Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found the belly mower on my 2305 to be useless on my 8 wooded acres. It kicks up leaves and weed fluff that immediately get sucked onto the radiator screen. I literally have to hop off and clear it every 4-5 minutes or we overheat. Will a rear PTO mower cure my headache? Do you have a recommendation?

·
Administrator
17,979 Posts
Welcome to GTT,
Yes a RFM (rear finish mower) will help in that regard, but every 4-5 minutes sounds pretty extreme, are you sure the deck is set up correctly?

·
Registered
192 Posts
RFM on 2305

I’m learning to pay attention to grass on the front grill nowadays, I didn’t used to much.

I mowed about 5.5 acres for 12 1/2 seasons with a 2305 and Frontier 5’ RFM. It’s not a warm climate and I have never over heated that tractor. I have clogged up the front grill a few times. I have transitioned to a garden tractor for mowing over the past year. There are a host of differences between an RFM and a MMM. I have never had an MMM on the 2305. As far as the garden tractor/MMM is concerned I wear a lot more grass and pollen than I ever did with the RFM. I think the rear discharge has some definite advantages on that. With the RFM I have issues with speed, over lap, bent over grass in front of the blades, and a sore neck from constantly looking over my shoulder. The RFM is a fantastic tool when you need to knock down grass fast and have a somewhat decent cut. For my moist damp grass it was not producing the look that I want nowadays. My needs and desires have changed. I will keep it and use it on occasion. The down side is that it cost $1600 in 2006 and looks to me like about $2800 to replace today. I looked at getting an MMM for my 2305 last year. I ended up with a garden tractor to mow with instead. Has your 2305 always clogged up and over heated? I’ve read some accounts of failing radiators as a reason for over heating in the 2305. That’s about a $1200 fix. Good luck.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I had the same problem but I could run longer 15-30 minutes. Deere makes a couple of metal brackets that mount to the lip of the deck I think it is called some thing like blow out kits I added the kits and it has helped some. I found if you keep the deck at a lower cut 3" instead of 5 1/2" helps also.

Doug

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
If you have the 62c deck on your 2305 then the anti blowout kit is what you need. I had the same problem with my X595. I also added G6 Gator blades and get a nice mow with the clippings getting chopped up better.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your thoughts and advice. This is my fourth season with this tractor. The screen clogging and overheating have always been problematic. Worst ever yesterday. We’re very dry here and the live oak leaves are flying about more than usual. I do mow with the MMM deck at highest setting. I’ll try lowering it a bit. I mow rough, grassy/weedy, debris-laden wood lot. Is the anti-blowback kit practical for this kind of mowing?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOVE this site BTW. I’ve been a silent consumer of info, learning from others experiences. Haven’t enough experience to contribute to this point but will butt in one day. ?

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Can't remember does the 2305 have a screen behind the radiator.. if so it may be clogged..

Just clearing the front grill shouldn't be causing that much overheating. Just my 2cents.

Plus is your radiator and over flow tank about half full with antifreeze .

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I have 4 acres in the woods to mow. I cleaned the screen tonight when I finished. The grill was ugly but the inner screen was not bad. Had over an inch of dandelion and other assorted blowing seeds piled on top of the deck.

I kept the deck low and pop it for raised root systems etc so I don’t scalp them. I the th mulch kit on. I have far less issues with stuff blowing back up the front since I put the mulch kit on.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Can't remember does the 2305 have a screen behind the radiator.. if so it may be clogged..

Just clearing the front grill shouldn't be causing that much overheating. Just my 2cents.

It does have a screen just in front of the radiator and it will over heat if the front grill is clogged.

Doug

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Yes, I have to clear the screen closest to the radiator about every 3rd time I clear the front screen. Yes, I keep the over flow at the "full" line. I use my air compressor to clear debris from the tractor and the mower deck before I go out each time. Check the oil EVERY time. I do try to take good care of this excellent beast.

Solution (fingers crossed):
I've decided to buy a Bush Hog bh4 and put my trouble "behind me". My MMM isn't a drive-over and this girl can't get it on & off by herself. At least, not without much ado. I think I will be happy to get the MMM out of the way. The rear mounted brush mower will be handier to pick up and drop off at will, in addition to (hopefully) cutting down the "breathing" problem.

·
Premium Member
9,178 Posts
A rotary cutter or rear mount finish mower will help keep the dirt in the back.

A rotary cutter is likely less $.

I mow woods trails with a 5' Landpride cutter. The tractor, cutter, and I all need cleaned off when I am done, especially if it has been dry.

A couple things I've learned. 1) I try and cut after a light rain when the leaves are still kind of wet. It helps to keep the dust down. 2) Weeds, small sticks, and light grass don't need the full 540 rpm.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts