Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Just a couple thoughts
some solenoids have assist springs, some require a lot of current to activate but little to stay in the activated position. A thermistor can ramp up the resistance as the load gets heavy and save the solenoid, control the voltage to an extent. If you have one, its a likely suspect, if you have no "hold". >> In my line of work, they do fail, and can have corrosion at connection points as well. When failure occurs its 99% of the time an "Open circuit" . Good luck !

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I will not likely get to look at this thing for the next couple days. I did track down the diode at a local dealer. I decided to have one moved to the their closest location so I can pick it up in a couple days. For $10, I figure worse case I have one on hand for a future failure. I failed to locate a service manual. My local dealer (multi-location) directed me to the Deere site to order one online. GreenFarmParts estimated 2-3 weeks plus shipping for the manual. I can't believe that Deere does not support a licensed download so that I could buy and get today. Let's get with the program Deere!

·
Premium Member
15,084 Posts
If I remember correctly you can pull on the wire to see which diode is being used. At that time I think you can use any of the other diode to see if this starts the tractor..
Which you luck I know it can be a pain.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
It was the diode. I had a heck of a time finding the defective diode. I ended up having to cut into the wiring bundle to follow the wire from the solenoid back to the diode. The bad diode was the 3rd one I managed to find and was wrapped onto the bottom of the wiring harness. Always an adventure in a dirty environment.

In the end, it was a $10 repair. :thumbup1gif:

Lee

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
It was the diode. I had a heck of a time finding the defective diode. I ended up having to cut into the wiring bundle to follow the wire from the solenoid back to the diode. The bad diode was the 3rd one I managed to find and was wrapped onto the bottom of the wiring harness. Always an adventure in a dirty environment.

In the end, it was a $10 repair. :thumbup1gif:

Lee
Good job diagnosing it:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
15,084 Posts
Good to hear you have it running..!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks guys. I have to admit it was a huge relief. I lost some time learning my way, but honestly don't think that a John Deere trained tech would have done it in less than 3 hours time. What is the average labor rate at a local dealership?

It is nice to have the support from this forum.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts