Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
while running my machine today, I noticed that the rear PTO was spinning when the switch was not engaged. Is this normal? I seem to remember some tractors back on the farm that did this, but I was just wondering if it was normal for these machines? The manual does not say anything about it.
thanks in advance,
JDfun

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Was it spinning at full speed or just slowly turning? It should not be turning at full speed. It might be normal for it to turn a little, but there should not be much power behind it. It should not turn if an implement is attached.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it does not appear to be turning full speed. Does anyone else see this with their machines?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also there is no power behind it...I can easily stop it by applying very little pressure. Is there a brake or something on the PTO that is malfunctioning, or is it normal to see this?

·
Administrator
21,043 Posts
Yes, there is a brake that should keep it from turning. Is it mission critical? no-I don't think so. I would however mention it to your dealer especially if it's still under warranty.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
OK JD, I'll ask, how in the world can you see your rear PTO while sitting in the seat? :unknown: Looks like the guys have already answered your question. You can check out JD Parts for the parts list. Here is a pic of it from them.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK JD, I'll ask, how in the world can you see your rear PTO while sitting in the seat? :unknown: Looks like the guys have already answered your question. You can check out JD Parts for the parts list. Here is a pic of it from them.
Randy-
I can't....I noticed it while I was off of the machine and it was running (machine in neutral with the park brake on). I was filling the ballast box with patio block at the time when I looked over and saw the shaft spinning.

To be honest, I am a bit disheartened by this; I did not expect something like this to happen having purchased a John Deere.

-jdfun

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Also there is no power behind it...I can easily stop it by applying very little pressure. Is there a brake or something on the PTO that is malfunctioning, or is it normal to see this?
I've seen this happen on a number of my tractor. the JD -"M" and I'm quite sure the 4200 does it also. They're not engaged, but I always thought that the gearbox grease viscosity created enough of a swirl in the rear-end to have them rotate slowly. Seems to happen more when their cold. The rotation can easily be stopped by hand, not that I would ever suggest, or do that! :mocking:...~Scotty

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
I don't know where you got that detail Randy. This is what I found: I'm thinking the oil viscosity alone will cause all those clutch plates to adhere enough for a slow/powerless rotation.......~S

Attachments

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Jdfun,
This PTO has a hydraulically actuated clutch pack to engage and a smaller, spring actuated brake to stop. There are no DTAC solutions related to this problem. With this clutch/brake setup, I would not expect to see shaft rotation. There does not appear to be any adjustment. I would suspect wear on the brake disks or weak Belville washers in the brake assy. How many hours on this unit?

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
I don't know where you got that detail Randy. This is what I found: I'm thinking the oil viscosity alone will cause all those clutch plates to adhere enough for a slow/powerless rotation.......~S
Scotty

My detail is of the brake assy, yours is showing the PTO shaft assy. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
To be honest, I am a bit disheartened by this; I did not expect something like this to happen having purchased a John Deere.

-jdfun
JD,

Only a minor issue, your dealer can have it all fixed up in no time. I am sure once you get this squared away you'll have no more problems with that Deere. :good2:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
JD,

Only a minor issue, your dealer can have it all fixed up in no time. I am sure once you get this squared away you'll have no more problems with that Deere. :good2:
Thanks...I did have an awful lot of fun with it this weekend. Using the 2320, I was able to make a solid 2 days of work by hand into about 6 hours using the Deere. Used it to clean up brush after taking down 5 trees in my new property on Saturday and used it to clear a nice walking path through the woods between my old property and my new property. It was so much fun, it did not really feel like 'work' at all! :thumbup1gif: (P.S. don't tell my wife I said that...)

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
JD,

Ya know, I really don't know anything about the PTO control on a 2320, just the 4200, so one of you guys should "man-up" and just say "Scotty-"Chime-Out"!! (not chime-in!) That said, I offer one more thing: My PTO Has a three position control 'Stop', 'Off', 'On'. If it's in 'Stop', nothing moves, and it's locked. If it's in 'Off', it may tend to rotate with no force as I described earlier. If it's "On", It's in power-mode, and I'm not grabbing the shaft! I think the off mode will allow the shaft to spin slightly, perhaps to allow you to line up shaft splines! Signing-Out now, with a self-inflicted "Chime-Out' beatdown! :lol: ~Scotty

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Ya know, I really don't know anything about the PTO control on a 2320, just the 4200, so one of you guys should "man-up" and just say "Scotty-"Chime-Out"!! (not chime-in!) That said, I offer one more thing: My PTO Has a three position control 'Stop', 'Off', 'On'. If it's in 'Stop', nothing moves, and it's locked. If it's in 'Off', it may tend to rotate with no force as I described earlier. If it's "On", It's in power-mode, and I'm not grabbing the shaft! I think the off mode will allow the shaft to spin slightly, perhaps to allow you to line up shaft splines! Signing-Out now, with a self-inflicted "Chime-Out' beatdown! :lol: ~Scotty
Good job Scotty, I passed your test then? :good2: It's nice someone is checking up on us. :mocking: We really do enjoy your input. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Hey, guys.
I had an opportunity to look at a 2320 this afternoon. The PTO brake stops the shaft immediately when the switch is turned off. Call your dealer and let them take a look that little fellow.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey, guys.
I had an opportunity to look at a 2320 this afternoon. The PTO brake stops the shaft immediately when the switch is turned off. Call your dealer and let them take a look that little fellow.
I took another look at mine and I found that this only happens when the PTO select lever is on mid only PTO. When the select is set to mid and rear or rear only, the rear PTO does not turn at all when the switch is not engaged. I am thinking that this is probably the way it is? thoughts?

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Hmmm..I'll double check when I get back to the shop. Maybe Friday afternoon. That does sound it might be hydraulic rotation while mechanically disconnected and, likely, harmless. Will let you know.

sent from the road

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Checked out the PTO on a 2520 this afternoon. The rear shaft will "freewheel" when selector is set to mid PTO only. I suspect your machine is just fine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts