Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 241 Posts

·
Administrator
17,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those with 2320's, here is a VERY important update for your manual. I have read about some failures in the drive-lines on these machines, appearently JD has recognized it as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks Kenny,

This is just in time for me, coming up on 50 hours....
Scary stuff too...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Kenny, took my 2320 to the shop and asked them to perform this service... thanks !

·
Registered
95 Posts
when i download the attachment it just shows a blank sheet with a red x through the page. has anybody else had trouble with viewing this?

·
Administrator
17,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
when i download the attachment it just shows a blank sheet with a red x through the page. has anybody else had trouble with viewing this?
What version of Adobe do you have Jeff? It shows up fine in my version 8.

·
Administrator
17,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kenny, took my 2320 to the shop and asked them to perform this service... thanks !
No problem SMB, that is why we are here:thumbup1gif:

Just curious though, had they ever heard of or seen the update?

·
Registered
72 Posts
No problem SMB, that is why we are here:thumbup1gif:

Just curious though, had they ever heard of or seen the update?
Actually, I emailed the dealer with a link to... your update ; )... and they said that they would take care of it. When I go to pick the beast up, I'll ask them if they had heard of the issue before and especially if they had followed GreenTractortalk before... probably this Thursday.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
What is it about Deere and front drive shaft greasing. Thats the same one that is impossible to grease on the 2305 that they later figured out should be greased !

·
Administrator
17,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome to GTT!

When I go to the http link in the attached PDF I get a log in screen. I think I know which fitting is at issue but what is the log in screen? Is there a way to see the location and get the service interval?
And the previous post mentions 6 fittings. Huh?
Thanks.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.041863,-88.770038
I'm mobile using Tapatalk

Since this is a dealer DTAC document, you can't go to the link since your not a dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,675 Posts
I was not aware of this. I had a 2320 for 5 years & 200 hours. I did not have any problem with the drive shaft.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Coincidence!

I have been doing my 50 hour maintenance this weekend and got to the part about the driveshaft. I crawled under there with my gun and greased the u-joint on the transmission easily but when I went to do the front one (as per manual)and it is buried, I went and got a flashlight and could not see a nipple on it. I guess this means it "aint a squeaky wheel"!

VP

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have been doing my 50 hour maintenance this weekend and got to the part about the driveshaft. I crawled under there with my gun and greased the u-joint on the transmission easily but when I went to do the front one (as per manual)and it is buried, I went and got a flashlight and could not see a nipple on it. I guess this means it "aint a squeaky wheel"!

VP
Guess again, I went in with an inspection mirror and flashilight, there is a zerk in there pointing backwards, Help!

VP

·
Administrator
20,466 Posts
Try something like this

Guess again, I went in with an inspection mirror and flashilight, there is a zerk in there pointing backwards, Help!

VP
Pete, I use a grease needle on all zerks. It's great for hard to get to fittings such as the engine drive shaft u-joints. It takes two hands, one for the needle, and one for the grease gun. Obviously you need a pistol grip grease gun vs. a lever style.
IMG_1452.JPG

Here's a close-up if the needle. There are a lot of them out there, but beware. Most of them are much larger in diameter and some needles are for penetrating CV axle boots. I believe I got mine at NAPA.
IMG_1451.JPG

I just greased my tractor including the engine drive shaft. The only stumbling block was rotating the engine by hand to line up the zerks. :good2:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Eureka! The $%#@*&% front U-Joint is lubed! I attempted to lift the floorboard, after I had all the screws, pedals and knobs off it wouldnt clear the plastic shroud so I started messing with that, got it loose enough to expose the side panel. I held it open with some old jeans, I tie wrapped the connector that was dangling in the way. I looked in and saw the "Jerk". I attempted to use my standard grease gun and tip, it made a mess. I had lunch and calmed down a bit, boy was I cussing out Deere! They are going to hear from me tomorrow whether it will matter or not we will see. So I went to Tractor Supply and they had 2 kinds of grease adapters. a needle adapter and one with a bigger hole, that is the one I got. I tried it and again a big mess, the Jerk is in there at a %%$#&*angle, so I bent an angle to the adapter, worked great. I have some pictures, you can see a before and after picture of the grease on the u-joint. I hope this helps others as you guys have helped me. I think next time I wont take the floor apart, I dont think it helped at all, I just have to take apart the plastic shroud or try from underneath with the special grease adapter, although maybe now I have the wrong angle on the adapter, I may have to get another one. What about the poor souls that put 50 hours on their 2320 in say a month or even worse a week!

VP

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts

·
Administrator
17,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I cut out the plastic over the access plate so I can get to the front zerk by removing two bolts.
Be careful of the wires on the back side of the plastic if you do this.
I'll try to attach a pic.
:wgtt:

1 - 20 of 241 Posts