Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm new here but I just bought a used 2305 John Deere with 62C deck and the 200cx FEL. Really nice piece of equipment...

Now before I start using it like it's supposed to be used, I really like to do a complete maintenance check of all oil levels, filters an such, just to be sure that the dealer I bought it from did it's homework. (not that I'm paranoid, but better to be safe than sorry no?)

Following the JD manual for the 2305, I checked the front axle oil level, it just needs a little more oil, but nothing to worry about. The only thing I wanted to know from other 2305 owners is the following:

In the manual it states that to check the transxaxle oil levels, you can see a tiny sight glass with the current oil level. It should be around 1/2-3/4 of the sight glass, but my sight glass is completely red? No visible lines of oil? There is no dipstick backup option to check levels, so now I'm very hesitant to start it back up again until I know this is normal or if I urgently need to fill it up / drain it a little.

Image of the sight glass
Auto part Engine Automotive engine part

Can someone else post a picture of how this should look like when correctly filled?

Thanks !

·
Registered
63 Posts
That red color maybe a dye that is added to see the fluid level. Sometimes it very hard to see when you change out the old fluid and add the new. Make sure your hydraulics are all of the way down when checking the sight glass. From the looks of it it's over full. slkpk

·
Administrator
21,070 Posts
Yes, it looks over full. All the hydraulics, loader and 3PH should be fully lowered and the machine at rest for at least 10-15 minutes on a level surface. The red fluid is dyed as slkpk wrote, they come from the factory that way so it looks like it's never been changes (unless dye was added to the new fluid, unlikely though) That said, the level is not super-critical since there is a large reservior.

How long after running does it take to fill that window, or is it always full?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's been sitting in the garage for a couple of days now. The FEL is removed and the MMM and 3PH are lowered to the ground. Maybe the seller's mechanic was a bit too generous with his oil fill-up?

Is it really bad to run with too much fluid or is it something I just should keep an eye on? The machine only has 28 hours on it so it's nearly new, maybe that's got something to do with it?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
42,708 Posts
I think there is an overflow to let oil escape if the oil gets hot and expands. It should be fine. Being so new it probably came from the dealer this way.

·
Administrator
21,070 Posts
It's been sitting in the garage for a couple of days now. The FEL is removed and the MMM and 3PH are lowered to the ground. Maybe the seller's mechanic was a bit too generous with his oil fill-up?

Is it really bad to run with too much fluid or is it something I just should keep an eye on? The machine only has 28 hours on it so it's nearly new, maybe that's got something to do with it?
Please answer this when you can:
If the window is full while running, or fills immediately after shutting off, most likely it's to full. Is that really bad? Not necessarily but it may over flow if it gets hot. 28 hours explains the red factory fluid.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Please answer this when you can: How long after running does it take to fill that window, or is it always full?
From my short experience it's allways full, but I will be keeping an eye on that in the future..

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
As far as overfill....

It only takes about 1/2 quart to go from below site gauge to totally red.. I just added to my 2305 and am totally red right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.