Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I need some help. I got the Deere 25 G Click-N-Go Sprayer. I never used one before as I used to spot spray and this year ive decided to blanket spray and hit everything.

Is there any particular advice with using this sprayer?
I am using a product called Quincept, can anyone work out how much I need to add to water and spray from this sprayer?
I have just under a half acre to spray.

The next week should be sunshine so I was going to spray tomorrow as its been raining here all week until today.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am trying to do the math on Quincept but not screw it up either.

Quincept says use 128 Fl. Oz per 1 Acre.
I have to do a 0.35 Acre Lot only so I calculated 45 Fl Oz of Quincept needed for weed kill.

Then, on pg 15 of the Sprayer handbook it says the spray GPH released is fixed, and amount released determined by speed. at 4MPH the amount per nozzle sprayed would be 27.2 G per Acre, so again for a 0.35 Acre I calculated 9.5 G Spray released per Nozzle at 4mph. How to determine speed will be pretty difficult, I took that speed as its half way from highest speed of 8mph.

Does anyone use this sprayer that could give me just a better idea? :banghead:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’ve a question.

Is the ground speed – 4MPH or 4km/h?

4 MPH seems fast if you desire thorough wetting of the weeds. Before starting, please confirm 4MPH is the recommended ground speed.

Otherwise, you’ve correctly calculated the amount of Quincept product to use for .35 acre.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ve a question.

Is the ground speed – 4MPH or 4km/h?

4 MPH seems fast if you desire thorough wetting of the weeds. Before starting, please confirm 4MPH is the recommended ground speed.

Otherwise, you’ve correctly calculated the amount of Quincept product to use for .35 acre.
Hi there

Thanks for your reply. So the speed can be 2-6mph, and the rate differs. Its MPH not KPH!

2 MPH = 54.5 Gallons Per Acre Per Nozzle Rate
3 MPH = 36.3
4 MPH = 27.2

I just dont know how I can accurately estimate the speeds!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you can use gps on your cell phone to give you real time speed.
Hi!
This is what I was looking for earlier in the app store but I didnt think there were any accurate for low speeds.
Can you recommend any low speed accurate speed app?

Most were 0-200 but in 20 MPH increments....so not very accurate in the 0-5MPH range

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have not looked for gps apps. But, gps doesn't care how fast or slow. Accuracy is pretty much the same. So, it sounds like you just need an app with enough resolution. Maybe look for hiking or orienteering gps apps, or walk nav apps. Or a stand alone GPS navigator like hunters might use.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here's what is says in the 25 gallon sprayer owner's manual:

Checking Machine Ground Speed
1. Check ground speed in an open area.
2. Measure a test area that is 30.5 m (100 ft) in length.
3. Operate the machine at wide open throttle. Operate machine at a low
speed and drive the machine the test distance. Record the time needed to
travel that distance.
4. Make three passes, recording the time for each pass. The average time
should be 23 to 27 seconds to achieve the recommended operating speed
range:
• The recommended operating speed is 4.0 km/h (2.5 mph). At this
speed, the average time traveling the test distance should be 27
seconds.
5. Adjust accordingly to achieve recommended speed range.

25 Gallon Sprayer Application:
The 25 Gallon Sprayer operates at a fixed pressure of 689 kPa (100 psi).
This yields 20 minutes of spraying time using the spray boom or 42
minutes of spraying time using the handgun. When operating the spray
boom, plan on driving about 4.0 km/h (2.5 mph) or 67 m/min. (220 fpm).
That provides 3065 m2 (33,000 sq ft) of spray coverage per tank. Plan on
about 10 percent overlap, so put enough chemical in the tank for 2787 m2
(30,000 sq ft) of spray coverage.

·
Premium Member
8,846 Posts
My broad leaf spray which I use is mixed at a rate of 1.5 ounces per gallon of water. Some products, excess density of the chemical doesn't help the effectiveness of the spray and is only a waste. Also, your ground speed needs to be at a pace which isn't bouncing the sprayer and you and the tractor going across your lawn or you will likely have inconsistent application.

Funny thing is in all of the spraying i have done for years, I never involved the speed in the product mixture calculation. I simply mix enough product to cover the area based upon prior results. It's better to have to apply another spray in a few weeks than to either waste product on too heavy of an application or from going too fast and not getting the good penetration on the weeds. Getting the weeds leafs wet is what kills them from my experience.

Also, if you have a paved driveway, you can put JUST water in your sprayer and see how wide of a pattern you get and how much water say 5 gallons, provides in coverage as far as distance x width for total square feet. I suggest you do this so you know where to overlap, etc. and make sure to plan with the wind, etc.

Practice with water on the pavement to get feel for the flow. As far as the MPH, if anything, use your phone to determine your average speed for driving at a decent speed and then go from there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, I struggled with ground speed for spraying purposes, too. Eventually, I mounted a CatEye to my tractor, which works very well. I mounted the wire type, not wireless.

However, you need to spray, now.

Is your yard fairly level? I would guess that our X758’s go between 3 - 4 MPH at engine idle with the forward pedal fully depressed.

I’d determine what that speed is. Do you have an open, level space where you can measure the distance your X758 travels in 15 or 30 seconds (for example) with the engine at idle and the forward pedal full depressed? Covert the time and the associated distance traveled to MPH.

If my guess that the tractor ground speed is in the vicinity of 4MPH, calculate the amount of water needed for the actual speed you'll be traveling. You’ll need more water if the speed is slower than 4MPH and less water if the speed is faster than 4MPH, obviously. No matter how much water you use, the amount of Quincept used per acre remains the same.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey everyone,

So I will provide a bit of feedback for both this product use and the sprayer itself.

Sprayer:
According to the manual @2MPH 54.5 Gallons per Acre per nozzle comes out of the sprayer. There are 3 Nozzles.
So 163.5 Gallons sprayed from the 3 nozzle boom in 1 acre.

So in the 0.35 Acre lot, I calculated 57 Gallons would be used.

(This was nowhere near the amount. I used about 20-25 Gallons covering the 0.35 Acre lot at 2MPH.)

There is no need to calibrate this sprayer because it says it sprays at a FIXED amount when the nozzle is fully open)

Post-Emergent Weed Spray Quincept:
The instructions here were not overly helpful.
It states 128 Fl Oz per acre.
So for a 0.35 Acre lot the kill zone amount is 44 Fl Oz.

So my advice would be in a smaller lot. First use water only and just spray water, see how much your lot takes covering all the areas, and then just back calculate how much is needed for a 'kill' in your acreage, and then add that to the amount of water you used. Because the Deere Numbers in the manual from the manufacturer are off!

25 Gallon Sprayer:
So I ordered mine from Shop Green Dealer.
I wasted an hour of my time almost trying to figure out what was wrong with this brand new sprayer that the pump wouldnt come on. I bought the 'Easy Quick Connect' to connect into the 12V outlet.
It wouldnt work! I had the outlet on, I had the switch on, nothing!

Then I checked the fuse box for that outlet, my tractor only has 36 hours but you never know. I can just say dip****ss put the fuse box in this tractor covered with a radiator hose, so its impossible to remove the fuse with your hand, I had to use a needle nose plier to check the fuse. It was fine! Need the skills of a surgeon to put it back in without dropping it forever in the engine bay.

I checked my outlet with another 12V charger and it was also working.

So the brand new "Easy Connect 12V charger' I paid for as an extra was NOT working!
So I then had to connect to the battery, now my switch is almost done in the engine bay, so every time I wanted to turn on and off the switch I had to stop, put on the PARK (because if you lift your asss off the seat the tractor stops) and switch it on/off!
So whomever made this for the x700 needs a kick up the arse! These tractors are not cheap, neither are the owners who buy them. It disappointing that you buy American these days and its either Indian or Chinese.

Shop Green Dealer:
I dont like having to do this, but I have left 3 emails, and 2 voicemails and still havent heard back.
They screwed up two orders. Then delayed another order so long I had to cancel it, and they still sent it anyways and charged me, now ive extra stuff I dont need.

Anyways....thats my rant for the day! It seems like after I put down less post emergent than I should have I will likely be spraying again in 2-3 weeks! I dont know if I did more harm than good
I gave them 1 FL Oz per Gallon, back calculating now should be 1.75 FL. Oz per Gallon. I think I would just round up to 2 FL. Oz per Gallon in future.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I also use just WATER until sure I know just what I need . As for speed I cut a wood 2" x 4" 4 inch,s long and 3 inch,s wide and use on edge under the forward pedal and adjust the motor speed until I find a good speed then see the number of bars on the tack .

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is there any harm to the engine driving the x758 on flat ground on low power like just above idle?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am responding to mktmgr's question about the Cat Eye mounting.

My first application was on an X740, which I will describe. There are many and better ways to mount it; I simply used materials that I had. I now have it mounted on an X758.

First, the magnet mounting.

I took a piece of ½” diameter threaded rod (steel) 8” long, filed the end flat and drilled a blind hole into the end of the rod. I drilled the hole a few mils larger in diameter and deeper in length than the threaded end of the Cat Eye magnet. The threaded end of the magnet is placed into the blind hole and the magnet stays put; the magnet clings to the rod.

I attached the threaded rod (end opposite the magnet) to the rim, in one of the 4 square holes in the rim that are used for mounting wheel weights and secured with a nut on both sides of the rim. (The X758 rims do not have these holes.)

I mounted the sensor to a rod ¾“ in diameter and 3” long. I drilled a ¼” diameter hole through the center of the rod lengthwise and attached it to a piece of angle iron with a ¼ - 20 bolt, with the head of the bolt to the bottom.

This assembly was secured to tractor’s axle housing - after adjusting the probe and magnet so that they are within the distance specified by Cat Eye.

I mounted the computer base to the tractor’s right hand rest. I chose this location since I tend to get on the tractor from the left side, so it is “safer” there and I steer with my left hand and look over my right shoulder when spraying, so it is the optimum side for me for observing speed. Obviously, you can mount it where you choose.

The sensor wire seems light so I ran it through a plastic wire protector, such as found elsewhere on the tractor.

It seems to be fairly accurate. After work Saturday, I wanted to see how fast my X758 goes at engine idle and forward pedal fully depressed. The Cat Eye registered 4.4 MPH; it measures to tenths. I measured the distance and the actual speed of my tractor is 4.35 MPH.

I will attempt to attach 3 pictures. I apologize that they are rotated! This site is new to me and I haven't figured out how to rotate them to the proper orientation. Maybe you can help me with that!

Hope this helps! You may send a personal email if you've more questions.
IMG_1055.JPG
IMG_1059.JPG
IMG_1060.JPG

·
Registered
342 Posts
Is there any harm to the engine driving the x758 on flat ground on low power like just above idle?
Some do this, and they will disagree with me. But, according the owner's manual, these tractors should be operated at full throttle whenever moving in order to develop sufficient hydraulic pressure to push the drive train without damaging the tractor. I don't move mine at anything short of full throttle. Other have and do move at lower rpms and have not reported any problems.....yet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts