Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a '67 2510. The starting switch won't work. It has 12 volts to it but won't start the tractor. The only way I can start it is to jump the terminals on the starter with a screw driver.

Thanks!

·
Registered
982 Posts
If neutral switch and starter switch are operating but still won't start, most likely there is too much voltage drop through the wiring to activate the starter. The 2510 never had a starter relay from the factory. Installing a relay will assure that full battery voltage goes to the starter "S" terminal. Deere makes an upgrade kit to install one. Part number RE44536.

·
Registered
2 Posts
4020 Lp question

I'll add to what jd110 stated that you can buy a relay(RE164448) from JD for $25.37 & make your own wiring harness.
RE44536 Starter Motor Kit - ADD 147.89 USD pictured below.
Jim- I am new to site and seems we live only a few miles apart(Alvarado).I am restoring 4020 jd propane and am confused on hookup lines from tank to carb.Do you have one to look at or know someone in our area that knows about jd LP tractors.Thanks for any info

·
Registered
2 Posts
Propane hookup

Thanks Jim, in answer to your question, the electric solenoid valve is attached to line coming from tank. The outlet side of the solenoid is not in question for me, it's at the tank hook up where I am confused. I have a diagram that shows tank with its fittings with both liquid and vapor lines going to solenoid. My tractor has only one line coming from right port on tank, and no connections on left port. I have never run this tractor but have been overhauling motor and previous owner had it running with this setup. I am almost to the stage of hooking up gas connections to start tractor, but would like to see if this set up is right before doing so. I am not very computer savvy and this website gives me fits, but I will try to send pics if I can figure it out.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
12,176 Posts
Hi, I have a '67 2510. The starting switch won't work. It has 12 volts to it but won't start the tractor. The only way I can start it is to jump the terminals on the starter with a screw driver.

Thanks!
This is the add for safety.
There was once a upgrade program by Deere to install all tractors with this solenoid cover kit(#9).
The cover prevents the exact same thing you're doing to start your tractor. Many people have gotten hurt; and some killed by short-circuiting the starting system. The kit was installed at No-Charge to the equipment owner. I don't know if the program is still going on, but yours should have had it installed.

The part number for your tractor is RE39061

Reactions: em14

·
Registered
982 Posts
Jim- I am new to site and seems we live only a few miles apart(Alvarado).I am restoring 4020 jd propane and am confused on hookup lines from tank to carb.Do you have one to look at or know someone in our area that knows about jd LP tractors.Thanks for any info
Sonny53, I have no experience with LP gas tractors but here is a parts diagram of the hookups at the tank.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts