·
Premium Member
948 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
How? Why not? What didn’t work?
Was trying to go over the top instead of under the driveshaft to avoid having it susceptible to snagging on something again. Tolerances and space were tight. Just missed it. Better to have the hose and fittings made on site so taking another stab at it by having the hydraulic line guys come to me. They are only about a mile or so from my location. Getting a real education the hard way. A real live comedy of errors except I’m not laughing anymore. The saga continues. Stay tuned for future episodes.

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Looks like it took a direct hit from a Sidewinder missile. :laugh:
Definitely a trial by fire. This is my first tractor and first attempt at pretending to be a mechanic. I’ve decided this ain’t the right career path for me. Unfortunately I can’t afford a JD wrench slinger so i’m it for the time being. Trust me, the doctors even more terrified than the patient. PS What do you know about taking transaxles off? This is what it looked like before.:greentractorride::laugh:

Oddly enough it’s starting to resemble one of the pieces of sculpture I make. Sculpture Art

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I would suggest a full inspection on the drive shaft u-joints, and if there is any cause for concern I would replace them now!!!!
You didn't say how many hours are on your 2320, but if the previous owner didn't have them greased and you weren't aware of service needed to them, it's best you read the very first discussion at the top of MCUT (service notice 2320).
All the best to you my friend.
When that line pulled into the driveshaft u-joint and the floorboard started thumping my first thought was the infamous u-joint failure. Was almost relieved at the time it was just a hydro pipe rubbing against it. WRONG, never would have dreamt that line would be buried so deep that half the tractor had to be removed just to get it out. Although more expensive I think the drive shaft replacement might have required less work. Hoping to not ever find out.

Reactions: rtgt and OxPath

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
First of all, someone did some nice brazing. :bigthumb:

Assuming this is the pipe in question...

View attachment 683028

I looked at the install part here ... but there was no torque spec provided. :banghead:

View attachment 683030

But I did find this section with torque specs for the various banjo bolts.
It should give you some idea.

View attachment 683032

Best of luck, hope this helps.
Thumper
Thumper, Bought the manual,ouch. It was not helpful. Waited through a week and a half of we’ll get to you tomorrow from a local hydraulics shop and finally realized my tractor is small potatoes to them. Went back to John Deere and ate crow. Bought back the 150 dollar pipe I had returned on the advice from the hydraulic shop. Figured out how to get it in without messing with the transaxle or driveshaft or break rods. Not easy. Did have to loosen one other hydraulic line temporarily. It’s in and the hydraulics are working again. Going to add a 3rd scv while the fender and tire are off. What an initiation to the wonderful world of mechanics. Happy ending. I think this would have cost at least a couple grand at the dealership. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Nice to here that this story has a happy ending, and in the future never underestimate yourself. If we could have a reassembled picture of your 2320 that would be great, because to be honest with you the disassembled pics out in the field looked pretty bad. Major surgery even for the most seasoned mechanic.

Reactions: Hotfeet and rtgt

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thumper, Bought the manual,ouch. It was not helpful. Waited through a week and a half of we’ll get to you tomorrow from a local hydraulics shop and finally realized my tractor is small potatoes to them. Went back to John Deere and ate crow. Bought back the 150 dollar pipe I had returned on the advice from the hydraulic shop. Figured out how to get it in without messing with the transaxle or driveshaft or break rods. Not easy. Did have to loosen one other hydraulic line temporarily. It’s in and the hydraulics are working again. Going to add a 3rd scv while the fender and tire are off. What an initiation to the wonderful world of mechanics. Happy ending. I think this would have cost at least a couple grand at the dealership. :bigthumb:
Yeah, I am not overly impressed with parts of the manual but it is better than no info at all. Very glad to hear you got her put together, that was quite the teardown you had going on. Would love to see it all back together.

Thumper

Reactions: Hotfeet and rtgt

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Yeah, I am not overly impressed with parts of the manual but it is better than no info at all. Very glad to hear you got her put together, that was quite the teardown you had going on. Would love to see it all back together.

Thumper
Just got her all back together today and it all works fine. Had a heck of a time with the fender support. Needed 2 extra hands. Still need to get the top of the ROPS back on but wife will help with that. Will post photo tomorrow. I’m having a 18ft trailer with dove tail and fold down ramps built now. Next time, I will pull it to my house in town for repairs. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine replacement of a hydraulic pipe would be so complicated. Seems like everything on this tractor is connected to 5 other things.

Ran the power rake over my washed out SB2 driveway. Fixed up about 400ft in 30 minutes or so. Been raining raining every other day here in Arkansas. I’ll be glad when this shop is built. Not to keen on working in the mud. Take care and thanks again.

Reactions: rtgt and theduke

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Nice to here that this story has a happy ending, and in the future never underestimate yourself. If we could have a reassembled picture of your 2320 that would be great, because to be honest with you the disassembled pics out in the field looked pretty bad. Major surgery even for the most seasoned mechanic.
And I didn’t even have left over parts when I finished. :lolol: Thanks man. Will post tomorrow. Would give her a bath but still no water or electric at my shop build site. Just plenty of mud.

Reactions: rtgt

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Tractor Agricultural machinery Plough

Thumper
ROPS still not back on but staying away from hills until I get an extra pair of hands to help. Ran it about 2 hours today. Just like new.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.