Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed the fuel filter. The tractor starts ok, shuts off, and runs but will surge in power.

I don't think I have bled the filter of all the air - it can be seen in the short video. I've opened the bleed valve and pumped the fuel pump primer until fluid is coming out the valve - but I never seem to get all the air bubbles out and the glass never fills completely. The second video has some slow motion - not sure that is helpful, but there it is.

I would really appreciate some advice and let me know how to fix and what the heck I did wrong.

Thanks.

2440 Fuel Filter Air - YouTube

2440 Fuel filter-1 - YouTube

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,822 Posts
Changed the fuel filter. The tractor starts ok, shuts off, and runs but will surge in power.

I don't think I have bled the filter of all the air - it can be seen in the short video. I've opened the bleed valve and pumped the fuel pump primer until fluid is coming out the valve - but I never seem to get all the air bubbles out and the glass never fills completely. The second video has some slow motion - not sure that is helpful, but there it is.

I would really appreciate some advice and let me know how to fix and what the heck I did wrong.

Thanks.
Remove the filter and check the machined area, where the rubber seals seat, for foreign objects. Wipe clean, reinstall, bleed the filter again.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Michael and Ram2940 - just the kind of advice/info I needed - cuz I was fresh outta next steps. Will try tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
My 1st thought from viewing you video is man the fan belt sure looks worn & loose.

I've never had much problem changing those rectangular fuel filters & I have never attempted to put fuel into filter before installation. I just remove filter from box then install filter open bleeder screw,pump lever on fuel pump until air free fuel came out close bleeder then start engine.

My guess a valve in fuel transfer pump is not operating correctly.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
My 1st thought from viewing you video is man the fan belt sure looks worn & loose.

I've never had much problem changing those rectangular fuel filters & I have never attempted to put fuel into filter before installation. I just remove filter from box then install filter open bleeder screw,pump lever on fuel pump until air free fuel came out close bleeder then start engine.

My guess a valve in fuel transfer pump is not operating correctly.
Tx Jim - I rebuilt the water pump about 120 hours ago, but will check that to see if something has shifted/loosened. P.S. - new belt too.

I'll give it another shot today and see if it will work. When pumping the prime lever, that bottom reservoir never fills, though I can see the fuel moving - so there may be the problem.

I've not had a problem replacing this filter in past so...I don't know.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
TX Jim - the alternator had slipped and I re-tightened - that may not be the correct belt. I replaced the belt when the water pump was rebuilt and I believe I got that at NAPA so...not sure of the V profile.

Well, I did get it fixed & bled. I think the problem was from the drain plug 'rubber' washer (The bleed plug washer is about in the same state) It was very old - maybe original, cracked and brittle. I put an o-ring on because that was the only thing remotely close that I had on hand. Bled with the primer lever and this morning it ran great - got the arena groomed and drying out from the afternoon showers we've been pelted with.

Thank you all for the input - it is always appreciated.:bigbeer:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts