Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
21,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, A guy (named Joe) from another forum asked me to build a custom plow setup for his new 2320. As some of you know the 54" plow that JD offers for the 2x20 series machines is a joke on many levels...So Joe bought a well used Meyer 78" plow of CL, and wanted it put on his tractor before winter. I copied the idea from a user at TBN named GunMaker who did this for his 2520. I had Joe buy the JD factory front QH rather than try to make my own. Anyway, here are some pictures from this past weekend when I got it done for him.

http://picasaweb.google.com/kdeckster/Joes2320#

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Very nice job Kenny! He has a fair amount of lift using the stock JD Lift & Tilt system:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Very nicely done! Kenny you are a CRAFTSMAN. That set up will give him years of service. I like how you incorporated the existing Deere quick hitch arrangement. Sure saves re-inventing the wheel, and it gives him hydraulic lift and angle. Good job!:thumbup1gif::thumbup1gif::thumbup1gif::thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Oh fine...

Make welding look fun and easy so that those of us who don't weld will be tempted to learn.

What an amazing job :thumbup1gif: !

Pete

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Oh fine...

Make welding look fun and easy so that those of us who don't weld will be tempted to learn.

Pete
Pete,
Welding is fun and easy. If I can learn it anyone can. Taught myself by trial and error with some practice. I even weld aluminum and I had heard horror stories about doing that. Now mind you the equipment choices you have today are excellent. You will be amazed at what you will build and repair with a good mig welder. Ya know Christmas is just around the corner. You might want to start being good.

·
Administrator
21,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Oh fine...

Pete
Just to echo what Randy wrote...it is fun and can be easy. But it takes decent equipment and a little time. I am self-taught also...there is no reason you can't learn also. Just let us know when your ready to drop some cash and we can help you spend it:lol:

·
Administrator
21,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
For what it's worth, I'm a self taught welder too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
JD Plow problems?

So, A guy (named Joe) from another forum asked me to build a custom plow setup for his new 2320. As some of you know the 54" plow that JD offers for the 2x20 series machines is a joke on many levels...So Joe bought a well used Meyer 78" plow of CL, and wanted it put on his tractor before winter. I copied the idea from a user at TBN and MU named GunMaker who did this for his 2520. I had Joe buy the JD factory front QH rather than try to make my own. Anyway, here are some pictures from this past weekend when I got it done for him.

http://picasaweb.google.com/kdeckster/Joes2320#
I took delivery of my 2320 in January w/MMM and FEL so there are a still ton of attachments that I'm interested in getting over time. One of the things that I'd like to get some day is a front blade for snow removal. So far I'm very happy with the deere (except for the missing stow and go hooks on my 62D, but that's for another thread) and the quality of their products so I'm somewhat surprised to find that apparently some folks are not very happy with the 54" plow. This is one of the items that I'm very interested in so I'm hoping that you might go in to more detail as to what some of the problems with this plow may be.

·
Administrator
21,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is one of the items that I'm very interested in so I'm hoping that you might go in to more detail as to what some of the problems with this plow may be.
The issue with the 54" plow is that it's only 54"! When the plow is angled, it only cuts a 48" path and that barley covers the tires tracks. These tractors have so much torque and traction that is a shame to offer the same plow for both the L&G tractors as they do for the CUT's.

Deere used to offer large, heavy mid-frame mounted plows when the had the x55 (755, 855, 955) series machines but for some reason stopped offering them. I bought a used #380 blade from an older tractor and made it fit my tractor-it's a plowing machine! There are pictures here https://picasaweb.google.com/kdeckster/PlowPics#

·
Banned
747 Posts
Tis a big conspiracy to get you into welding....:bye2:

Real nice work, there Kenny!

Oh fine...

Pete

·
Banned
747 Posts
Me too, somewhat. I took Motocycle Mechanics at B.C.I.T. in Vancouver, Canada way back when. Part of the course was instruction on oxy/acetalyne, but was very basic. MIG I picked up on my own.....

For what it's worth, I'm a self taught welder too.

·
Banned
747 Posts
What are the thoughts of using a front QH (Speeco, others) and using a rear back blade on the front? Personally, I think it would be sticking way to far in front, but curious on what others think....

·
Administrator
21,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What are the thoughts of using a front QH (Speeco, others) and using a rear back blade on the front? Personally, I think it would be sticking way to far in front, but curious on what others think....
I would say no for these reasons, one a two being the most important:
-To far out in front
-NO trip springs/mechanism
-Manual angle

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
I would say no for these reasons, one a two being the most important:
-To far out in front
-NO trip springs/mechanism
-Manual angle
And I'll add possibly tweaking your loader frame by imposing forces on it that it wasn't designed to handle.

·
Banned
747 Posts

·
Administrator
21,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
John Deere makes plows designed to attach to the front loader. Are you thinking that the front quick attach wouldn't be strong enough, and could 'tweak the loader? Please elaborate.

JD Loader plow:

http://www.deere.com/servlet/ProdCatProduct?tM=FR&pNbr=AF12_XF
The QA doesn't concern me, it's the forces put on the loader frame. Although the newer loaders have the curved frame; there still is a theoretical intersection where the line from the bucket side pins meets the line from the frame mounting near the cab/operator's station. That hinge point is where the frame will want to buckle. This inverted "V" is most noticeable on the older 400 series loaders like I have.

I'm not saying it can't be done as Deere markets the plows; but the loader frame has to have enough strength to begin with in order to be a candidate for such an attachment.

·
Banned
747 Posts
Thanks for the clarification...

The QA doesn't concern me, it's the forces put on the loader frame. Although the newer loaders have the curved frame; there still is a theoretical intersection where the line from the bucket side pins meets the line from the frame mounting near the cab/operator's station. That hinge point is where the frame will want to buckle. This inverted "V" is most noticeable on the older 400 series loaders like I have.

I'm not saying it can't be done as Deere markets the plows; but the loader frame has to have enough strength to begin with in order to be a candidate for such an attachment.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts