Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should a 2305 be able to spin tires on loose soil in 4 wheel and low range? I was trying to tow something very heavy up hill in loose soil and the tractor would not move and the engine did not bog and tires did not spin. I am thinking prv might be faulty.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
I have done it with mine.....but not sure if both fronts spun

·
Premium Member
8,832 Posts
Should a 2305 be able to spin tires on loose soil in 4 wheel and low range? I was trying to tow something very heavy up hill in loose soil and the tractor would not move and the engine did not bog and tires did not spin. I am thinking prv might be faulty.
Did you have a very loud hydraulic "WHINE" noise when the tractor wouldn't move and you were pushing the forward direction pedal?

If not, what happened?

Have you been able to drive or move it since, if so, is it functioning like it should?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tractor had a very loud hydraulic whine sound but no movement, no tire spin and the engine didn't "bogg" down. This all occurred when moving forward uphill towing a very large industrial chipper. Tractor works fine since but will not tow chipper. This tractor always seemed slow and under powered in forward. Thinking maybe PRV?

·
Premium Member
12,215 Posts
tractor had a very loud hydraulic whine sound but no movement, no tire spin and the engine didn't "bogg" down. This all occurred when moving forward uphill towing a very large industrial chipper. Tractor works fine since but will not tow chipper. This tractor always seemed slow and under powered in forward. Thinking maybe PRV?
How far were you depressing the FWD pedal?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
If your chipper is like the old commercial one I had then it's 2-3000lbs pretty easy. I would expect a 2305 to just sit there if it was trying to tow it up hill. It's a SCUT they do not put a lot of power into them and hydrostatic eats some of it too. I know with my old 2210 (the generation before the 2305) if I had too much weight I was trying to tow (or if my land scape rake grabbed too much dirt) it would just sit there. I could get the rear tires to spin if I was pushing something, not necessarily towing/pulling something. These tractors sometimes protect us from ourselves....Not sure what you mean by PRV, pressure relief valve? I am sure it is set fairly low if that is what you are referencing.

If you are concerned about the hydro's performance usually the first step is to change the fluid and filters and then see what happens. The hydros on these things are pretty reliable. It's the drive shaft U joints that like to fail on this model. :greentractorride:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I do mean the pressure relief valve. The chipper does weigh about 3000lbs and I know it is a SCUT but I expected the engine to bogg down or tire spin. It just sat there with a load whine.

·
Premium Member
12,215 Posts
Yes, I do mean the pressure relief valve. The chipper does weigh about 3000lbs and I know it is a SCUT but I expected the engine to bogg down or tire spin. It just sat there with a load whine.
Depending on how far down you were pushing the FWD pedal what you experienced could be normal.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tried with pedal completely down and just pressing slightly both had same results. Does anyone have an online copy of the tech manual for this tractor? I am thinking of testing the hydraulic pressure but dont have a manual and I can not find anything online.

·
Registered
22,724 Posts
I tried with pedal completely down and just pressing slightly both had same results. Does anyone have an online copy of the tech manual for this tractor? I am thinking of testing the hydraulic pressure but dont have a manual and I can not find anything online.
Deere technical manuals are not available for free online - they are copyrighted.

TM2289 Technical Manual

And Ken sells a test gauge with fitting -

http://www.boltonhooks.com/hydraulics.html

·
Premium Member
12,215 Posts
Pressing the pedal completely down will definitely result in what you experienced but just slightly pressing it should not have.

The hydraulic pressure that needs to be tested is the charge pump. This is different than the pump that runs the loader and steering. The gauge Ken sells is mainly to attach to the loader quick connects. Testing the charge pump pressure requires a different gauge and a special fitting.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What I would like to test is the pressure for the forward drive circuit. I would like to know if the PRV is lifting early.

·
Premium Member
12,215 Posts
What I would like to test is the pressure for the forward drive circuit. I would like to know if the PRV is lifting early.
You will definitely want to get a technical manual. If it's anything like my 2720 there is a detailed procedure for testing charge pump pressure and it involves a gauge of a specified range and a special fitting that can be difficult to find.

·
Super Moderator
2,231 Posts
Can I download a service manual for the 2305 or do I need to buy a CD?
To my knowledge, these manuals are not available online for free. You might be able to find somewhere you can download it, but chances are only by purchase.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Try swapping the PRV's.

Also, stop pulling heavy loads uphill with that tractor before you F something up.:dunno:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the advice including "stop pulling heavy weight" it just seems odd that the tractors engine rpm doesnt slow at all before the PRV opens. I guess I will get a service manual and dig into it over the next few weeks.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Thanks for the advice including "stop pulling heavy weight" it just seems odd that the tractors engine rpm doesnt slow at all before the PRV opens. I guess I will get a service manual and dig into it over the next few weeks.
Why does that seem strange to you?

It shouldn’t knowing that the engine just powers the hydraulic pump for the system and that it’s the pressure of the hydraulic system that you are running to the limit of. The system input pressure is the same if the PRV is open or not and that’s what the engine and pump are driving, not the wheels directly.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just thought I would see the engine rpm drop. Two of my coworkers have small kubota bx series tractors and both said they can stall the engine if loaded to much

·
Registered
715 Posts
It seems odd to me as well, or at least not what I would expect. If you going from zero to the point where the drivetrain PRV kicks in and it doesn't seem like you've lost any engine power in getting there, then that suggests that the machine produces a lot more power than it can use for propulsion. I've been around enough machinery to say that does not sound right. Maybe, but I doubt it. CVTs are able to transfer a lot of torque over a greater range of engine RPMs and it is supposed to be easier to spin the wheels with one.

I would have it checked.

Al

1 - 20 of 22 Posts