Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have used an original cab with a rear mounted snowblower for the past seven years. I just picked up a front mounted 47 inch snowblower to try out this year. What are the opinions about upgrading to a front windshield wiper? Also how is the install and wiring?

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have used an original cab with a rear mounted snowblower for the past seven years. I just picked up a front mounted 47 inch snowblower to try out this year. What are the opinions about upgrading to a front windshield wiper? Also how is the install and wiring?
My opinion based on experience is that a front wiper is a must for snow blowing. A heated defroster helps a great deal if you can manage to install one.

The install is easy and straight forward. Just drill the proper size hole in canopy edge. Wiring is simple as well. I grounded the wiper to the cab frame and ran a hot from an empty spot on the fuse box to the wiper switch which I mounted near the wiper. Piece of cake!

Tips: You must have the optional hard windshield for the wiper to work. Shop around for a wiper kit. I have seen them for much less than OTC charges. You could possibly get by with a manual wiper for a lot less if you can tolerate working the wiper by hand.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Tips: You must have the optional hard windshield for the wiper to work. Shop around for a wiper kit. I have seen them for much less than OTC charges. You could possibly get by with a manual wiper for a lot less if you can tolerate working the wiper by hand.
Or have the wife set beside you operating the manual wiper blade for you.:mocking: You do know that it was a woman that invented the windshield wiper? Back in the day this was how they worked, with the wiper handle on the passenger side. Sorry! I couldn't resist and get off thread.

·
Premium Member
1,675 Posts
You will need a wiper with a front snow blower. Do you have a glass windshield? That is required for a wiper.
On the tractors I used a an Original Cab on, I had a 12 volt cigarette lighter style outlet in the dash. I put a plug on the wiper wires & plugged it into the outlet.

·
Premium Member
14,388 Posts
IMO electric wiper is a must if using front snowblower. I've had to stop for a few minutes even with electric wiper just to get the windshield cleaned .
Electric wiper is a easy install drill correct size hole thinking a smaller hole to attach wiper motor to roof. Connect to power source ,cigarette lighter plug, direct to battery or other type connection.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I followed the advice of shopping around and found a wiper kit from TMC-IN. Cost was $80 shipped, I just have to add a switch and wiring. Hopefully everything works out, and I may have enough money left over to add a linear actuated for the chute.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts