Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a JD 2320 and now find the rear tires have been rubbing on hydraulic lines causing a leak. Also 3pt arms make contact with tires. My questions are ... the tires are factory so why rubbing ? Under inflation (chloride filled)? What's involved with changing metal hyd. line?
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
I recently bought a JD 2320 and now find the rear tires have been rubbing on hydraulic lines causing a leak. Also 3pt arms make contact with tires. My questions are ... the tires are factory so why rubbing ? Under inflation (chloride filled)? What's involved with changing metal hyd. line?
Thanks for any help.
:gtfam:
Best to start a thread in the MCUT forum for your questions.
Welcome from central Ohio :wgtt:

Posting pictures will help in diagnosing the problem.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Thanks for any help.
Picture would help. But it sounds like your 3pt arms are not on correctly. Hyd. lines are easy to replace, just follow to each end and take off. The repair itself is easy the price will hurt.

Reactions: jdforever

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,440 Posts
:wgtt:

Are the tire valve stems on the outside or inside?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,440 Posts
My thought was tire issue as it rubs on hyd. lines and 3pt arm?
Well you answered my next question as to what tire you have. I do believe the turf tires are wider than R4's.

·
Super Moderator
5,377 Posts
My 3pt arms were rubbing against the rear tires on my 2032R when I first got it. You can tighten up the turnbuckles on your 3pt arms and stop that from happening. If they are loose, they sway as you drive around and smack the tires. Many people (myself included) mount a Quick Hitch and then tighten up those turnbuckles so that you so have to mess with them very often.

I'm not sure if the wheels for R3 tires on your machine are 1-position or 2-position. (JDParts doesn't make any mention...) If they are 2-position, you can flip them from side to side (i.e. put the valve stems facing inward) and that would give you more space between the tires and the machine itself. It isn't much, maybe an inch or 2, but that's often enough. If they are single position, I'd add 1.5" wheel spacers.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
My 3pt arms were rubbing against the rear tires on my 2032R when I first got it. You can tighten up the turnbuckles on your 3pt arms and stop that from happening. If they are loose, they sway as you drive around and smack the tires. Many people (myself included) mount a Quick Hitch and then tighten up those turnbuckles so that you so have to mess with them very often.

I'm not sure if the wheels for R3 tires on your machine are 1-position or 2-position. (JDParts doesn't make any mention...) If they are 2-position, you can flip them from side to side (i.e. put the valve stems facing inward) and that would give you more space between the tires and the machine itself. It isn't much, maybe an inch or 2, but that's often enough. If they are single position, I'd add 1.5" wheel spacers.
This is a good start indeed. While I was looking at doing that change and looking at the line replacements I’d thoroughly investigate if the lines were located properly or if they had at some point previously been moved, mid-secured or missing attachment points or anchorage of if perhaps they had been bent slightly allowing them to rub the tire mistakenly.

You don’t want to go spend the time and $ replacing them w/o diagnosis of the cause and have it reoccurring.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I see a hose clamp in the picture that looks funny. Kind of looks like someone in the past tried to cure the problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Parts display shows clamp,I think its factory.
Owners manual shows rear tires 31X13.5-15 R3
Mine are31X13.5-15NHS . Is that a wider tire?

·
Premium Member
15,358 Posts
The linkage coming back to the rear axle,,

Could that be disconnected moved to the outside of the hyd lines and then reattach the linkage.

:dunno::dunno:

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
As stated, flip them around, or side to side, doesn't matter as they are turfs and not directional, and you will gain some room.
I can look at mine tonight to see, but I know they are in the wide position and I have no issues.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lines and linkage look to me to be where they belong. I will compare at dealer tomorrow as that's when new line arrives. Turning tires around seems like an easy fix if it will give the clearance I need.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
By the looks of the big gouge in the tire, my guess would be that something lodged itself between the tire and hydraulic lines, causing them to leak. Concerning the 3 pt. hitch, my tractor came with a rubber bungy attached to keep them pulled together. :dunno:

·
Super Moderator
5,377 Posts
Owners manual shows rear tires 31X13.5-15 R3
Mine are31X13.5-15NHS . Is that a wider tire?
The answer to that depends on the tire brand. As a GENERAL rule of thumb, the NHS tires appear to be marginally wider.

Most of the 31x13.515 tires I looked up are physically 13.6" wide.
The 31x13.5-15NHS tires were all 13.8" wide.

That 2/10th of an inch shouldn't result in that sort of damage.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Whats all the stuff on the back axle? Sawdust? Is there any chance there was a lot of the mud on the tire off and on for a long period of time and that wore on the hydraulic lines?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sand on rear axle
I'm in the middle of moving 50 yards. Not on my watch was there a buildup on tires. The lines are either always rubbing or extremely close. Cant believe it was designed that way. I should know more after comparing tractors at dealer tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts