Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This made greasing the infamous u-joint on 2320 a breeze today. See Photos Below. I found this swivel coupler for my grease gun at Ace Hardware. I just added it to my flexible hose with a 1/8 brass pipe coupler. This rigg snapped right onto both zerks. I cannot stress enough how much easier it was with this set-up.

I think I’ll tackle making an access panel opening soon and make this a 5 minute job instead of a PITA. BTW I found this much easier than using the needle fitting. I will also add this to the main posts concerning 2320 u-joint lubrication.

44F3430E-38A3-4D21-AF7F-40E64F945304.jpeg AB0BB767-C1C2-4763-82C8-D8DA4D9EB5EF.jpeg E0D60626-61D6-4037-AE00-1B662539BA9A.jpeg

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Hotfeet thanks for sharing. I just ordered one :good2::good2:

Reactions: Hotfeet and glc

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hotfeet thanks for sharing. I just ordered one :good2::good2:
Hope it works as well for you as it did for me. I still held it with one hand and pumped with the other but it seemed to lock onto the zerk better than my other couplers and needle. Good luck.

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
Hotfeet: Where do you access the front grease fitting from? Do you remove the lower part of the dash, like I do?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,065 Posts
Hope it works as well for you as it did for me. I still held it with one hand and pumped with the other but it seemed to lock onto the zerk better than my other couplers and needle. Good luck.
I'm fairly certain what works on one tractor may or may not work on another. IMO, It all depends on the angle of the zerk fitting and how it was installed on the U-joint.

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
I'm fairly certain what works on one tractor may or may not work on another. IMO, It all depends on the angle of the zerk fitting and how it was installed on the U-joint.
I think you are right. I still want to change u-joints on mine to get the joints with grease fittings in the bearing cap.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hotfeet: Where do you access the front grease fitting from? Do you remove the lower part of the dash, like I do?
I loosen the top and bottom section of the dash and pull the side of the bottom section away from the tractor for access. I left the interior access panel off after my 1st lube job.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My front zerk winds up facing backwards and slightly up. Worst angle possible IMHO.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think you are right. I still want to change u-joints on mine to get the joints with grease fittings in the bearing cap.
I was thinking the same thing before I got this rig put together. You might want to try it out before you tear into it. It really made the job so much easier for me. Now the hardest most time consuming part is loosening the panels. Good luck either way.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just bought a 2012 JD 2520, I'm assuming my U joint will have the same greasing difficulties? I was going to run through all the greasing on loader and tractor this week... should I go ahead and order one of these up assuming i'll have issues? I do have the needle attachment for greasing as well already...

·
Administrator
18,472 Posts
I just bought a 2012 JD 2520, I'm assuming my U joint will have the same greasing difficulties? I was going to run through all the greasing on loader and tractor this week... should I go ahead and order one of these up assuming i'll have issues? I do have the needle attachment for greasing as well already...
Your 2520 does not have this driveshaft.

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
My front zerk winds up facing backwards and slightly up. Worst angle possible IMHO.
I agree. I can't imagine anyone greasing that joint from the bottom of the tractor.

Reactions: Hotfeet and Gizmo2

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree. I can't imagine anyone greasing that joint from the bottom of the tractor.
Greased the front one from the opened up side panel and back one from underneath.

Reactions: DRobinson

·
Registered
168 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's how I do mine (with Moog 410 u joints).
And that’s even better. Now why couldn’t those JD engineers have figured that out to start with. I’m guessing the crappy u-joint was probably 10 cents cheaper.

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
That's how I do mine (with Moog 410 u joints).
With any luck at all, I expect mine to look the same between mowing and snow plowing seasons. Thanks to a friend, I now have the parts, so all that is lacking is time and my labor.

Reactions: Gizmo2 and Kennyd

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,065 Posts
With any luck at all, I expect mine to look the same between mowing and snow plowing seasons. Thanks to a friend, I now have the parts, so all that is lacking is time and my labor.
You're a better man than me.

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
It looks to me like the hardest part of the job is getting the shaft out.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,065 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts