, will have to double check mine, but pretty sure mine doesn't have the fittings. Apparently, some came with, some without, according to the other forums, if I recall correctly. My Ford F-350 is like that, some U-joints have fittings, some don't, they are sealed.
Look real close George, they are not only hard to get at but hard to see. They are in the middle of the joint and are a 90 degree fitting.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Look real close George, they are not only hard to get at but hard to see. They are in the middle of the joint and are a 90 degree fitting.
Ok, well, I just gotta comment here: Randy, no pictures?

Pete

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, well, I just gotta comment here: Randy, no pictures?

Pete
Hey! Thanks for the reminder Pete. :good2: I knew someone was going to call me on this, how'd I know it'd be Pete. Apparently the link to the needle injector wasn't good enough. :boredom: Pete, I also missed your post when you got delivery of your 2305. :laugh:

Actually, I was really crunched for time the other night and pictures just weren't gonna happen. Too many things to do and not enough time. If someone is in desperate need I will see what I can do. Not an easy thing to do. You know laying on your back looking in to a dark place to find something small..........well, maybe I don't want go there. But maybe the Deere parts photo will help for now. It really doesn't call out the zerks, they are on the ujoints on item 14.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cruel, real cruel, but oh so true. So Randy, where's the pics :mocking:
George, be careful who you side with, they can turn on you in a hurry. :tongue:

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Hmmm. Never had a 2305. My "progression" is 318 to "that orange tractor" to the 4520.

Well, if you're going to play the "what do you want, get the job done or take a picture" card, I'll have to side with get work done. The second that's not first you're in trouble. But tnx for posting the parts pix, that will help other find those possible pesky zirks.

And I'd never turn on George (well, not unless the slightest little opportunity presented itself...)

Pete

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
The needle adapter is a must for greasing. There is always that one fitting.:rocket: It's good to see that everyone get their turn in the barrel, Randy.:lol:

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmm. Never had a 2305. My "progression" is 318 to "that orange tractor" to the 4520.

Well, if you're going to play the "what do you want, get the job done or take a picture" card, I'll have to side with get work done. The second that's not first you're in trouble. But tnx for posting the parts pix, that will help other find those possible pesky zirks.

And I'd never turn on George (well, not unless the slightest little opportunity presented itself...)

Pete
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Pete, your a card.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Off road applications in general and the pushing/towing done by tractors in particular tends to be much harder on u-joints. This allows light trucks and autos to use sealed bearings. Even some drive-line applications use sealed bearings.

sent from my cell via tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I understand 'why' you guys are doing this, I've read the threads.

What I find weird is nobody ever lubes their car or truck U-joints, and you rarely see those fail. :unknown:
You must be pretty young Will? :mocking: Automotive u-joints fail all the time. Also, there are cars out there that have servicable u-joints. Kevin is correct, the tractor u-joints see heavier loading.

·
Registered
44 Posts
"You must be pretty young Will?" Yup, ya got me, just a young buck. :)

"Automotive u-joints fail all the time." Really ?, wow, it's been at least 35 years since I've done any u-joint damage, and that was from grabbing second in a hopped up pickim up truck.

Just don't see em fail now a days.

·
Registered
771 Posts
The 855 has one on the transmission end, its not to bad to get.

How do you guys grease the center pivot pin on the front axle? I have to raise the tractor off the ground with bucket and pull down on the right front wheel to get at the zerk.

·
Banned
747 Posts
I replaced one on my F-350 two weeks ago. It was on the front shaft from the transfer case to the front axle. Mind you this truck used to belong to a property maintenance company (got 10 or 11 sets of keys with it) and it's a plow truck.

"You must be pretty young Will?" Yup, ya got me, just a young buck. :)

"Automotive u-joints fail all the time." Really ?, wow, it's been at least 35 years since I've done any u-joint damage, and that was from grabbing second in a hopped up pickim up truck.

Just don't see em fail now a days.

·
Administrator
17,251 Posts
How do you guys grease the center pivot pin on the front axle? I have to raise the tractor off the ground with bucket and pull down on the right front wheel to get at the zerk.
I can get at the zerk easy enough on my 4110, but it will not take grease unless I raise the tires off the ground. Seems there is pressure on the joint and it will not accept any grease while loaded.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts