Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2007 yr. JD 2320 that makes a whining noise in high gear . Every thing works correctly & it runs fine . I think the noise is from the hydr. system . Does any one know if the noise is normal ? I have not changed any of the fluids yet , but I will when I pick up the new filters .

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
How many hours on this machine?
Do you have the same noises in 2wd vs 4wd?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I would change the hydro fluid and filters and see if that helps.

·
Administrator
22,655 Posts
Most hydrostatic transmissions whine some, and most are worse in high gear.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
345 Posts
I notice that the Kubotas seem to whine a bit more than the John Deeres on youtube. It gets annoying after a while but doesn't seem to hurt anything. I have a 2025R. Same as a 2320 I don't notice any exceptional whine. I run the john deere low viscosity fluid. 555 hours.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Oh yeah. When you change your oil be sure to get some of this on there. The new oil is so clean you can't see it in the sight glass.

Oil Dye

Reactions: Gebada22 and Gizmo2

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Most likely the noise is normal. Are you working the tractor (pulling something heavy, or going up hills, or pushing a loader bucket into a pile, etc) when it makes the noise? My 2520 whines more in high than in low, and also whines more when working it at less than 3/4 throttle. A hydrostatic transmission pump will make full pressure at just over idle, but fluid flow is a function of pump speed, so run it at 3/4 to full throttle (PTO speed, which is marked on the tachometer face) when doing more than moving the tractor from point A to B.. The lift and ground speed will be faster, too. If you don't know the last time the transmission was serviced, change the fluid and filter (oil, too), and make sure the fluid level is correct.

If you're new to these machines, the 2320 has a drive shaft between engine and transmission, which is a major failure point if it is not maintained properly, which means greasing the U-joint on the shaft regularly. It is notoriously difficult to get to, I think you may have to take up a floor board or the center cover between the floor boards to access it. The 2520 and 2720 don't have the shaft.

Reactions: W G Murphy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Most likely the noise is normal. Are you working the tractor (pulling something heavy, or going up hills, or pushing a loader bucket into a pile, etc) when it makes the noise? My 2520 whines more in high than in low, and also whines more when working it at less than 3/4 throttle. A hydrostatic transmission pump will make full pressure at just over idle, but fluid flow is a function of pump speed, so run it at 3/4 to full throttle (PTO speed, which is marked on the tachometer face) when doing more than moving the tractor from point A to B.. The lift and ground speed will be faster, too. If you don't know the last time the transmission was serviced, change the fluid and filter (oil, too), and make sure the fluid level is correct.

If you're new to these machines, the 2320 has a drive shaft between engine and transmission, which is a major failure point if it is not maintained properly, which means greasing the U-joint on the shaft regularly. It is notoriously difficult to get to, I think you may have to take up a floor board or the center cover between the floor boards to access it. The 2520 and 2720 don't have the shaft.
I am getting the parts to change the fluid . The drive shaft does not have a grease fitting that I can find ! I have read that the shaft U- joints are a problem . My tractor is a 2007 year model , do the early year models U-joints not have grease fittings ?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
45,424 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Pretty sure it does, our 2008 does.
Check these out...
2320 Manual Update. VERY IMPORTANT
2320 u joint replacement

Grease Fitting
The 2520 and 2720 don't have the shaft.
Grease Fitting
No, shaft. On the 2520 and 2720, the transmission is bolted directly to the engine with no intermediate shaft between them. Not entirely sure about the 2320, but the 2520 and 2720 were built by in Japan by Yanmar to Deere specifications. At least, my manufacturer's plate says Osaka, Japan and not Horicon, Wisconsin. Mine is a 2009 model.
Motor vehicle Font Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
45,424 Posts
No, shaft. On the 2520 and 2720, the transmission is bolted directly to the engine with no intermediate shaft between them.
Hence no grease fitting :ROFLMAO:
My Bad

Reactions: flyweight

·
Registered
15,695 Posts
2320's were made in Japan by Yanmar also. I'm pretty sure if it is a 2320 it has a driveshaft with grease fittings between the engine and hydro.

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
19,533 Posts
2320's were made in Japan by Yanmar also. I'm pretty sure if it is a 2320 it has a driveshaft with grease fittings between the engine and hydro.
Don, I'm pretty sure the 2320's were manufactured in Augusta, Georgia. The engines were built in Japan by Yanmar and shipped to the USA for installation.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I believe the 2320 has the same engine as the 2305, but on the larger 2 series frame. The 2305 is the same size as today's 1 series (equivalent to the 2023/2025). The engines in the 2520 and 2720 are somewhat different from the 2305 and 2320's engine. The 2320 is a higher-revving engine, with a PTO speed of about 3400 rpm or so, much like the X-series diesels and the current 1-series. The 2520 and 2720 are lower-revving engines that make their power around 2500 rpm. When you hear one run, it's obvious they are more like the larger tractors.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My 2320 has two drive shafts . One from the engine to the trans , & one from the trans to the front axle . The lower one from the trans to the front axle is easy to access . The other one is located above the frame & below the floor covering . The U-joints are hard to even see much less access to grease . I changed all the fluids & filters yesterday. The whine from the Hydro. Trans. is not as loud & I tried running at a higher RPM , that seems to lower the noise from the Hydro. also . The next job on it will be to grease the U-joints . I read the article on replacing the U-joints . Looks like a big job !

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
The whine from the Hydro. Trans. is not as loud & I tried running at a higher RPM , that seems to lower the noise from the Hydro. also .
These smaller tractors don't make significant power until they get well up into their operating range, which is generally 3/4-full throttle; torque in a hydrostatic transmission is directly related to fluid flow, which is based on pump speed, which is related to engine speed. It doesn't hurt these engines to run at full rpm, they are designed to run that way, and there is no real benefit to operating them at less than about 2/3 throttle. Maximum torque when pulling (like plowing or pushing into a pile with a loader) will be found in low range, if you try too heavy an engine/transmission load in high range, you'll run up against the hydrostatic pressure relief valve. I hardly ever use high range unless I'm moving from one spot to another, or mowing or aerating on level ground. I find that low range at PTO engine speed gives me the best usable ground speed for whatever task I'm doing

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.