Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 42" forks arrived this last week and I had the perfect job for them. I trimmed my pine trees and had a big pile, I picked them up in one load! could have never done that with my 24" forks which I got with the attachment. Project number 2 today was to remove a large bush from the front yard, I thought I would give the 42" forks a run at popping the bush, I worked for 45 minutes trying to get the roots to pop. I finally put my 24" forks on and was done in 10 minutes. I'm sure you all know this but the curling power was 10x better with the shorter forks.

I guess this supports the idea of "the right tool for the job" :bigthumb:

Nick

Attachments

·
Registered
23,267 Posts
Right tool for the job is right - great example of that.

I took the compromise route by getting the 36". Chris was great in explaining the benefits of the different fork lengths, but I can't easily be changing forks.

Thanks for sharing your experience and pics!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right tool for the job is right - great example of that.

I took the compromise route by getting the 36". Chris was great in explaining the benefits of the different fork lengths, but I can't easily be changing forks.

Thanks for sharing your experience and pics!

You have a good point with the 36" forks, I guess i am at the point of no return! I am almost tempted to buy another attachment for the 42" forks, they are not fun to change.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
The fork tines are heavy.

I'd go 42" because that's what pallets are on the narrow dimension. 48"s end up poking holes in things on the other side (not good).

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I have a set of 42's so far all good. Yes I can see the advantage of the shorter forks.
Buy the why how did you see driving your tractor with that big bush in front of you. Did you have a spotter.:laugh:

Reactions: Levi

·
Premium Member
13,020 Posts
They are heavy, and they don't slide very easily.
X10 !!

I have the 4" tines and they are very heavy and very difficult to slide and remove.

·
Registered
23,267 Posts
What makes the fork length change problematic?
It's a personal thing with me - having RA (Rhematoid Arthritis) I can't lift much of anything anymore.

I don't want anyone to think that the forks are hard to change - in fact Chris's design makes them very easy to change out. It's just me......

·
Registered
2,506 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,020 Posts
I had to take a grinder to mine. They didn't fit at all when I got them. I do put them at about a 45° angle when I switch them out. (and use the hammer)
Angle up, down, wiggle, waggle, grind, hammer, curse. I've tried everything.

Reactions: Levi and Bubber

·
Registered
23,267 Posts
I've found that just a slight angle downward works the best for me. Too much of a downward angle (45°) makes the forks hang up too much in the upper track.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I had to take a grinder to mine. They didn't fit at all when I got them. I do put them at about a 45° angle when I switch them out. (and use the hammer)
Angle up, down, wiggle, waggle, grind, hammer, curse. I've tried everything.
WOW...I thought they all slid as easy as mine.

·
Premium Member
13,020 Posts
Mine were an anomaly. Chris said that he'd never seen Cascade forks not fit.
Make that TWO anomalies as my Cascade forks don't fit either. I have a set of the Artillian 24" forks and they slide back and forth effortlessly. Meanwhile the Cascade forks need to be beat into position with a mallet. The bad part is when I need to adjust them and a mallet isn't nearby.

I may end up buying a new set of 3" forks and putting the Cascade's on Craigslist (or the scrap pile) as they are just too much of a PITA.

The only reason I still have them this long is I don't often need to change the spacing or swap tines. But because they are so difficult to work with I need a VERY VERY big job before going to the blood, sweat and tears of swapping to my 24" forks.

Funny thing, my dad was a lift truck mechanic for 30+ years and has seen every type of fork imaginable. He said any time they had sticky forks usually a quick touch with the grinder would cure the issue. So far grinding as not loosened up my Cascades.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Make that TWO anomalies as my Cascade forks don't fit either. I have a set of the Artillian 24" forks and they slide back and forth effortlessly. Meanwhile the Cascade forks need to be beat into position with a mallet. The bad part is when I need to adjust them and a mallet isn't nearby.

I may end up buying a new set of 3" forks and putting the Cascade's on Craigslist (or the scrap pile) as they are just too much of a PITA.

The only reason I still have them this long is I don't often need to change the spacing or swap tines. But because they are so difficult to work with I need a VERY VERY big job before going to the blood, sweat and tears of swapping to my 24" forks.

Funny thing, my dad was a lift truck mechanic for 30+ years and has seen every type of fork imaginable. He said any time they had sticky forks usually a quick touch with the grinder would cure the issue. So far grinding as not loosened up my Cascades.
Yup, mine stink too, but I don't swap them that much. I need to get after them with the grinder again. They are quite the pain.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts